Noob question ! Very skiddish Aphonopelma chalcodes

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Oh yes first pictures is when I first got done setting the enclosure up and just put in the sub and it was I yellow lighting last picture she’s in the dark and I used flash. But okay nice tip ! Hopefully when the time comes when I need to “cup” her she won’t run away lol . Thank you for your advice !
Thats what this little comunity is here for. ;)

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
How lo g have you had her?

My guess is that she will probably settle down quite a bit once she settles in. Got any pics of the spider and setup we could see to check for other reasons?
I’ve had her about a year

cold blood

Staff member
I just got her 3 days ago ! From net.bug. She has already eaten 3 large crickets for me
Ok, this s a slow growing species, which means long molt cycles, even for smaller ones. Basically you fed a months worth of food in 3 days. Now this isn't going to hurt anything, but the faster you fatten it, the longer it will become inactive and fast...so if it plumps and refuses food, don't worry, even if it fasts for close to a year...adults can go over a year.
When I got her her abdomen looked a little grape shaped to me and i read that’s not how it’s suppose to be
There is no, "supposed to be", when it comes to abdomen size. The natural progression is for the t (any t) to molt, at which point it will (should) be thin (at its thinnest). From there it gradually plumps, when it has its fill, it will molt and the whole cycle starts over.

So abdomen size is relative to where it is in the molt cycle.

Mature males are the exception, they will have small abdomens and will not plump like a female or an immature male will.

I assume it s a sexed female?

first pictures is when I first got done setting the enclosure up
The set up looks fine, with one exception. The wood needs to be laid down...a hide should be a tight place that the t should fit into tightly....if its too open like that, it won't even be seen as or likely used as a hide. Having a good hide where it feels safe, really can help with skittishness as it gives the t a place to bolt to when spooked.

Welcome to the boards, good to see more Wisconsonites here, our numbers on these boards are slowly growing. :cigar:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’ve had her about a year
I had a anax for 13 years before it’s bad molt , it always sat out in open rarely burrowed after adult. Could e part of why had molt issue. Was very depressed afterwards, would like another someday. Never kicks hairs just shows fangs haha .

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
I had a anax for 13 years before it’s bad molt , it always sat out in open rarely burrowed after adult. Could e part of why had molt issue. Was very depressed afterwards, would like another someday. Never kicks hairs just shows fangs haha .
Wow ironic mine literally just molted 2 days ago. Wasn’t bad either. Sorry for your loss dude. I hear there pretty cool. Thinking about picking one up later.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Congratulations on your first tarantula! I was wondering if anyone was going to mention about that hide being raised against the side of the enclosure and sure enough it has been addressed :) Other than that, the enclosure looks quite nice and you seem to have a 'normal' A. chalcodes lol Since this is your first, don't be surprised if she goes months to a year without eating...my MF was NOTORIOUS for being the absolute worst eater I ever had in my collection. She'd eat 2 roaches and then go 6 months + before showing any interest, eat once more then be done until she basically looked like death warmed over.....then she'd molt and maybe eat once then be done until she molted again. Mine would stay hidden once in awhile she would come out but as soon as the lid was removed, she would raise her butt high in the air, kick hairs, and then flee back to her hide. Every tarantula has its own temperament which makes it fun because you may get that little psycho tarantula that is known to be the most docile out of them all lol. As long as you keep the water dish full and don't notice any shriveling of the abdomen, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.