Now he wants a trap door spider!

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, I got into Ts by buying one for my Grandson who just loves them.....we started out with a b smithi (Cooly) we love him and then we got a sling E Camp. from a breeder.....anyway, now he has decided he wants a trap door spider! Yikes! I don't know anything about those. They're not even Ts right? I know you'll hardly ever see it, is this a good spider for a newbie?

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ive never kept one...but....

They are very amusing pets for the price you will pay. They will require a large jar or a kritter keeper cylindrical fish bowl. You need at least 8 inches of substrate, or if you are generous, 12.

For the substrate, the usual 50/50 peat/something else. start a burrow on the side of the enclosure, and it should continur to make a burrow there, making a deep pit and a door out of web. As something walks by, saw a cricket, they have their legs peeking out and in the blink of an eye, snatch it down. If you were lucky enough to have them build it on the side, you will see the rest of the process.

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sounds good

thanks for the info!
Sounds like that may be my next little project!

8leggedfreak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got an african red trapdoor spider that just recently molted. I've posted a picture of the molt in a previous post.

As far as the substrate goes, I use 100% top soil about 6 inches deep. I tried a 50/50 mix but it hated peat moss. I think because the peat moss is too light, I had even packed it down and premade a burrow for it but it just filled it back in and refused to make a burrow in it. Once I changed back to topsoil it burrowed in and sealed itself up by the next morning. It doesn't seem to burrow very deep either, only about 2 inches

8leggedfreak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never been tagged by it but I have read that their venom is pretty potent. I live right next to a hospital though(think I should try it?)
And no trapdoors are not T's

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cost?

Do you thin $25 is about right for a Black Trap Door Spider about the size of a quarter? I saw one in a petstore by my home.

8leggedfreak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well...... I only paid $15 for my red and it's a lot bigger then a quarter. You should see if they'll make a deal with you. If not then you have to decide how bad you really want it.

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
reptile show this weekend

I'm planning on going to a reptile show in Taylor Michigan on Saturday & Bryan should be there from Cronoss. I think I'll wait & see what he has.
What do you keep your in again?

8leggedfreak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have mine in a small 5 gallon hexagonal tank, filled about 3" or 4" deep with soil slightly on the dry side

Attachments