Nhandu coloratovillosus vs. nhandu chromatus vs. Acanthoscurria geniculata

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep mine too, she never flicks hair ever. She'd rather bite than flick. Go with the Geniculata. I get alot of personality out of my girl. Chromatus are more aggressive than Genics. One thing I really like about my Genic is how she is always out and about. She will grab 3 crickets at a time to shove in her mouth. She also attacks the water when I fill her dish. It's too funny. Go with the female Genic if you do get one they live longer than males and get larger than the other species.
Have you tried getting her out of her enclosure? Mine will come up and tap my hand with her front two legs and then crawl onto my hand.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just recieved my 5 inch female Nhandu Chromatus in the mail (10:27 CST) and I wanted to see if the seller was right about her being handleable. My Nhandu Chromatus did not kick a hair or go in her defense posture. I handle her straight from the shipping package. I thought this was the most "stressful" event a captive bred tarantula could go through. I wish I could post a photo. She is calm has my Golden Knee.{D

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just recieved my 5 inch female Nhandu Chromatus in the mail (10:27 CST) and I wanted to see if the seller was right about her being handleable. My Nhandu Chromatus did not kick a hair or go in her defense posture. I handle her straight from the shipping package. I thought this was the most "stressful" event a captive bred tarantula could go through. I wish I could post a photo. She is calm has my Golden Knee.{D
congratz Lennie

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to say I have handled my nhandu chromatus 3 different times since I got her 10/15/08 and still no defensive behavior!{D

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Decided to go with a Nhandu chromatus because I like the color better. She flicked hair all the way from the deli cup to the hide. Absolutely love it. :D

Thanks guys for all the input.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Decided to go with a Nhandu chromatus because I like the color better. She flicked hair all the way from the deli cup to the hide. Absolutely love it. :D

Thanks guys for all the input.
How big is she? Have you handled her yet?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
About 4.5", still has some growing to go. Haven't tried handling her yet. Not when she thinks flicking hair while walking into her hide is a cool thing to do. :D

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i like them all, my chromatus has never flicked a hair but is aggressive and will give me a threat posture every time i "disturb" her, my N. color. is my favorite, very active and doesnt hide alot, kicks hairs but is somewhat calm also very hairy and you cant go wrong with a genic

i would go with the N. color.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i like them all, my chromatus has never flicked a hair but is aggressive and will give me a threat posture every time i "disturb" her, my N. color. is my favorite, very active and doesnt hide alot, kicks hairs but is somewhat calm also very hairy and you cant go wrong with a genic

i would go with the N. color.
She bought the Nhandu Chromatus BUT if she is looking for future purchases you are right!:cool:

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
You wont regret buying a genic. Not only that they're almost always out in the open, they also have insatiable appetites. They will eat almost anything. Attack anything that moves. This specimen is not a boring specimen like other T's. Defensive, always hungry and definitely nice markings.
The A. geniculata is definitely a must for any collection IMO :)

mikie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nhandu coloratovillosus

About the three, which spiece tends to bite more easily. I've got a Nhandu coloratovillosus, is it handlable? Thanks

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
don't go with any of them.

I have all three. If forced to choose one of them I would have to go with the genic because of what a voracious eater she is. Unfortunately, none of these species is in any way defensive, at least not what I consider defensive (some hair flicking and occasional threat displays, big deal). For this reason I'd have to advise against any of them.

--the nature boy

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Try it and see. I handle mine with no problems.
All three are a piece of cake to handle. The Nhandus are a bit skittish, but I let my 5 year old daughter handle them as well as the genic. And, no, I don't allow her to handle everything in my collection.

--the nature boy

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Should start a separate thread, mikie.
This is true but since it's sort of on topic and easily answered i'll bite.

The temperament of these 3 species is similar enough that which is more likely to bite really comes down to the individual.

From my personal experience: Generally speaking, the N chromatus is the most skittish ie least likely to bite you. The coloratovillosus and geniculata are both very prey aggressive and somewhat defensive also. Which one is nastier is really a toss up. My personal experience is that my 4" N coloratovillosus is genuinely defensive and will throw threats AND strike at almost anything that comes in its enclosure. The geniculata is pretty docile as a MM but was almost as feisty as the coloratovillosus up until his mature molt. The chromatus is and always has been extremely skittish, running from everything. I can imagine an accidental bite happening with him though just because when feeding he's very "tackle now, ask questions later".

All 3 are great species and a nice 1st step into less docile variety IMO. The N chromatus was my least favorite of the 3 just because it's so skittish and more or less a pet hole. Right now my favorite is the N coloratovillosus because she's the only girl and she's still growing. She is a B!+CH too!