1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OBT death curl

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by MorkaTC, Feb 13, 2019 at 5:00 PM.

1. MorkaTC

MorkaTC Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So, my OBT molted fine, she drank the water dish and ate a superworm after molting, she was doing fine, but today, she was walking around all the enclosure like crazy and then became in a death curl position, i put her in a ICU and i don't know what to do, is the first time this happens to me, sugerences and tips please :C

2. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    First of all, take it out from there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MorkaTC

MorkaTC Arachnopeon

i made it, now, what should i do?

4. BoyFromLA

CA
    It would be very helpful to share a picture or two of it’s enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MorkaTC

MorkaTC Arachnopeon

IMG_0030.JPG

Attached Files:

6. BoyFromLA

CA
  7. MorkaTC

MorkaTC Arachnopeon

8. BoyFromLA

CA
    I honestly can’t tell the exact size of it, but by the comparison of the water bottle cap, I assume it’s about 2” or so (correct me if I am wrong).

I wouldn’t bother feeding for about more than two weeks after molt on that size, but just provide enough water source.

Would it be just possible that you mistook it’s recovery from molt as death curl and put it to ICU (which wasn’t needed at all).

From the pictures, I can’t seem to find much problems with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MorkaTC

MorkaTC Arachnopeon

i tapped her with a sof brush and the T moves with her legs like shaking, i don't really know if she is okay, i will let her alone for a couple hours and then see what happens, thanks for the help!

10. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    Putting this species in an ICU would be counter-productive, as they're an arid species and suffer greatly when stuck in a wet, stuffy environment. You're not wetting down the substrate or anything, are you?

That enclosure also looks very tall for your T, and looks like it needs a LOT more substrate for a P. murinus to boot - these guys are adaptable, but are burrowers first and foremost. You said she was wandering around before going into a death curl? Is it possible she was climbing the sides and fell, particularly on that little ship you've got in there, or something else hard? Being so fresh out of a molt, a fall like that could be catastrophic, even for a juvenile T.

Has anyone been spraying chemicals in your house? Poisoning could also be what is going on here. Or possibly a bad feeder. Is this your only T, and if not, are any other Ts showing problems, or just the P. murinus?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 11:07 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

You said she was doing fine post moult? Was she moving/ambulating all right? If she was, something had to have happened such as a fall or accidental poisoning. It’s very bizarre that this seemingly happened so quickly. I’m afraid all you can do now is give her access to water and hope she pulls through.

12. darkness975

darkness975 the sun grows ever darker Arachnosupporter

How long after molting did you wait to feed it? Were the fangs sufficiently hardened?

Based on the information you provided a complication from molting is a fairly possible explanation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnobaron Old Timer

Even if she/he damage its fangs by to early feeding, it shouldnt die like that, so quick! My guess is that it hurt itself during moulting? Maybe got a severe fracture. Did you leave the spider alone during this time? Can you see any damage on the spider, i thinking abdomenal fracture and such!?

14. Potatatas

Potatatas Arachnosquire Active Member

UK
    Is it actually a death curl? I thought they flipped on their backs for that? To my eyes looks more like a stress position but I'm probs wrong.

I think you need more substrate in there though, there is a lot of height and OBTs often burrow as someone mentioned above. Might be best to leave her be for now though, moving her to add sub will only stress her more.

15. MorkaTC

MorkaTC Arachnopeon

She couldn't make it, thanks for the tips by the way, RIP

• Sad Sad x 4
  16. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    No, most death curls happen right side up. That's generally how you can tell a T is molting and not dying.

Sorry for your loss, hopefully information in this thread will be useful and you'll have better luck in the future.