Not enough vent holes?

Phases

Arachnoknight
So, after setting up my Aphonopelma seemanni's tank, and giving a corner of substrate a soaking, he continually filled and or knocked over and or buried his water dish. I've given up on filling it, because by now that whole half, or more, is damp. He seems now to be hanging out more over the dry part, and seems to have abandoned his burrow (if you can tell, it's on the right of the water dish going down the substrate to the bottom, in the corner). He used to spend most his time in there, now most is over the dry part.

Do I need to drill more holes for better ventilation?

20170710_180205.jpg 20170710_180212.jpg

Last edited:

Phases

Arachnoknight
So nearly double.. do I need to worry about drying out or changing the substrate? or let it do its thing? Been a few days now. This species likes it on the humid side a bit so...

... the tank to the right has the same holes, but he doesn't flip his water. Brachypelma albopilosum. (curley hair). They like a little dryer. Add there too ?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So nearly double.. do I need to worry about drying out or changing the substrate? or let it do its thing? Been a few days now. This species likes it on the humid side a bit so...
I wouldn't change the substrate if the tarantula is looking healthy and comfortable.

I tend to err on the side of adding more ventilation. For species that like it moist, it doesn't really matter if the surface of the substrate dries out as long as it remains slightly damp below. But if it does dry out too quickly, you can always moisten it again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, after setting up my Aphonopelma seemanni's tank, and giving a corner of substrate a soaking, he continually filled and or knocked over and or buried his water dish. I've given up on filling it, because by now that whole half, or more, is damp. He seems now to be hanging out more over the dry part, and seems to have abandoned his burrow (if you can tell, it's on the right of the water dish going down the substrate to the bottom, in the corner). He used to spend most his time in there, now most is over the dry part.

Do I need to drill more holes for better ventilation?

View attachment 245564 View attachment 245565
There's no science to how many vent holes a T should have. I wouldn't drill anymore myself, unless your sub is going be moist regularly ;)

I've had Ts with smaller and fewer vent holes mature to adulthood.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Should a corner be moist regularly? from spilled water fills, spilling by the T, and regular overflowing here and there - a little? Or do it every so often and let dry out.

My prob is between the filling and the spilling most seem like they might not heh.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Should a corner be moist regularly? from spilled water fills, spilling by the T, and regular overflowing here and there - a little? Or do it every so often and let dry out.

My prob is between the filling and the spilling most seem like they might not heh.
I never overfill. I give them a bowl, that's it. Overfilling attracts mites IME.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I try not to let the same spot stay constantly damp. I let it dry out between (or alternate areas that get a bit of extra moisture).

Depending on your ambient humidity (humid versus dry climate), the time of year (how much heat or AC is running), the species in question, and the size of the specimen, you may be able to get away with not adding any extra moisture to the substrate so long as you provide a water dish. I live in a humid climate, so most of my enclosures have dry substrate. Every tarantula seems to be doing fine that way.

Sometimes your tarantula will tell you what it likes. If it's constantly hovering over the water dish, it may be too dry. If it's trying to avoid the substrate, it may be too wet. (My tarantulas don't seem to like to sit on damp substrate, so I make sure there is always at least some dry ground, even for my slings.)

Last edited:

Phases

Arachnoknight
OK so I guess I will just give these time to dry out. The ones the most moist are ones who "need higher humidity" anyway. Might take a while. But, for my new arrival coming today, Arizona Blonde, I will double up the holes, and barely overfill.