Northern Water snake Feeding alternitives

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Everyone,

Recently I have acquired a rescue neonate Northern water snake; It has taken to its enclosure without any issue, is a feisty little scamper noodle and rather enjoyable to observe. the issue I am having is turning it to a more attractive food source.

currently it accepts a diet of live feeder minnows/rosy reds from pet stores (ick) I am aware that they have issues creating a Vitamin B1 deficiency in animals and can lead to neurological items. They issue I have had is thus far alternatives (frozen thawed pinkies, slices of market fresh fish etc) have been rejected

Anyone have suggestions for other easily obtainable food that will be more appropriate?

cold blood

Staff member
tried earthworms?

ive had them eat frogs and smaller snakes when i was a kid and didnt understand they couldnt co habitate....think i lost a few salamanders, too....of course none of these would be good, easily attained feeders....but worms should be easy.

I love northern water snakes, bigger, fast and super fiesty.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have not! I shall go acquire some, as it is so young I am hesitant to try and switch it over via starvation/force feeding though will eventually be doing so as F/t is preferred.

I also came across a couple sources that recommend guppies and platies for a more long term solution of safe live fish.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you can also try frozen silversides,and they have vitaman riched ones aswell,and some are small enough to eat whole,thats what i used to feed my waters/garters w/no problems at all,the smell of the silversides should get it going.good luck.

cold blood

Staff member
I also came across a couple sources that recommend guppies and platies for a more long term solution of safe live fish.
Yes, and guppies are exceptionally easy to cultivate. They eat like pigs and every time I kept them there were births regularly, year around without anything done to encourage breeding. They also can survive tough conditions...which makes them easy to keep. I had a group in with my snapper when he was a little one, until after a few years he got the hang of nabbing them.