1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal time in between millipede molts?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Beetle9larva, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Beetle9larva

Beetle9larva Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    What is the normal time millipedes take in between molting? I have a African Giant who is pretty young (5 inch) and he hasn’t molted in about a year :( Can you stunt a millipede’s growth? If moved into a better inviorment will he grow normally again? Any information helps a lot!!

2. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    It can take quite a while, longer if they're being kept too cold. I haven't kept AGBs, but that doesn't sound like too strange of a proposition, especially if it's at a less than ideal temperature. If you want it to grow faster, up the temperature and amount of available food.

3. Beetle9larva

Beetle9larva Arachnopeon

Thank you so much! I’m getting him some new substrate and a deeper holding area but adding more food and heat would probably be a good idea :)

4. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnodemon Active Member

Larger millipedes generally take much longer to mature. Sounds like he’s fine, and he should maube molt within the next few months-year. Also, where did you manage to find an AGB for sale in the US?

5. Beetle9larva

Beetle9larva Arachnopeon

I actually ordered him from a user on here! mickiem is the username of you want to check them out :)

6. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    What's the temperature at right now?

7. Beetle9larva

Beetle9larva Arachnopeon

Around at room temperature, I live in south Texas so its usually pretty warm but I don’t have any sort of specific heating for his enclosure.

8. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    You could increase it to 27-30 °C (80-86 °F), but just be careful not to put a heat mat on the bottom of its container.

9. Beetle9larva

Beetle9larva Arachnopeon

I’ll try that :)