OBT Escape Saga continued...

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arlius said:
Try and quickly block off escape with sticky tape, can make large area, just as long as it can go beyond the border. Just do it quick. Once done, try and capture camly, have a towel, a bowl, and some long skinny poker on hand. Best of luck!
I think any kind of motion near the spider could spook it... moving quickly at all is probably not a good idea. It all depends on how far back the spider can retreat... would it be possible for the spider to get all the way underneath the house from where it is?

-Kelly

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's just it, that wall joins the kitchen, I assume knowing what I know about spiders if I prod it, it will first try to go backwards, further in the "burrow", but I do not know where that would take him as it's an old house. To the left there is about 7 feet of baseboard, and another shelf, same kind as the one on the right. I am most concerned about having it go backwards and not being able to locate it again.

I have no vendetta against the spider, but have no issue whatsoever with killing it in order to make sure it is not loose in the house.

If anyone takes issue with that, I am really and totally not in the mood right now for that.

Which method based on this info do you feel is best?

I should also note that it seems much smaller than my initial impression as it was escaping the other day.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
kellygirl said:
I think any kind of motion near the spider could spook it... moving quickly at all is probably not a good idea. It all depends on how far back the spider can retreat... would it be possible for the spider to get all the way underneath the house from where it is?

-Kelly
I think it is entirely possible that it could go under and into the kitchen somewhere, or even up into the wall. I am going to take another look...

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think your best option is to spray it. I hate that, I really do. But for your safety and sanity and for the safety of your children, it seems like the best (almost only) option. If the spider were to end up beneath your home, it probably wouldn't starve to death but the temperatures (too high or too low) could certainly cause premature death.

No decent person is going to judge you for whichever choice you make, Sheri. Go with your gut and do what you think is best and what you think you are best able to do.

-Kelly

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Turn the lights off and use red light if you can, and just move slowly, deliberately and camly, with no mistakes. It looks like you can get in behind it. Dont touch anything with poker till you abosuletly have to (reach baseboard)
Just make sure you scare it forward, hopefully into your tape boundry!

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arlius said:
Turn the lights off and use red light if you can, and just move slowly, deliberately and camly, with no mistakes. It looks like you can get in behind it. Dont touch anything with poker till you abosuletly have to (reach baseboard)
Just make sure you scare it forward, hopefully into your tape boundry!
There is no way to guarantee that the spider wouldn't bolt instantly. In the given situation, there is no way to predict what will happen. Sheri, more than likely, has only one chance here.

Unless, somehow, you could fashion a metal clothes hanger so that you could make it reach in the crack and behind the tarantula in a single motion, you might be able to get it to come out. But you'd have to be fairly confident in your action because you'll only get one try.

-Kelly

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think a chopstick moved very slowly in behind it to scare it forward would work. Have 2 ready.... It shouldnt move without sufficient stimuli
If you are careful, you can ge in behind it, then it shouldnt be a problem.
To much stress.... kill it
But getting close to it for a spray may spook it too. The spray may make it sick for awhile and not kill it, then stuck in same position. Spraying safer option though....

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I went to get the tools ready, the wires to prod it out, and the deli cup etc.

It's gone. Not there. I should have sprayed it. I will keep watch now, until I see it again and then take care of it.

Thanks all for the advice, but disposing of it as quickly and safely as possible is what I will do, if I see it again.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oops! That's a bummer. Hopefully it hasn't gone far. I actually really have to go home and get to bed--it's 2:45am where I am and I'm still at my parents' house. I really hope you find the little bugger! Best of luck, Sheri. Hope you get the chance to sleep some time or another! Good night.

-Kelly

meatbeef

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Damn, what a bummer.
Good luck Sherri. No matter what you have to end up doing, the safety of you and the kids is number 1.

I agree that taking no chances is the best option now.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Located it... it is in the furthest part of the baseboard, in the thinnest section, no access right now.
Checking every 15 minutes or so. Moved the other spiders to another room, taped off the side of the shelf that could allow it to escape, and will spray it as soon as it reveals more of itself.

Very tired, but happy to know where it is.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe, hard to say. I think I might try that when the store opens.

That, or having someone else here to help me get at it and catch it if it bolts.

Either way, it'll be over in a few hours, thank dog.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Might be worth a try before spraying it. :) I second the idea of having a second person to help.

If eats the cricket before you can lure it out, it may decide to stay there. Dark, quiet spot with a supply of food. I dunno, trying to think of anything, even off the wall stuff, that could help. :)

Good luck!

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
whata nice hunt, I agree try the method wth the cricket, try a last time to catch it alive ;) would be nice to get it back, you would remember this spider all your life

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Hi Sheri! I hope you get this done swiftly and safely as soon as possible!

Another suggestion, but I don't know if you have the possibility, is to use a dubia roach on a string. You could tie the string to one of the back legs, above the "knee".
Because -

A: dubias have extremely strong back legs, you can't pull them off like on a cricket. If you pull it off you basically have to pull apart the roach. So the leg is a good place to attach a string to...

And B and more important - dubias love small crevices and will readily escape from you into one and scuttle in there and use all their extreme strength to get further in if you bother it by tugging on the string.

Best of luck!!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I hope everything has turned out well.

When it does - can you post some pics of your kids' room? What I can see of it looks amazing!

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Becca, here is a link to the thread about the room, and some more pics of it. I am very jealous now and wish it were mine.

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
off the wall stuff? they have this cool stuff at the hardware store that is like spray epoxy and if you could get it just right you could get your t back with only the loss of one of its limbs :D
sorry too off the wall, i like the idea of trying to lure it out with a roach that seems like it might work. just try to tease the t with the food and once it is far enough out simultaneosly give it the food and cover it with a fish net.
and then laugh at it ;P