Nhandu tripepii vs Pamphobeteus fortis

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

Gonna get one of these as my next T.
The N. Tripepii is 3cm and the P. Fortis is 4cm

What do you think I should get? What are your experiences with these?
I am quite intrigued by the Pamphobeteus fortis, I've never see this Genus.
But the Brazilian Blonde is also so alluring.

Which is better in your opinion?

As to why don't I get both, I suppose I can, but they're quite expensive where I live and I already bought 8 Tarantula's in the last month so I'm trying to tell myself to slow down lol.
And even so I have 11 T's already.

cold blood

Staff member
2 of my favorite genera....tripepii just may be my favorite Nhandu...I love blond ts....Pamphobetus are all great....but fortis for whatever reason is one that just doesnt excite me like so many other Pamphs....I vote for the Nhandu

Both are top notch eaters, both grow very fast....the tripepii is more defensive and skittish. Neither is much for hiding, so both are good display species.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have both. The Nhandu are far more high strung and skittish. They grow faster too. Make sure that they have a hide or they're gone.
If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the Nhandu tripepii.
My Pamphobeteus fortis female.
DSC08226-2.jpg
My Nhandu tripepii male.
DSC08857-2.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have 3 tripepii and 4 Pamphos (not fortis, but they're mostly similar.)

So far I'm enjoying the tripepii more, but YMMV.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Another vote for team Nhandu. I don't have any Pamphos, which some may consider a crime, but they really don't excite me much for some reason. However I very much enjoy my N. tripepii and thank my lucky stars I got it as a freebie, as I doubt I would have thought to get one for quite a while otherwise. Which is odd because I absolutely adore the strawberry-blond adults in their massive fluffy glory, but it was always one of those Ts I kept passing up for another I was interested in. Don't make my mistake. ;)

My girl Puppy is skittish as all hell but is always out in the open and rarely hides rather than scampers AROUND her hide. She's been a fantastic eater from the time I got her as a less than 1" sling, and thankfully isn't a hair kicker and has never so much as given a threat pose. She just likes to make me anxious every time I open the enclosure and hope this isn't the time she comes flying out of it. :rofl:

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
Man the photography in this thread is sick. Props to that.
Thanks for the responses! Lol guess that's 4-0 for the N. Tripepii
No love for the P. Fortis :dead::smug:

cold blood

Staff member
Despite the 4-0 voting....there is no wrong answer.....its never a bad decision to choose any Pamph.

Until last year, tripepii was very hard to find....im glad thats changed and that theyre now more available to everyone.

ThorsWebb

Arachnopeon
I vote for the tripepii too. I don't have any Pamphos, but since my big female tripepii is one of my absolute favorite spiders over all, I push for that.
Mine is not skittish at all, always out, eats everything that moves and sometimes trying to eat even things that doesn't move, such the waterbowl. A few weeks ago she took the waterbowl in a way so she got all the water over her. She sat there for a few minutes, all wet and then went in to her hide (where she never go). After a few minutes she came back out, took the waterbowl and placed it where she usually put the bolus. Always something fun going on. And she is absolutely gorgeous! I don't think you will regret getting one.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
No love for the P. Fortis :dead::smug:
I adore my girl. She is mostly always out in the open, has an unbelievable appetite, I think she's gorgeous, and she is really very laid back. Plus, she never kicks hair at me. I do love her and wouldn't give her up.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Never had any Phampos actually! But Nanhus ar great. But Pampho are great too. Hard choice!

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I've never kept any Nhandus, but I would go with the P. fortis just on the basis of it being harder to come by. I'm in Canada though so this might not apply everywhere.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I would go with the Nhandu....almost all Pamphos look the same...to me anyways.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
I have no Pamphobetus but I can recommend the Nhandu. Beuatiful, good eater and fast growth. My juvie was out of her burrow yesterday and I was perplexed how huge she got with just one molt. Need to rehouse her soon, now.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Pamphos = most overrated t's in the hobby.
Get the trippepi
Then get some Phormictopus. Much better than Pamphobeteus IMO
Yes this is my opinion and there is no reason for anyone to get all defensive

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I could think of many other genera/species that I would consider overrated before Pamphobeteus.
Pamphobeteus fortis sub-adult female.
DSC00673-2.jpg
Pamphobeteus sp. Machala adult female.
DSC00651-2.jpg
Pamphobeteus platyomma juvenile male.
DSC08847-2.jpg

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I feel like they are beautiful t's. Especially the males. Females of most pamphos are pretty but not as good looking as many make them out to be. There are much better looking female nw terrestrials imo.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I feel like they are beautiful t's. Especially the males. Females of most pamphos are pretty but not as good looking as many make them out to be. There are much better looking female nw terrestrials imo.
And how about the Phormics you like...its really the males that are drop dead gorgeous and not as much the females.