1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O-M-G. Look at this isopod

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by LittleOddIsopod, Jan 9, 2018.

1. LittleOddIsopod

LittleOddIsopod Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    If you saw my other thread, you are aware that I am currently trying to isolate a “pied” variation of A. Vulgare. So far I have 4 specimens that I am working with, and I just found this new one tonight. I’m so stoked, I have never seen this kind of patterning anywhere in the Armadillidium genus (only Porcellio). It’s almost like a progression from Dalmatian to a solid black/dark grey.
    3084A644-6638-4F26-894F-803BAE5CFD49.png C80DA414-4FBF-4E69-86BB-CC0045722167.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnodemon Active Member

Utah
    Fabulous find! I wish you the best of luck in fixing a strain from these!

3. LittleOddIsopod

Thank you! You too, how are your isopods doing? What species do you keep?

4. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince

Very nice, hopefully with five of these beauties you'll be able to isolate this morph! :D Keep us updated!

• Like Like x 1
  5. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

It is very interesting how the Dalmatian patterning only occurs from the tail upwards and not over the whole body like with other Dal isopods. I can't wait to see offspring from this group! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnodemon Active Member

Utah
    Most of mine are doing quite well, i am trying to build back numbers after selling off quite a few recently. At present I keep 19 different types (including morphs within species],I need to update my list! :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. pirminiamac

pirminiamac Arachnosquire Active Member

I keep a few types of isopods and have always wondered how exactly people go about separating the specific ones they want to breed from?? It must be ridiculously time consuming no?

8. LittleOddIsopod

If you have just one isopod with the desired trait, yes. Because you must breed it with normal ones, and then breed their offspring, and repeat this step collecting the occasional one that inherits the trait you want. If you have lots of the morph, it’s pretty easy, you just have to be constantly be removing any isopods with normal markings. Do you have a specific trait you want to isolate, or were you husts curious? If you do, feel free to PM me and I can walk you through how to go about it. I am currently working on isolating a couple of morphs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pirminiamac

I noticed a few giant orange with a dark vertical stripe running the length of the body, I will try and get a pic next time, do you think anything special or not?

10. Matttoadman

Matttoadman Arachnoknight

Us
    Very nice. Hopefully Those traits can be fixed, cause would there be a better name to fit that morph than “Appaloosa?”
    219A69C4-4B47-4913-A564-C26DC0105029.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. pirminiamac

Maybe,,I will pm you about it,,haha yes! Appaloosa would be perfect!

12. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince

You are just seeing their dark gut contents, it's not a special morph or anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. pirminiamac

Makes sense, I see this with my dwarf whites too, just thought they were maybe more translucent or something

14. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince

It's easier to see the gut contents on pale species/color morphs, including dwarf whites and orange Porcellio. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. LittleOddIsopod

I would love to see a pic, because it may or may not be a genetic trait. An Isopods digestive tract is near the surface, running down its back, so in certain morphs it is very visible (often after eating). What you are talking about could be a genetic trait, I would have to see pics to tell.

16. LittleOddIsopod

I wonder if you could breed isopod for transparency, eventually getting a translucent isopod, that would be awesome!

17. pirminiamac

Next time I'm doing some maintenance I'll get a shot

18. pirminiamac

That would be SO kl

19. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

The P. scaber "Whiteout"/"Snow" morph and its relatives like "Yellow Snow", "Snow Koi" and "Ghost" are all fairly translucent and have white or lavender eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    OMG, it's a GMO!

• Funny Funny x 1