Noob *facepalm *

P4RK

Arachnopeon
Ok , so I’ve had my first T for 3 weeks now , 2 of which she has been completely burrowed away with no signs of disturbance or night time movements . I’m starting to get abit twitchy and nervous that it’s ok .

If you saw my other thread “T bug bitten hard...so has the wife” you’ll know I’m not allowed more spiders , so this little one means a lot to me .

She’s (??) a b.hamorii , maybe about two inches or so . She did eat the one hopper after a few days of having her .

This has been my view now . She’s not in the coconut hide at all so , presumably under the wood . Would it be too much of a risk to lift the wood slightly so I can put my mind at rest ??

Attachments

Luke Alexander

Arachnopeon
What would you need to move the log for? Just to see it?

I would say that’s about 4”-5”

cold blood

Staff member
Ahh, looks way bigger than 2".
You are just getting a tarantula lesson in patience...you can explain that these extended periods of inactivity are precisely why most people have several...or a room full of ts:)

P4RK

Arachnopeon
What would you need to move the log for? Just to see it?

I would say that’s about 4”-5”
From looking at vids of bigger T’s that claim to be 4-5 inch , it def seems smaller than that , my other half does have small girly hands .

Not to see it , to make sure it’s ok

P4RK

Arachnopeon
Ahh, looks way bigger than 2".
You are just getting a tarantula lesson in patience...you can explain that these extended periods of inactivity are precisely why most people have several...or a room full of ts:)
Ah I’m not allowed more T’s if you have a look at my other thread . Wife is terrified of them

Luke Alexander

Arachnopeon
Personally I would leave it be, I’m sure your T is fine. Just keep up with food and water, and if you notice the food is gone then you know your T is fine.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
She wants to be left alone and I tend to give them that luxury. Can't you see inside if you shine a flashlight in there?

cold blood

Staff member
Ah I’m not allowed more T’s if you have a look at my other thread . Wife is terrified of them
Which is precisely why I offered the info I did.

It wasn't a "go get more", rather, a piece of genuinely useable info for those conversations you are having.

P4RK

Arachnopeon
Which is precisely why I offered the info I did.

It wasn't a "go get more", rather, a piece of genuinely useable info for those conversations you are having.

Sorry I had miss read , yeah i did try that tactic but to no avail with her .

P4RK

Arachnopeon
She wants to be left alone and I tend to give them that luxury. Can't you see inside if you shine a flashlight in there?
She’s not in the coconut , I think somewhere under the wood . And you can’t see at the back behind the tank . I will just wait to out then ,
Sorry for sounding like such a noob . It’s worrying when it’s your first .

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry I had miss read , yeah i did try that tactic but to no avail with her .
Just like the t, you just need patience with the SO....it may take years, but the less you press the issue and just be informative and the more "used to" this one she becomes, the better your chances are of her mind being eased....The harder you push, the harder she will push back...its just human nature.

P4RK

Arachnopeon
Just like the t, you just need patience with the SO....it may take years, but the less you press the issue and just be informative and the more "used to" this one she becomes, the better your chances are of her mind being eased....The harder you push, the harder she will push back...its just human nature.

I completely agree , and things have settled down now . I’m just treating it like I’m not getting another , and giving myself false hope , she still likes to see the videos and facts I show her , so I will be happy with that .

So I’m guessing patience now and leave the t alone to come out or be seen as it chooses ?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Sorry for sounding like such a noob . It’s worrying when it’s your first .
There is no need to apologize. Tarantulas, by nature, are reclusive, sedentary, private little creatures who really don't like being out in the open all the time - exposing them to all sorts of danger. And, while many NW terrestrial species do become 'bolder' with size, as they have less predators the larger they become, they are still very reclusive and can burrow and hide for extended periods.
I am sure that, as your girl gets more comfortable in her new home, you will see her more frequently. Until she comes out, I would leave her alone to adjust to her new surroundings on her own terms.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
I’ve had my first T for 3 weeks now , 2 of which she has been completely burrowed away with no signs of disturbance or night time movements . . . She’s not in the coconut hide at all so , presumably under the wood . Would it be too much of a risk to lift the wood slightly so I can put my mind at rest ??
I wouldn't touch it. Two weeks is nothing. Pull up a chair, you might be in for a wait. Keep the water dish full, take a deep breath, and chill.

I am sure that, as your girl gets more comfortable in her new home, you will see her more frequently. Until she comes out, I would leave her alone to adjust to her new surroundings on her own terms.
+1 agree!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
If you can manage to not look, I would not look. Straight up? I, personally, would totally have to take a quick peek as gently as I could under low-light settings. Then again, I have ADHD off the charts, and my brain would not leave me alone until I resolved the issue. I would bet you a month's salary, though, that she is just fine. And what a cutie you have there!

Re: eventual additional spiders, you might leave a picture or two of a really beautiful GBB in a really beautiful habitat lying around there. Just planting the seeds...no pressure on anyone.... ;) It's been my experience that a lot of people who have problems with spiders have far fewer problems with brightly colored, photogenic spiders. Weird thing, but there you are.

And when I just can't stand not having more spiders than I have room or money for, I just go on huge YouTube video binges. It's like listening to the blues when your heart is broken....You just feel better.