Normal Premolting?

Trell

Arachnopeon
I have a B. boehmei 1.5" and when I first got it the abdomen was bald and peach in color. Since April 25th I noticed the abdomen is very dark. This is what I have read as normal for a tarantula getting ready to molt. But one thing I didn't know was that the tips of its legs were black and the black has been steadily getting longer passed the tip underneath the skin it looks like and it still hasn't molted yet. It sealed itself up in a cave it made but it did that before it turned dark so it's not that it didn't want to eat it's that it had no way to get food. The cave is a mini half log on its side so I can see it clearly inside.

Most of this sounds normal for molting but I don't know if it's going to be okay molting when it's in a cramped area. And are the legs what's considered "dull coloring" for premolt? This will be the first molt I've had with a tarantula so I don't know all the details of what normal.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sure it'll be fine. If the space is too cramped, the spider won't molt there. Trust in the spider; it knows what it's doing.

I bet it'll molt within the next week.

--Joe

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From what I've read your scenario sounds pretty much like a pre-moult.

As far as moulting in the burrow goes I believe many species do this and then will often drag the exuvium out to clear out their burrow when done.

The black on the legs I'm not 100% sure of so I'd have to take advice from someone who's potentially seen this phenomenon before.

[edit] Beaten to the punch by Joe... Darn

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm pretty sure its premolt. the coloring on the leg might just be dull coloring, which with insufficient lighting might be misintepreted as turning black.

give it a week or so, you'd definitely see a brand new bigger boehmei!

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like pre-molt conditions to me. Like the above posters stated, just give it some time, it'll molt when its ready. And if its hide-away is cramped for space, like Joe said, it won't molt there, or if there's enough substrate to allow, it'll dig itself enough space to suit its needs. Pre-molt can take any amount of time, and its definitely trying on one's patience...but its all worth it in the end! ;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As far as moulting in the burrow goes I believe many species do this and then will often drag the exuvium out to clear out their burrow when done.
Depending on species, they won't bring the molt out of the burrow; they will instead incorporate it into the walls of their burrow.

I just dug up a MM H. incei who had a wonderful burrow system going until I disturbed him. I found 3 molts in there, ranging from 1.5" to 3".

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a bald spot isnt always good. my t had a bald spot (from kicking hairs) and it stayed there for a long time. then the abdomen turned really really dark (darker then the other area) and a couple weeks later i wake up to find her on her back (didnt start molting molting yet)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
a bald spot isnt always good. my t had a bald spot (from kicking hairs) and it stayed there for a long time. then the abdomen turned really really dark (darker then the other area) and a couple weeks later i wake up to find her on her back (didnt start molting molting yet)
Nowhere in your post do you explain why a bald spot 'isn't always good'.

Instead, you described premolt perfectly.

Trell

Arachnopeon
Thanks to those who have responded. Another question I had with molting: how much will they grow each molt and if mine is 1.5" how old is it now?

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Having a bald spot, to my knowledge, is completely normal. Like you state, its from kicking hairs. It may not be aesthetically pleasing, but other than that there is nothing bad about it. Plus it helps keepers know when a molt is approaching. :D

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks to those who have responded. Another question I had with molting: how much will they grow each molt and if mine is 1.5" how old is it now?
Spiders are all different, but I'd expect it to be at least 2" after the molt.

Trell

Arachnopeon
Update on this its on its back right now {D

I hope everything turns out okay.

Trell

Arachnopeon
It's been out of the old shell a couple hours now. It did stay in the burrow the whole time and still in there. The legs look twice as long from what I can compare they are long and folded like a daddy long legs's. I wish it wasn't eating the exuvium right now so I could save it but oh well.

I just hope it stops acting like a hibernating bear now after all this and unseals itself and actually walks around outside the burrow.