1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not taking to new enclosure

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Nmass, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Nmass

Nmass Arachnopeon

Utah
    Advertisement
    I could use some advice. I recently acquired a Brachypelma albopilosum from a keeper here locally. He claimed her to be about 2 years old and she is a good size maybe 4 - 4.5 inches. She came in an enclosure that seemed way to small for her size, after talking with a friend that also keeps these wonderful creatures he recommended that I move her to a lager space. The space she came from had bone dry coco fiber and seemed like it hadn’t been changed in a very long time. In her new enclosure I provided her with 3 inches of moist, not wet coco fiber as this is what was recommended and what I had read, there is a lot of conflicting information on humidity levels. My understating was that she might appreciate a slightly moist substrate, maybe I was wrong? In her last enclosure she was always hanging out in the open and very active. I have not once seen her on the new substrate, I have only seem her either sitting on top of her hide which came from the last enclosure or on the side glass, I even found her hanging from the top of the enclosure which I have never seen a terrestrial species do. Maybe I am paranoid but this seems like odd behavior to me, should I think about removing her and letting the substrate dry out more?

2. I wet almost half of the substrate and I often see mine hanging out on the wet side.
    Never had mine up the wall so I’d say it might be a little too wet.

3. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron Active Member

Yeah that means it may be a little too wet post pics of the setup if possible so we can help you out.
    Tarantulas can stay in pretty small containers so how small are we talking.
    Humidity is irrelevant

4. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
    I have a Brachypelma albopilosum that wont touch loose substrate he really doesn't like it wet or dry. you could try packing the substrate down as best you can. I also agree with the other posts it could also be too wet

5. Nmass

Nmass Arachnopeon

Utah
    Those are all very good points. Thank you. See attached photo. The enclosure has the same floor space as a 10 gallon aquarium but is not as tall. I'm really new at this but loving it so far, I aperciate everyone's input.

Attached Files:

6. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I can't tell how much height there is from this image, but I would encourage you to replace or cover the screen lid.

Even terrestrial tarantulas will climb, and they can get their tarsal claws stuck in mesh. When this happens, they may amputate a leg or fall in an attempt to free themselves. (See Replace screen tops!)

A determined escape artist can also pry the mesh free from the frame.

A common replacement is acrylic with holes drilled into it. If you're handy, you can make an entirely new lid. If you're less handy, here is @basin79's fix:

7. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
    @Ungoliant what about the heavy gauge mesh lids, are those dangerous as well? I read the post you linked but nobody seemed to have an answer about the heavy gauge mesh

8. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron Active Member

Yeah substrate looks a bit wet...

9. Ungoliant

Do you have a picture of it? If it's like the metal lids you sometimes see on reptile enclosures, that might be OK, as the holes are too big to trap claws, and the metal is too strong to pry loose or chew through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
    that's exactly what it is, an all metal mesh top

11. Ungoliant

I wouldn't expect that lid to be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I disagree, I think some Ts would get caught on that screen top as well, despite the larger grid.

13. viper69

He's a flat out LIAR

I own this species and 2 yr is not 4" !!

I keep my AF in a ExoTerra Breeder Box large, no issues, no fall distance to worry about.

14. Nmass

Nmass Arachnopeon

Utah
    Well, being that size how old would you estimate her to be?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2018
  15. viper69

Can't give you a reliable estimate, too may variables go into size of a T, age is but one.