Nhandu chromatus Questions

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
How big do Nhandu chromatus females get !!!! The internet says 8-9 inches, thats why I got one ... but then everything else is saying it only gets to maybe 6 inches ...I'm really bummed out if that's the case .. I still love her cuz she's gorgeous ..but I was excited for the impressive size

Everything I look up says they're going to be bigger then 6 inches

Last edited by a moderator:

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't let a couple of inches bum you out. A 6 inch tarantula is pretty huge in person and can be more to handle than you think. Be happy with your purchase :) and sometimes theraphosa stirmis can top out around 9-10 inches and others can be 11-12 inches. But focusing on your question I believe around 6 inches is accurate. Have a good one!

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't let a couple of inches bum you out. A 6 inch tarantula is pretty huge in person and can be more to handle than you think. Be happy with your purchase :) and sometimes theraphosa stirmis can top out around 9-10 inches and others can be 11-12 inches. But focusing on your question I believe around 6 inches is accurate. Have a good one!
Thank you lol I am still completely in love with her as she is already (she's 3 inches) the prettiest little spider I've ever seen in person ...but was just curious on why the internet would lie to me lmfao haha

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
If you want a pretty tarantula that gets that size without getting a Theraphosa look at the Pamphobeteus genus. There are many species that get to see 8/8.5” and the males and females are equally pretty. The very biggest N. chromatus might get 7” but they just aren’t gigantic. Still, they eat good and are definitely a pretty spider. ;)

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
Well at least the guy I got her from says its a girl..(she's 3inches) .. she is my first trantula and I literally just got her today.... everything online says she was going to be big so I I have no doubt in my mind she was going to be... then I come on here out of boredom and see I've been lied to by google lmfao .. it doesn't matter the size either way ..she is my favourite thing in the world and I'll love her just the same lol

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I've always thought 6 - 7 inches was average. My two males hooked out at 5 and 6 inches if I recall correctly, so I expect females to be a bit larger in legspan. But if you consider the bulk of females, it's certainly not a small spider

Edit to add: if you want to confirm the sex of it, you could post a picture of the underside of its abdomen in the sexing section. These guys are decently easy to sex ventrally

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
That interweb! It will tell LIES!!

"brown toed human killing dwarf birdeating Tarantula!"

Care sheet-
1/2 inch substrate
Super tall enclosure
Sponge in water dish
:rofl:

Don't cringe at me.

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
If you want a pretty tarantula that gets that size without getting a Theraphosa look at the Pamphobeteus genus. There are many species that get to see 8/8.5” and the males and females are equally pretty. The very biggest N. chromatus might get 7” but they just aren’t gigantic. Still, they eat good and are definitely a pretty spider. ;)
Well my first choice was a acanthoscurria geniculata ,but I can't find them anywhere ,then i came across a nhandu chromatus and figured it was the next best thing to what I wanted and fell I love!!! .. I will be getting and acanthoscurria geniculata hopefully in October in Edmonton.. but for now my nhandu chromatus is absolutely perfect!!!

I've always thought 6 - 7 inches was average. My two males hooked out at 5 and 6 inches if I recall correctly, so I expect females to be a bit larger in legspan. But if you consider the bulk of females, it's certainly not a small spider

Edit to add: if you want to confirm the sex of it, you could post a picture of the underside of its abdomen in the sexing section. These guys are decently easy to sex ventrally
I will definitely do that !!! Thank you!!!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Here I was thinking it was an actual emergency with a subject like that in this sub-forum. Topics like this are designed to go into the Tarantula Chat sub-forum. This forum is designed for "serious tarantula-related questions and discussions on science, care, breeding, and other topics with significant repercussions for the hobby.".
Plus, I will never understand how a 6" spider is considered by some people to not be impressive enough.

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
Here I was thinking it was an actual emergency with a subject like that in this sub-forum. Topics like this are designed to go into the Tarantula Chat sub-forum.
Plus, I will never understand how a 6" spider isn't impressive enough.
I'm sorry lol this is my 3rd time using this site ..I didnt know there was certain spots for different topics lol this was just the only place it would let me type anything

Here I was thinking it was an actual emergency with a subject like that in this sub-forum. Topics like this are designed to go into the Tarantula Chat sub-forum. This forum is designed for "serious tarantula-related questions and discussions on science, care, breeding, and other topics with significant repercussions for the hobby.".
Plus, I will never understand how a 6" spider is considered by some people to not be impressive enough.
And I didn't say it wasn't impressive. It is an absolutely amazing spider and I don't regret her in the slightest. I'm just saying I'm bummed I didn't get what I paid for....

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
And I didn't say it wasn't impressive. It is an absolutely amazing spider and I don't regret her in the slightest. I'm just saying I'm bummed I didn't get what I paid for....
I'm really bummed out if that's the case .. I still love her cuz she's gorgeous ..but I was excited for the impressive size
This is what you said. That you were bummed out, because you were excited for the 8-9" impressive size. Secondly, if you had done your research, it would have been very easy to find out that this species gets to be an average of about 6" for females. How many sources did you check for that information, or did you just take one person's word for it?

