Nice road rescue

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Garter snake - maybe, right color, racing stripes down the sides, about 4 feet long. Making it's way up the middle of the road! Turn on flashers and block traffic. Picked it up, it was pretty placid, and put it well off the road on the verge. It seemed not right. Went in slow zig zags and circles.
Then it dawned on me. They were rebuilding and rerouting the canals around there and all water had been blocked off. So I carried it to the car, placed it on the dashboard where it nosed about curiously, and drove over to a full canal. Put it on the bank near the water and it slid right in. Then it turned and stared my way for a few seconds as if to say, 'Thanks mate. Got a bit overheated and turned around back there'. Then it swam off back in normal mode. :smug:

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
On behalf of the snek, thank you for the good deed. I blocked traffic a few weeks ago to save a box turtle who was trying to cross the road. It's good to know there are other people out there willing to do the right thing for an animal in need, even if it's not fluffy! Cheers!

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I found an adult snapping turtle in the middle of the road a few years back so I picked him up and moved him. I had maybe 10 cars behind me full of bozos screaming that I was blocking traffic and that he was going to bite me. I needed two hands so I waited until he was safe and off the road before flipping them off.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Garter snake - maybe, right color, racing stripes down the sides, about 4 feet long. Making it's way up the middle of the road! Turn on flashers and block traffic. Picked it up, it was pretty placid, and put it well off the road on the verge. It seemed not right. Went in slow zig zags and circles.
Then it dawned on me. They were rebuilding and rerouting the canals around there and all water had been blocked off. So I carried it to the car, placed it on the dashboard where it nosed about curiously, and drove over to a full canal. Put it on the bank near the water and it slid right in. Then it turned and stared my way for a few seconds as if to say, 'Thanks mate. Got a bit overheated and turned around back there'. Then it swam off back in normal mode. :smug:
In Thailand? That ain't no garter snake if so. Not sure what it was, since Thailand has a lot of snakes.

Of course, if you were in North America that's a different story.

Either way, a lovely tale.

The Snark

Old Timer
before flipping them off.
I get the feeling flipping someone off while trying to hold a snapper might be a bad move. Wouldn't want to clamp one between your knees to free up your hands.

In Thailand? That ain't no garter snake if so.
Yups, you're right. Double checking, these sporks don't have the medial stripe. Any idea what they might be? They aren't Bronzebacks - color isn't right. They love the shallow water in canals and zapping the trapped fingerlings.
Going by my other's histrionics when I'm handling them they are Anacobras with limited flight capabilities.

Last edited:

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I get the feeling flipping someone off while trying to hold a snapper might be a bad move. Wouldn't want to clamp one between your knees to free up your hands.

Yups, you're right. Double checking, these sporks don't have the medial stripe. Any idea what they might be? They aren't Bronzebacks - color isn't right. They love the shallow water in canals and zapping the trapped fingerlings.
Going by my other's histrionics when I'm handling them they are Anacobras with limited flight capabilities.

Yes It was the best way to show everyone I hadn’t lost any fingers

The Snark

Old Timer
I developed a healthy respect for several animals from various encounters others have had with them. A biology teacher at a college I went to had a severely crippled hand. While in grade school the students were shown a snapping turtle. It was mishandled and got a good chomp on the pinky side of her hand reaching about to mid palmar.

The Snark

Old Timer
probably a keelback
No. It looks like a very typical garter snake, a stripe down each side, but no stripe down the middle of it's back. Very common around here and oddly, net searches aren't turning up anything.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yay, good on ya for helping out!

I have a sticker in the centre of my truck's tailgate that says "I BRAKE FOR SNAKES" and boy, does it come in handy for eliminating the deaf/hearing language barrier!

Me: *stopped in the roadway, emergency flasher's on, driver's door flung wide open*

Random other driver: *appearing to shout, and gesturing angrily*

Me: *holds up snake, smiles and shrugs while indicating to tailgate sticker*

:rofl:

Anacobras with limited flight capabilities.
I need this on a shirt! :rofl:

The Snark

Old Timer
"I BRAKE FOR SNAKES"
Tailgate of Sis's P.U.:
BACK OFF
I throw pee out the windows.

DANGER
I BRAKE FOR NO FRIGGING REASON

I need to get her to add a nod for snakes.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tailgate of Sis's P.U.:
BACK OFF
I throw pee out the windows.

DANGER
I BRAKE FOR NO FRIGGING REASON

I need to get her to add a nod for snakes.
Oh goodness haha Yeah, at least snakes are a valid reason!