Not for beginners?

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was interesting to see this thread come up again and to see my comments, especially a week after my T. blondi male (8") molted. I still hate those hairs, but I got him less than six months after that post. I still say find out what "it" needs then make sure you can meet those needs before you buy "it". If you do that, you'll seldom be disappointed.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No, Brazil is New World.

New World T's are from the America's,
and Old World T's are from Asia and Africa.

(Are we going include Australia as OW now??)
Yes, Australian tarantulas are OW, as are ones from Africa, Asia, and Europe.

pedipalps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think Haplopelma spp. and Poecilotheria spp. are not begginer's T's because of their agresiveness and fast movements. I also read that some pokies has greater potent venom effect. Better yet, you have to research to get good information.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:[is it me but alot of this seems a bit old ? :? then i guess things comes around from time to time :) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Jennifer

Arachnopeon
Adding to the collection..

We currently have a pink toe, and are going to expand our collection with a mexican red knee, but are offered a freebie T. One of the options was a Brazilian Salmon (lasiodora parahybana). Was really looking for some more input on this species (other than there size). They are about 1/4", both species. This will be our first little ones.

Yes, it seems I have pulled this thread out of the moth balls {D .

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We currently have a pink toe, and are going to expand our collection with a mexican red knee, but are offered a freebie T. One of the options was a Brazilian Salmon (lasiodora parahybana). Was really looking for some more input on this species (other than there size). They are about 1/4", both species. This will be our first little ones.

Go with L. parahybana, the "poor man's blondi". I bought my first LP last week and it's very active and a good eater. Only set me back $20 (1-1/2"). She uses her provided hide but kicked all the substrate out of it. She also spent the first couple nights bulldozing substrate to suite her preferences. I think she is my favorite because out of all of my T's, she has the most personality. I still can't believe she'll be 6" in less than a year. This species grows very fast. Reaches a 10" legspan. Good luck.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

This species is a bit skittish but not really mean (although I guess it depends on the individual spider.) I wouldn't say they're a "not for beginners" species, they're just not pet rocks like a lot of other beginner species and they have a voracious appetite. If I'm not mistaken, B. smithi can be rather skittish too, so they can be compared. I say get the L. parahybana! :D

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are definitely skittish. If my LP is out, I don't open the lid (the lid POPS open - Gladware container) because it disturbs her and she runs around the enclosure. But if she's in the hide, she feels safe and secure and doesn't move if I pop the lid open. Just be careful, as you are with all wild animals. The LP has an impressive arsenal of urticating hairs.

Scorpionqueen20

Arachnopeon
I totally agree! As long as you have done your studies and are well prepared and informed, you should be able to get any one you want and have little problems. Above all, no matter how long you have had T's or how much you know, the number one thing is respect. You have to have respect and realize they are instinctual. They will be T's from the day you get them until the day they die, not little kittens you can pet. So always be cautious and again - Have respect.

jcrow209

Arachnopeon
If temp/humidity are a concern I wouldn't suggest any Avic sling.If getting bitten was a concern, I wouldn't suggest any Poecilotheria species. Any T could potentially bite you, but pokies are quick and there bite is nasty.That being said, I own 4 P. regalis and an A. avicularia, too!{D

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I totally agree! As long as you have done your studies and are well prepared and informed, you should be able to get any one you want and have little problems. Above all, no matter how long you have had T's or how much you know, the number one thing is respect. You have to have respect and realize they are instinctual. They will be T's from the day you get them until the day they die, not little kittens you can pet. So always be cautious and again - Have respect.
There are always exceptions:
Stromatopelma calceatum

This particular sp. is more like a monster on eight legs, rather than a tarantula. The S. cal is an uber-fast arboreal with a demonic temper, and their bite is definitely hospital-worthy. Though a beautiful and hardy captive, the S. cal is in a league of it's own on the defensive scale. Not recommended for the absolute beginner!!!!

On the other hand......when you're ready, there's no real reason not to have one!!! :D

I kind of miss having this one around........

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just remember your T has not been reading the same books and threads you have so it may not know it is suposed to be docile!

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just remember your T has not been reading the same books and threads you have so it may not know it is suposed to be docile!
Good point. I'll be sure to put TKG and various AB thread on their summer reading lists.{D

jb62

Arachnosquire
Old world T's for sure, as they are quite volatile. Some of the New world T's such as T. Blondi, T. Apophysis, Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus wouldn't be the greatest idea either.
Ultimately, it is up to the individual what they may choose but when I have a potential buyer and they inquire about this very subject I tell them to stick with the following:
1) Grammastola
2) Avicularia's
3) Brachypelma albopilosum
4) PZB
5) Chromatopelma (GBB)
The novice can always get comfortable with these and then progress to the other more aggressive species. Work your way up to OBT's and the infamous T. Apophysis.
I also inform them that any T can bite if it feels threatened enough but the the more docile species are best to start out with.
Why is this number 3 ? Brachypelma albopilosum

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just my 2 cents.....

There is no hard and fast rule when someone stops being a beginner and previous experience with other exotics certainly eases up on an individuals learning curve. A responsible individual will make rational assessements of what they have learned and experienced and decide for themselves if they are ready to attempt a more defensive species or even if the attempt is compatible with their home situation. If we are talking about a child or adolescent then they should be under the supervision of an adult who monitors their progress and decides if they are ready for the responsiblity and challenge of dealing with a defensive species. Long term care and management of mutliple specimens goes a long way to taking someone farther up the ladder because a keeper then experiences first hand the big and small issues that pop up and how to deal with them.

Now your scenerio of jumping from a G. rosea to an H. lividium is a drastic jump. In my previous post I was saying that there are intermediate species that better prepare someone for moving up to old world species. Some people do fine learning thorough trial by fire but its not a path I'm going feel comfortable recommending to someone who is asking for opinions on a public forum.

If you are concerned about what others think about your experience level you'll see that most people are quick to soften up and respect you if you demonstrate some level of knowledge and responsiblitly. It becomes obvious quickly when someone is moving too fast but thats also something they can do if they want but it doesn't mean anyone else has to encourage or help them if they are being irresponsible and pose a risk to themselves or others.
I have to agree with this post and what I have found out over the past year or so is this....don't mess with them! I mean,enjoy them,watch them,feed them but don't mess with them! I have 13 T's some kicked hair alot and some are skittish and I just didn't mess with them and after awhile they calmed down. It’s all about boundaries! Well, that's my 2 cents.