Nikon D40: your thoughts....

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My dad just bought one and we are taking it to Peru and I was wondering whether it will take good photos relatively easily. Tell me what you think about this camera.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
its a great camera.i recently got the d40X and i love it.if you want ill post some pics ive taking with it

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have one, I really enjoy taking pics with it...but...I find it a bit restrictive for some of the more advanced photo techniques I want to explore. The kit lens is also a bit iffy, but certainly works for taking snapshots. Those are my only quips with the camera/lens. :)

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Rydog, I don't have the D40, but you might be able to find some more reviews on photographyboard.net :)

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The camera is good enough that your issue will be the photographer, not the camera. Most important thing is to learn HOW to use it. SLR's are not point and shoots (though they CAN act like one, it's called the AUTO function... but that's kind of a waste of an SLR) and require the time investment of learning how to use it. Also an SLR requires one to learn how to post-process, which takes no small investment of time either....

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The camera is good enough that your issue will be the photographer, not the camera. Most important thing is to learn HOW to use it. SLR's are not point and shoots (though they CAN act like one, it's called the AUTO function... but that's kind of a waste of an SLR) and require the time investment of learning how to use it. Also an SLR requires one to learn how to post-process, which takes no small investment of time either....
Very well said.

The d40 is a great camera to learn on. You can still lean on some auto functions from time to time, but it has simple to learn and use manual functions that will help you with the basics. It's light weight which most people see as a plus. And if you are into macro photography lock in a 60mm macro and you are good to go! If you are just looking to get better results and learn a few things but not get into pro level prices this is the camera for you. I learned on the D80 myself, and have played with the D40 and D40x as well. They all perform very well. And for the money you would spend on the D40 you get lots of bang for your buck. Just be patient when you get it. You will have to learn some things to get the max potential out of it.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a D80 and I'll agree with what Arlius says, even though most times I find myself being lazy and using the Auto function. :8o

However I have the 18-135mm kit lens and it broke, all on its very own. I found through online research that this is a common problem and I feel lucky mine lasted over a year, most that broke did so within a few weeks of purchase.

Although I never filled out the Extended Service Coverage card and sent it in within 10 days of purchase. So when it says the lens has a 5-year warranty, its half-right, its 1-year guaranteed and 4-additional IF you send in the card. So if you get the D40 and it has that same lens, learn from my mistake, send in the warranty card ASAP.

The representative I talked to wouldn't say one way or another, but he recommended I send it in anyway. I'm hoping they honor the principle that a $1300 camera shouldn't break within a year and fix it on their dime, otherwise it'll be a $300 replacement lens for me. That's the reason I ultimately went with Nikon, their sterling reputation of quality. Or so I thought. :evil:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's the reason I ultimately went with Nikon, their sterling reputation of quality. Or so I thought.
Well at least you admit some of that was your fault. They laid out the rules to be covered and you did not follow along.
But regardless it does suck that the lens broke like that. From my experience you should invest in lenses. I have some of the best lenses Nikon makes and they have not failed me yet. Oh and I filled out my card. :) Always research before you buy as well. Some online sites are great for word of mouth problems that are being had with a certain product.

MAC warranties are also really good. They are basically extended warranties that are worth the extra money. I suggest at the very least you get one for the body.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And if you are into macro photography lock in a 60mm macro and you are good to go!
Macro...60mm lens...PSH!

I use my 60mm macro as my everyday lens and for macro shots. Bit of a dual purpose I guess, works a whole lot better than the kit lens the D40 comes with.

It even works great with a nice 2x teleconverter. Clear and essentially haze free this far.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And why exactly do you use your macro as a walk around lens? I'd be curious to see what your macro shots looked like. I myself don't use the 60mm macro. I have the 105 VR macro. I use ether my 18-200 or my 50mm as my walk around lens it depends on what type of shoot I am going for.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,

thanks for all the replies, I will take all the advice I can get. We also ordered the VR lens and a telephoto one. I am relatively bad with cameras and I have always wanted to learn how to take the great photos I see a lot of on AB. @syndicate: I would love to see some photos you took with the D40. Thanks again

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And why exactly do you use your macro as a walk around lens? I'd be curious to see what your macro shots looked like. I myself don't use the 60mm macro. I have the 105 VR macro. I use ether my 18-200 or my 50mm as my walk around lens it depends on what type of shoot I am going for.
Sorry, I was out of town and AB was down...

Anyways, the 60mm makes an excellent multi use lens and does in fact go all the way to 1:1. One of the main issues with that is lighting, the minimum distance is only ~1.25" from the subject and that is where you get 1:1 magnification. Thus, I find it more suited to being a multi use lens than a dedicated macro.

As for my macro photos, most everything from this page on was taken with the 60mm, some of my newer ones are with a 150mm sigma macro or the 60mm with a 2x teleconverter to add distance between the subject and the lens. The last few pages are not taken with the lens/camera but everything back to about page 50 was probably taken with the lens on a D40. A few of the gems from the first 10 pages are: 1 2 3 4 5 6

All the above inverts are < 1" except the Homalonychus which is just a bit over an inch.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
dpreview.com
If your thinking of a new camera
T

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was thinking of buying a D40, but I have read it doesn't take all of the Nikon lens, and so you're more limited to buying the lens which do fit it. Is this correct? I have some AF lens which I've heard I could use without any worries if I bought the D80 instead.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinking of buying a D40, but I have read it doesn't take all of the Nikon lens, and so you're more limited to buying the lens which do fit it. Is this correct? I have some AF lens which I've heard I could use without any worries if I bought the D80 instead.
I am fairly sure that it will take any Nikon AF mount lenses with no issues. For the lenses lacking the '-S' notation you will not be able to auto focus but that is not really a major issue(I personally think manual focus is far superior as well as faster).

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So on a scale of 1-10 what would you rate this camera overall? Thanks again

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The standard D40, with the kit lens(18-55mm) not included, I would rate at a 7 on a scale of 10. With the lens it drops to a 6. I *really* dont like the kit lens as it does not maintain focus and has a nice bit of wobble.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm on a scale of one to ten huh.......... I'd give it a 6. Solid six though.