NW Tarantulas like the A. Geniculata

Chris123

Arachnopeon
I was wonder if there are other new world tarantulas similar to the A. Geniculata?

Criteria:
1) Size
2) Appetite
3) Beauty

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, many large NW terrestrials share these traits...although #3 is highly subjective.

cold blood

Staff member
Almost any Pamphobetus, any Phormictipus, N. chromatus and tripeppii, G. iheringi, any Xenesthis, G. pulchripes, any Lasiodora (not as pretty)...to name some off the top of my head.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I was wonder if there are other new world tarantulas similar to the A. Geniculata?

Criteria:
1) Size
2) Appetite
3) Beauty
How about the other Acanthoscurria species? There are several available.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
CB is right, #3 is subjective. While there are many species that are considered to be attractive by most, some are simply a matter of taste.

Example, there are some that consider LPs to be drab and boring in appearance. I disagree. They are not flashy-coloured, but they certainly are not unattractive by my standards. I guess you could say that their appearance is more subtle. But I cannot call this drab or unattractive...granted the appearance is slightly enhanced by the use of a flash, but I just ambled over to take a critical look at her and the photo is pretty close to her actual appearance.

Also, it looks like another spider is just off camera pointing and laughing. "Ha! Ha! You're drab!"

m_IMG_8416crop2.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I am not certain how large it gets when it matures, but when it comes to criteria #2, Brachypelma vagans seems very well fitting, and while it’s highly subjective matter as @cold blood said, but in my opinion, Brachypelma vagans fits pretty well in criteria #3 as well.

C7941719-642D-4985-BABF-B5868DC5B043.jpeg

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Phormictopus , Pamphobeteus I think some nhanduscan get on the larger side but not sure
I consider my pcam like an arboreal a genic. Some people don't consider Lasiodora beautifull but I like them

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There's nothing quite like A. geniculata, there's a good reason why it's one of the most beloved species in the hobby.
G. pulchripes comes closest, perhaps not quite as big but definitely pretty and with good appetite
Phormictopus species do meet all your criteria but there's a big difference in temperament.
From the Nhandu genus only tripepii gets as big as A. geniculata, it does have a great appetite but it's not as pretty in my opinion. Same for every Lasiodora and Pamphobeteus (except for the really pricey ones like sp. Solaris, ultramarinus, I'm referring to the females obviously)
Xenesthis might also qualify but they have a different build type, longer legs and not as bulky also a lot pricier.
Sericopelmas, some claim they get to giant sizes, I haven't personally seen one quite as large as A. geniculata, they're mostly brown but there are some that look very pretty like sp. Santa-Catalina.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well, you will probably discover that Phormictopus is superior to all else in all of your three categories eventually. Just my opinion. It is a mortal sin to not own an A Genic but nothing really holds a torch to Phormictopus.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Another thing about Phormictopus is that they come in many colors. Blue, green, violet, gold and combos.

If you like surprises. P cancerides can change colors everymolt. It is like one of those stupid gender reveal parties everytime they molt

Last edited by a moderator:

MainMann

Arachnosquire
All Phormictopus spp. fits your bill pretty well, but when smaller they tend to hide a bit more than your average NW terrestrial. Another great contender is N. chromatus, love this species soo much! But as most posters have already said, alot of NW terrestrials fit those 3 criteria, maybe brachys and grammos aren't the best of eaters, but thats pretty much it!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
F9D8B42D-9132-4BA8-8AD2-9B87DDD6310F.jpeg

p. auratus! I think they’re gorgeous (though, this one has been sealed away for a couple of weeks). Yes, I removed the cricket lol