Noob questions about ideal enclosures?

LunarBeats

Arachnopeon
I have some experience with tarantulas, and have been considering getting a scorpion, most likely one of the Heterometrus. My biggest concern is about enclosure size. I am not able to support a tank larger than a five gallon, and thats really pushing it. I'd prefer an enclosure like the size of a 2.5 gallon, a large critter keeper, or a (14 qt?) Plastic Sweater box like I keep my tarantulas. Would such containers be adequate for a single scorpion from the genus I mentioned? I'd still provide adequate substrate, one side of the enclosure heated, etc.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Lunar, clear plastic storage containers work good. A heat pad "might" be too hot for the plastic. You may have to suspend the container with rubber feet or use a low wattage heater (like a 5 watt, but that isn't going to heat anything anyway). Are all of the tarantulas taking up your real estate?

LunarBeats

Arachnopeon
Do you mean keep the enclosure elevated somehow and then slide a heat pad under so its not touching it? Also, my reasons for having to go super conservative on my enclosures is kind of a long story, but Im basically only allowed to keep pets if I can keep them as inconspicuous as possible.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, so if you decided to use a heat pad, put rubber feet on the bottom of the tank so it's raised up, then stick the heat pad under the tank so the bottom of the heat pad has air circulation. The top of the heater (the side that's touching the tank) is heating the substrate, and the bottom of the heat pad (the side that isn't touching anything, closest to the table top) is exposed to the air so it doesn't overheat. Then again, you might not have to do this.

Mila

Arachnoknight
Heterometrus are generally quite large scorpions that require quite a lot of substrate as they love burrowing. If you can squeeze a 5 gallon in then you can have basically any of the H. Family.You should also never put a heat pad on the bottom as they burrow and risk over heating or being burned. You should instead heat them from one side and that allows them to position their burrow in the optimum position.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Consider a smaller room temperature scorpion like Paravaejovis spinigerus.

LunarBeats

Arachnopeon
Consider a smaller room temperature scorpion like Paravaejovis spinigerus.
I looked into that scorpion you mentioned and ill admit it suits me much better, especially if they are fine at room temperature. Question though, can a substrate of pure coco fiber, vermiculite, etc. Be fine, or should I mix a bit of sand in?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
They are a desert species so use sand and keep it dry. They like to burrow but very active at night. Add some clay to the sand and put in a flat thin stone or flat piece of bark to promote something to burrow under.

Mila

Arachnoknight
The absolute best way to do a desert species enclosure is to totally get rid of sand and use excavator clay instead. Sand is an absolute nightmare to keep at the right moisture level to actually make sure it doesn't crumble. With excavator clay you can make your entire setup with as many burrows as You want and then you wait for it to dry and it's like concrete. You never have to moisten it again it'll stay absolutely solid without maintanence. For added aesthetics you can pour a thin layer of sand on top and lightly press it in and then shake the excess off and it'll give it the look of a rocky desert

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do not put a heating pad underneath a scorpion enclosure. Scorpions burrow to get away from the heat.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
If space is truly a concern. Look for a smaller species like @RTTB suggested. Heterometrus are large, across the genus, and need deep substrate to burrow.
L. australasiae are basically a very small species, max size about 1", can be kept in a 2"X2"X4" enclosure their entire life.
Pic of one of mine below.
L a enclosure.jpg
Although offering appropriate sized prey can be difficult. I use S. lateralis nymphs from my colony and ocassionally pinhead crickets when available.