Noob Emperor Scorpion inquiry

MiaPow

Arachnosquire
I never owned a scorpion before but I’m very interested in emperor scorpions. I acquired a 75 gal tank a long time ago but never did anything with it. I know that it’s recommended they live in a 5-10 gal but I was looking to get more then one but will there be any adverse affects with a large tank, if not when the scorpion becomes an adult how many could be housed in the tank with out them cannibalizing each other?

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Honestly, with a tank that large you could fit as many as you’d like. but i’d say maybe 7-10 at most just to minimize the chances of any problems. you could even go by 1-2 scorpions per 10 gallons too, that would be a pretty good rule of thumb. If they’re true emperors they should be pretty communal so there shouldn’t be a problem at all. just give them enough hiding spaces, relatively deep substrate for burrowing, and be sure to feed them a lot. You should be completely fine if you do all these correctly.

Last edited:

MiaPow

Arachnosquire
What’s a good burrowing substrate to use ? I wanted to use live plants but with the scorpions living conditions what’s some ideal plants? I’d probably just plant them in pots and submerge the pot under the substrate for easier tank cleaning later.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
What’s a good burrowing substrate to use ? I wanted to use live plants but with the scorpions living conditions what’s some ideal plants? I’d probably just plant them in pots and submerge the pot under the substrate for easier tank cleaning later.
i’ve found that moist eco earth actually holds burrows very well. but you can always mix different types of substrates too. can’t think of which ones off the top of my head since i’ve always used straight eco earth. as for the plants, anything that thrives in tropical climates will be perfect, i’d recommend doing some research to find out the best plants.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow! That’s going to be an awesome enclosure!!! Post up pics when you set it up!

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Tbh, I wouldn't use live plants, bcs plastic plants are cheaper and easier to take care of. Plus, If you're going to take care of live plants you'll have to have a lot of UB to keep em alive and scorpions don't like the light. Eco earth blocks are good.