Genus Nhandu

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
N. vulpinus :

Has molted since thae picture was taken.

Later,

Jake

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nhandu coloratovillosus

They almost make you itch just looking at them. I have a juvie now, ~3", and the little monster just loves to kick hairs at me.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My pics Nhandu coloratovillosus subadult female (Here have a load of em)

Last edited:

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They almost make you itch just looking at them. I have a juvie now, ~3", and the little monster just loves to kick hairs at me.
I have watched 14 N. c. grow up from slings and those that had bad temper and loved to kick hairs with the slightest disturbance all turned out to be males. The one I held is a female. It is docile and calm, and yes, still itchy even if it doesn't kick hairs too often.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My girl would never let me hold her like that. She doesn't kick hairs much but she won't hesitate to go into a threat posture and slap.

^^^ we still can't link to pictures as images from the "old" board stuff, booo! ;)

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's my adult female Nhandu carapoensis .
Very docile - never seen her kicking hairs - if annoyed she prefer run to her hideout.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by laila
Here is my very active N. coloratovillosus sling:
Hey Laila ;-)

I see you are using cedar bark bedding. Just for your information, all conifers - including cedar (in paticular) contain very volatile terpenes. That is one of the reasons why this bedding were introduced in the herp industry - the terpenes function as a very potent pesticide against for instance mites ... and other arachnids ... In my experience (has lost a few priced T's due to this bedding in the past - one being an adult X. immanis female) and others' - this bedding is very unhealthy for t's and spiders in general. I would suggest that you change the substrate to ordinary potting soil (again look out for products without added pesticides or fungicides), peat moss, or coconut husks - anything which doesn't have a conifer origin.

Best regards
Søren

laila

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice, Søren! :)
I don't use it with all my T's, but I do use it for photoshoots. I think it makes it easier to compare the size of them, and it has a nice color... But I have to admit I still use it for some of them.

But I am now on my way to buy some more potting soil! It helps keeping the humidity up, too. I'm not sure my ornata is ready to move, though! =D