1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Not another) Enclosure size question.!

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by damhan, Jun 13, 2019.

1. damhan

damhan Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    IMG_20190613_115642.jpg IMG_20190613_115541.jpg
    Hi all

After months of prevarication I finally ordered my first T, a one inch B. Smithi, due to be delivered towards the end of the month.
    I have read the various care posts (thanks to everyone who took time to contribute to them) .and i am now trying to ensure the enclosure is correct. I have read a few threads here recently about big enclosures, but my worry is that mine may be too small.... Pictured below, it is 7 inches by 4 inches. Substrate is coco fibre. I do have a bigger box, 10 inches by 7, if that would be more appropriate. I would prefer not to have to move enclosures within the first few months, if it can be avoided....
    (Constructive) criticism welcome.

2. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    Your one inch B smithi could more than likely escape out of those ventilation holes.

Easy fix is to sellotape the inside (sticky side facing plastic), then use a needle to prick small holes in the gaps, until the tarantula is bigger.

Other than that, the enclosure is fine.

3. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnoangel Active Member

Norway
    It is certainly not too small and 10 x 7 inches would be way too big for a tarantula with a legspan of around one inch.

4. sourpatchkid

sourpatchkid Arachnopeon Active Member

Where did you buy that storage bin with a lid designed like that?? I’ve been searching all over for ones just like it.

5. damhan

damhan Arachnopeon

Thank you both for the quick replies....the vent holes are only about 3mm....., But easily changed.

I'm thinking of damp substrate, with a wet patch around the water dish....or should the whole enclosure be wet.?

The enclosure came from here:

https://www.thespidershop.co.uk/braplast-p-760.html#.XQI40BHTU1I

They do sell in bulk, but I'm not sure if they post to the States, or if it would be financially viable for you...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TownesVanZandt

Norway
    The substrate shouldn´t be soaking wet, but slightly moist. When it dries up you can add some more water to it.

7. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Remember they live in an arid environment.

8. damhan

damhan Arachnopeon

Advice here on slings would seem to suggest damp to wet substrate whatever the T type, and slowly changing that to dry (for B Smithi) as they change to juveniles.....have I got that right..?

9. TownesVanZandt

Norway
    Slings in general should be kept on moist substrate, but only a few species should be kept on what I would characterise as wet substrate. You shouldn´t be able to squeeze water out of it like you could do with the soil in Northern Ireland after a week of heavy rain.

10. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Your enclosure is WAAAAAY too big. You want something the size of a 16oz deli cup at most.

Nope, no tarantula should EVER be kept on wet anything....they arent salamanders.

Slings should always either be kept on slightly damp, or partially damp sub.

For species like yours, partially damp is the way to go. Keeping an area damp and an area dry will help prevent over watering of the sub....too wet is more detrimental than too dry.

Dampen half the sub, when it dries, re dampen, its that simple....it can dry out for a day or two without issue, in fact occassional drying will be helpful as it will make the enclosure less hospitable to molds and pests.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. damhan

damhan Arachnopeon

We call 'only' a week of heavy rain '' summer.!' Seriously, your helpful advice is noted.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice...it is very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Not sure why arid species would be kept that way.

I’ve never done it, no deaths not doing that. Water bowl and healthy feeding is enough.

13. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

They're Braplast boxes and are only really available in Europe.

We have the same issue with AMAC boxes, can't get them in Europe without either paying through the nose for them or getting them shipped over from the states.

• Informative Informative x 1