O. schioedtei

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I will post pix of the actual enclosures later, as all 3 have been recently rehoused. Ill try to capture the cool webbing
That would be really helpful, I would like to add more cover as @cold blood has said, I'll snip a few leaves off of one of the fake plants I have to provide some extra cover, the schioedtei must be a couple of inches now, I'll try to get a photo tonight when it is out and about, if it's been long enough after its molt.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yours is looking stunning, it's getting the adult colours. Have you any idea how old yours is, and how long have you had it and what size was it when you first got it. I'm trying to find out how quickly they grow, mines has molted twice in a couple of months and with each molt has changed significantly, in size and colour. If it keeps growing at this rate I'll be really happy!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ive had a lot of schioedtei and they grow fairly fast.
The 3 i currently have (1.2.0) were aquired back in Apr or May.

I aquired the male first in Apr at about 3", then i got both girls in mid May at around 2.5"... they were sold to me as a pair, which turned out to be an error in my favor haha..

Ive been working at pulling my females ahead in size, but theyve all molted ONCE in my care and have shot up to around maybe 4" +/-

Ive had 1"/2 slings grow to 1.5" or more in a couple months.

Any others i have just picked up as adult female

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont really provide too much cover.

Schioedtei will either burrow deep if given substrate, or they will make dirt curtains around their cork.

I provide plastic plants mostly for aesthetic reasons. I dont use real plants with sp that tend ro burrow, as roots grow underground and its hard enough keeping plants alive in an enclosure as it is.. dont need a spider diggin around the roots

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
20170705_100627.jpg 20170705_100524.jpg

This is my male. Its the first male ive ever had, and hes been a split pea green since the day i got him ( again, around 2.5") so dimorphism can be very apparent early on in this sp.

He is now a beautiful metallic green and his carapace has taken on a blackish chevron pattern on it.

My females are the typical jet black with only a greenish tan carapace. Both are easily sexed ventrally as well. Pretty obvious!

I expect one or two more molts before my male matures so i only offer him 1 cricket weekly, while my females get 2 or 3 crickets a couple times a week. I also keep my girls warmer while he stays cool. Hopefully i can keep them pulling ahead size wise. After inspecting their last molts i assume theyll both be breedable by their next molt anyways

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You really should. Like any reclusive species, they do appreciate and use additional cover.
i agree. I should have clarified i dont "for now"..
As slings/juvies they do most the work.

After their next molts i will rehouse into their adult enclosures that will have it.
Im planning on using less sub/more cover to influence their semi arboreal tendency rather than having them dig

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
View attachment 246751 View attachment 246752

This is my male. Its the first male ive ever had, and hes been a split pea green since the day i got him ( again, around 2.5") so dimorphism can be very apparent early on in this sp.

He is now a beautiful metallic green and his carapace has taken on a blackish chevron pattern on it.

My females are the typical jet black with only a greenish tan carapace. Both are easily sexed ventrally as well. Pretty obvious!

I expect one or two more molts before my male matures so i only offer him 1 cricket weekly, while my females get 2 or 3 crickets a couple times a week. I also keep my girls warmer while he stays cool. Hopefully i can keep them pulling ahead size wise. After inspecting their last molts i assume theyll both be breedable by their next molt anyways
I've not seen mine since it molted, that was at some point last week, I'll get up early morning, 2-3am and have a look later, the two molts in my care have been carefree, I've had it since it was a 1/2" sling maybe slightly smaller and now it's got to be at the 2" mark, I hope when I see it , it isn't green like your male and has started to get the tan carapace, I'm really hoping for a female, of course, TBH I should have bought 3-4 of these guys they're great little spiders to observe - ha when you get to see them. I would love to breed these sp. as they're so pretty and unusual IMO.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
get used to that.:meh:
Oh believe me I have...even before its last molt it was a reclusive sp. I'm thinking though, maybe as it gets older and less skittish it will become more visible, @grayzone have you found that with yours, the older they are the less reclusive they become.

cold blood

Staff member
IME they get more reclusive with age actually.:banghead: Its literally impossible to get a good pic...they are a species that you always have the camera ready when re-housing....cause they are spectacular.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
ME they get more reclusive with age actually.:banghead: Its literally impossible to get a good pic...they are a species that you always have the camera ready when re-housing....cause they are spectacular.
I'll have the camera at the ready then, so IYE they become even more reclusive, wow, how's that even possible, I know it is but come on....:banghead::snaphappy:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Out of all ive had most are very reclusive, as cold blood mentioned.
Most asians are active at night so youre best opportunity to see them is when its darkened and gets calm around the house.

