OBT communal

darkfire194

Arachnopeon
yea so today i set up my first communal tank i did a ton of research on it and decided i would try a tank with obt's ( Usambar baboon's) so i set up a 10 gallon tank with tons of hides and plants it's a full tank and i just put in 3 1 inch Obt's so we'll see how it goes from here.....hopefull nobody eats anybody else onlt time will tell i guess ....well see ya

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should be just fine as long as you've got a zillion hides. Put your water bowl in the middle of them and feed well! lol
Seriously though, it sounds like you have everything done right.
The one thing to remember is that slings can and will escape from a regular aquarium/screen lid combo. They are regular Houdini's like that. {D Sooo ~ until they are over 2" I recommend keeping some masking tape around the seam of your lid.
We've had great luck with our own communals, but have always found at least one or two potential jailbreakers on the tape before they were grown. Grim, but true. I wouldn't worry too much if you do find one; two eventually grown P. murinas is about all I would expect from a 10 gallon.
Good luck and keep us posted with pics! ;)

darkfire194

Arachnopeon
yep i got tons of hides and already took care of the top with masking tape ..and i thought they might get stuck so i taped from the other side so the sticky is faceing up and they just crawl on the smooth side....but so far so good they all have kinda seperated out and little webs are starting to appear......what have you done in ways of communal projects ...like which T's did you use?

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not to hijack this thread, but I had a question on reintroducing OBTs to live communally. I bought six .75-1.25" siblings that had been co-habitating back in October and kept them all together for about two weeks. I separated them and they've been living in their own individual containers since about late October/ early November. Would it be too risky to put them back together in the same enclosure? They're all around the 1.75-2.25" mark.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yep i got tons of hides and already took care of the top with masking tape ..and i thought they might get stuck so i taped from the other side so the sticky is faceing up and they just crawl on the smooth side....but so far so good they all have kinda seperated out and little webs are starting to appear......what have you done in ways of communal projects ...like which T's did you use?
P.murinas . Every time! lol {D

darkfire194

Arachnopeon
Not to hijack this thread, but I had a question on reintroducing OBTs to live communally. I bought six .75-1.25" siblings that had been co-habitating back in October and kept them all together for about two weeks. I separated them and they've been living in their own individual containers since about late October/ early November. Would it be too risky to put them back together in the same enclosure? They're all around the 1.75-2.25" mark.
wish i could help man but this is my first try with doing anything communal ....i dont know mine are all right at 1inch....but were seperated before i put them together and i havent had any problems yet ....so my opnion might be risky...but still could work ......

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At this point I would say put them back together. But hurry. And provide LOTS of hides. We had the most luck with a 5 obt to 30 gallon ratio.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I don't have a 30 gallon tank and I'm guessing that may be overkill at this point, but I'm sure I can find a good size sweater box, or something, at Wal-Mart. My little guys each had a big meal yesterday, so I should probably do this tonight before they get hungry and see their siblings as potential meals.

tamjam69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can you keep adult OBT's together? as in from spiderlings to mature OBT's? . may seem a silly question. Will they grow and still be communal:eek: ?