Nicotine on glass - How to clean this?

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
Hey there
Recently I bought an old Exo Terra-Terrarium off someone I found in one of these craigslist-like apps.
It´s nice and big (45x45x60 aka 18x18x24 inch) and didn´t cost much (20€-thats nearly free for this size).
Sadly there is a problem with it (as with most very cheap things): it spend the last five years in the flat of chainsmokers and it strongly smells like nicotine. I had the whole thing soaking in my bathtub for about 10 hours and after a lot of water changes, it seemed kinda clean and the water wasn´t brown anymore.
It still has a lot of the smell on it tho.
I don´t want to risk that the animals I´m going to put in there will get any health issues from this, so i would like to clean it even more.
My dad recommended bare soap and vinegar, but I´m not fully sure if thats the best thing to do.

Does anyone here have a clue how to get rid of the smell and possible nicotine-residues?
Any advice or ideas would be apprichiated.

Last edited:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
If you have access to Dawn dish soap I’d give it a good soak in some soapy water. Over time it seems to dissolve stuff pretty well and is aboht as safe as a soap gets.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I would soak it in soapy water for as long as possible. Hot water. Rinse. Repeat. I'd likely also try vinegar or a reptile cleaning product.

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
I have heard that vinegar is the best, so you might want to give it a shot.
I think, I´ll try that first. I already have vinegar and using something natural is always my preferred option.

If you have access to Dawn dish soap I’d give it a good soak in some soapy water. Over time it seems to dissolve stuff pretty well and is aboht as safe as a soap gets.
I guess thats a US-brand? Because I´m from europe and therefore I can´t try this. But thanks for the tip.

I would soak it in soapy water for as long as possible. Hot water. Rinse. Repeat. I'd likely also try vinegar or a reptile cleaning product.
I already had it in the water for quite some time and the stains got washed away, but the smell stayed. Vinegar will be tried and the idea with the reptile cleaning product is great. I think, I´ll try that if everything else fails.

Try acetone.
Acetone? Wouldn´t that also attack the plastic rim of the tank and the silicone?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Acetone may attack plastics. Do a test in a corner. The thing is, it's not nicotine, it's the tar. Tar needs a solvent.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I think, I´ll try that first. I already have vinegar and using something natural is always my preferred option.

I guess thats a US-brand? Because I´m from europe and therefore I can´t try this. But thanks for the tip.

I already had it in the water for quite some time and the stains got washed away, but the smell stayed. Vinegar will be tried and the idea with the reptile cleaning product is great. I think, I´ll try that if everything else fails.

Acetone? Wouldn´t that also attack the plastic rim of the tank and the silicone?
Apparently the European version of Dawn is called Fairy. Made by the same company and similar ingredients. I’m assuming the difference is because of some sort of government regulation but who knows. Its what they use to clean oil off of animals after an oil spill.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
As a smoker myself, the best thing to use to clean tobacco smoke residue from glass is glass cleaner which is a mixture of isopropanol and ammonia. Another option is to use straight rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) as you get from the pharmacy. Don't use acetone. That is overkill for smoke residue and definitely will eat the plastic and silicone sealant. Ammonia and alcohol are both decent solvents and not as dangerous to use. I have never had much luck using vinegar to clean smoke residue from anything, but maybe I have never used enough of it since I can't stand that smell.

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
There's also a great product in the UK called "sugar soap" it's basically a cleaner designed to clean surfaces of dirt and tar stains before painting. I've used it multiple times myself and had no issues. It's a mild decreasing agent that you rub on, leave for recommended time and then wash off with water.

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
Apparently the European version of Dawn is called Fairy. Made by the same company and similar ingredients. I’m assuming the difference is because of some sort of government regulation but who knows. Its what they use to clean oil off of animals after an oil spill.
I´ll have a look at it´s ingredients and maybe try it, if the vinegar (which I´m currently trying) doesn´t work out.

As a smoker myself, the best thing to use to clean tobacco smoke residue from glass is glass cleaner which is a mixture of isopropanol and ammonia. Another option is to use straight rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) as you get from the pharmacy. Don't use acetone. That is overkill for smoke residue and definitely will eat the plastic and silicone sealant. Ammonia and alcohol are both decent solvents and not as dangerous to use. I have never had much luck using vinegar to clean smoke residue from anything, but maybe I have never used enough of it since I can't stand that smell.
Currently I´m trying watered down vinegar (if it´s dilluted in water it doesn´t smell as bad). Alcohol semms like a good idea. Might work good in solving nicotine.

There's also a great product in the UK called "sugar soap" it's basically a cleaner designed to clean surfaces of dirt and tar stains before painting. I've used it multiple times myself and had no issues. It's a mild decreasing agent that you rub on, leave for recommended time and then wash off with water.
It seems that this product isn´t aviliable here in Austria. So I sadly can´t give it a try.