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
This is what you said. That you were bummed out, because you were excited for the 8-9" impressive size. Secondly, if you had done your research, it would have been very easy to find out that this species gets to be an average of about 6" for females. How many sources did you check for that information, or did you just take one person's word for it?
I have been looking this up for weeks now and this forum is the only place that says they only get 6 inches

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Don't you want her to stay on the forum and get her info from here? And there's a difference between helping someone and being in a sour mood. It's all good you know. She's fine I'm fine your fine. We are here to learn : )

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have been looking this up for weeks now and this forum is the only place that says they only get 6 inches
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_red_and_white_tarantula - 6"
http://www.mikebasictarantula.com/Nha-chromatus-care-sheet.html - 6"
http://www.tarantulasus.com/content.php/72-Nhandu-chromatus-(Brazilian-Red-and-White)-Care-Sheet - 6"
https://www.mymonsters.co.za/product/nhandu-chromatus/ - ~6"

Don't you want her to stay on the forum and get her info from here? And there's a difference between helping someone and being in a sour mood. It's all good you know. She's fine I'm fine your fine. We are here to learn : )
I think that subjects with HEEELLLPP in the title should be reserved for actual emergencies.

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
Lmfao OK i get it haha you know everything and I know nothing lmfao :rofl::rofl::cow::mooning:

Thank you :shy::p

But your right ! Those all do say 6 inches.. but a lot of them say 8 to 10..so I just came to look here outta boredom!! Cuz at the end of the day I really didn't care .. I literally got it TODAY cuz it was what I wanted at this point !!! And yes I was bummed out finding out there wasn't a chance for it to get that big when I thought it was a 50-50 chance it would ...but thank you for the rudeness over something you didnt have to participate in lmfao have a good day sir

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
But your right ! Those all do say 6 inches.. but a lot of them say 8 to 10..so I just came to look here outta boredom!! Cuz at the end of the day I really didn't care .. I literally got it TODAY cuz it was what I wanted at this point !!! And yes I was bummed out finding out there wasn't a chance for it to get that big when I thought it was a 50-50 chance it would ...but thank you for the rudeness over something you didnt have to participate in lmfao have a good day sir
For what it's worth, I got my L. parahybana also expecting that they get significantly larger than they actually do. I was expecting a tarantula that maxes out around 11 inches, only to find out 8 inches is a much more reasonable estimate. It's always a bit of a let down to find out something isn't exactly what you were expecting, but you'll love your new pet just the same.

As for the attitude of some people on here, please try not to take it to heart. It may sound like it's just someone going out of their way to be rude, but try to think about it in the perspective of a more experienced person who is extremely passionate about these creatures. Sure, being unsure of the size of a tarantula isn't a major issue, but to them that begs the question: if you don't even know the correct size of what you already have, do you even know how to care for it? That's a very real scenario that anyone who has been on here long enough sees quite frequently. So emotions come into play, and we start speaking out of passion and genuine concern for the animal.

Try to think of it less like someone is coming at you and trying to belittle you, and more like they're just worried about something they care very deeply about and speaking emotionally. Hopefully then, you can understand where we come from sometimes. I know a lot of us on here get a bad rap and accidentally chase off newcomers, but this truly is the greatest source for ACCURATE information on tarantulas that you can possibly find, and it would really be a shame (for both you and your new pet) to lose that resource. I really hope you stick around, and always feel free to ask any questions :)

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
For what it's worth, I got my L. parahybana also expecting that they get significantly larger than they actually do. I was expecting a tarantula that maxes out around 11 inches, only to find out 8 inches is a much more reasonable estimate. It's always a bit of a let down to find out something isn't exactly what you were expecting, but you'll love your new pet just the same.

As for the attitude of some people on here, please try not to take it to heart. It may sound like it's just someone going out of their way to be rude, but try to think about it in the perspective of a more experienced person who is extremely passionate about these creatures. Sure, being unsure of the size of a tarantula isn't a major issue, but to them that begs the question: if you don't even know the correct size of what you already have, do you even know how to care for it? That's a very real scenario that anyone who has been on here long enough sees quite frequently. So emotions come into play, and we start speaking out of passion and genuine concern for the animal.

Try to think of it less like someone is coming at you and trying to belittle you, and more like they're just worried about something they care very deeply about and speaking emotionally. Hopefully then, you can understand where we come from sometimes. I know a lot of us on here get a bad rap and accidentally chase off newcomers, but this truly is the greatest source for ACCURATE information on tarantulas that you can possibly find, and it would really be a shame (for both you and your new pet) to lose that resource. I really hope you stick around, and always feel free to ask any questions :)
Your 100% right. And
I think that subjects with HEEELLLPP in the title should be reserved for actual emergencies.
Your right. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Well heres the thing....chromatus females are most certainly larger than 6"....they can in fact, reach the 7" range....their bulk makes them seem even larger.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
The other thing to consider is that size can vary with the individual itself too. I have seen a large variation in size for lots of animals. My Siberian Forrest cat is pushing 16 lbs but that doesn't mean that all females would get that big (she needs to go on a diet lol).

This forum is full of awesome and knowledgeable folks with a passion for inverts. I think some of the veteran keepers may come off a little curt to the beginners but usually the advice is pretty good. I have been helped immensely from this forum. There is a lot of controversy surrounding exotic keeping and care so there are conflicting opinions on some stuff. And folks are passionate about their animals clashes can happen. But I guarantee that those who stick around can gain a ton of knowledge from a lot of different people.