Ive had 2 females (one of them being a female i currently own) who didnt mind being visible, but they appear to be oddballs and just a case of individualism.

The last adult i had was a complete psycho t. She didn't mind showing herself, but she also let it be known she could defend herself! Hopefully the juvie i have now acts like that too. I love a t with attitude

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Out of all ive had most are very reclusive, as cold blood mentioned.
Most asians are active at night so youre best opportunity to see them is when its darkened and gets calm around the house.

Ive had 2 females (one of them being a female i currently own) who didnt mind being visible, but they appear to be oddballs and just a case of individualism.

The last adult i had was a complete psycho t. She didn't mind showing herself, but she also let it be known she could defend herself! Hopefully the juvie i have now acts like that too. I love a t with attitude
They're the special ones, oddballs seem to have their own unique demeanour(obviously), I like the sp. that have attitude, it helps you to respect what they're capable of. I can't say I've any oddballs at the moment but I have had them in the past, a B. smithi that never ever kicked setae ever, and they were so laid back, yep two oddballs of the same sp. B. smithi now hamorri yet they were years apart, the last one was just over a year ago, he went to hook up with a few ladies....three gravid ladies after he'd been to visit, yep a real champ.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IME they get more reclusive with age actually.:banghead: Its literally impossible to get a good pic...they are a species that you always have the camera ready when re-housing....cause they are spectacular.
I was watching tv tonight and noticed the leaves moving in the schioedtei tank. I looked and it was out, which it does do occasionally. Typically, as soon as I start opening the lid it dives back underground, but tonight it stayed still and let me get some pics. 20170724_203754.jpg 20170724_204041.jpg 20170724_204321.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Wow, nice shots. I can't believe you opened the cage without her hiding....I swear mines gone at the slightest anything.....yesterday morning mine was out, went to make an attempt at a pic, touched the enclosure side ever so gently with the fleshy part of my thumb...it was enough...gone!!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Wow, nice shots. I can't believe you opened the cage without her hiding....I swear mines gone at the slightest anything.....yesterday morning mine was out, went to make an attempt at a pic, touched the enclosure side ever so gently with the fleshy part of my thumb...it was enough...gone!!
That's exactly the way mines reacts, the slightest vibration and it's off, bolting into it's dirt curtain, whoosh gone, I'll try to get pictures some time this year!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Better shots of the enclosure, after I added more cover, do you think more ground space is needed?
IMG_0798.JPG
She's in the dirt curtain - I hope!
IMG_0799.JPG
In the second picture you can see the tube web, she's hiding in, the cover is much better, but there's less floor space, would you upgrade to a wider enclosure - even though the spider is still quite small, the last molt was over an inch, so its size now, since I have not seen the little beauty it may be fine, I'm just not sure! I'm going to try to get her out and about - how I've no clue, but given that I haven't seen her since the molt, probably only a week ago, I'm a little worried about her.

Here's the enclosure - showing the floor space she has left, I keep saying she, it's an unconfirmed sp. but hopefully it's a female.
IMG_0797.JPG

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
@grayzone @cold blood I've just checked to see if the O. schioedtei was alright and to my relief here a are the pictures to let you see her in all her splendour.
IMG_0802.JPG

She's looking massive, since her last molt she's almost doubled in size again, she's got to be around the 2.5" mark.
IMG_0803.JPG

I'm saying she, as what @grayzone has said they are sexually dimorphic from a young age, I don't see any green on her so I'm still assuming that it's a female. I was really worried about her, I had to open her tube web to see her, she bolted around the side of the enclosure, so I managed to get these great shots.