No sperm web?

Jterry

Arachnosquire
Hey guys--

I bought a MM A. pulcherrimaklaasi from another AB user a few weeks ago. Since he arrived, he has spent the majority of his time running around and looking for a way to get out (expectedly-- he's ready to mate!). I've been power-feeding my female for a few weeks now and she's ready to pair. However, the male hasn't made a sperm web. I know that he made a web at his previous residence, but he hasn't made one in my care. Should I go ahead and pair them or should I wait for him to make a new sperm web? If I need to wait, is there anything I can do to hurry him along?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your advice!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want him to make one when he's with you I would suggest you take some of the female's web and put it into his enclosure. I would say he sounds ready to me, but most males usually eat their sperm web. I worry about fresh males being loaded or not too. If their not loaded and they mate and the female eats him it's a waste. Especially since most species mature males are hard to acquire.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
Yeah this was my concern as well. I can't be 100% sure that he's loaded and I don't want to risk pairing them unless I'm sure. He's definitely ready to go, just need him to make a web. I'll take your advice and put some of her web in his tank :) Thanks for the advice!!

Edit: if he's eating his sperm web, how do I know that he's even made one? This is the first time I've held onto a MM so I don't know their behavior very well

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always catch my male's making sperm web and sometimes there are remains of the webbing. How long has he been mature? Mature males usually make sperm web from two-five weeks after their mature molt.

What I've noticed when my males mature they take a week or two to harden depending on species, then they eat like pigs and make sperm web. You can make male's produce sperm web sooner though with shark tanking, putting both the male's and female's enclosure next to each other or put some of her web like I said before. The males just need to smell the pheromones of the female help the male make sperm web sooner rather than later!!!

Last edited:

Jterry

Arachnosquire
He's been mature for several weeks now, I can't remember the exact date and I'm at work so I can't check, but between 2 and 5 weeks for sure. He's probably making and eating them!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Indeed! I wish you luck on your first breeding attempt and would love to see some pics!

Last edited:

Jterry

Arachnosquire
Thank you! I plan on having another local hobbyist come over to help out so I may have him snap a few pictures. If I'm able to get any decent ones I'll make sure to post them! Thanks again, you've been incredibly helpful!