Nhandu chromatus handling.. need help

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tarantulas are not puppies and kittens. They are tarantulas. They are instinct-programmed, reflex-driven robots. Fascinating, interesting, beautiful robots, but robots nonetheless. They are not mammals, and they do not form personal attachments to other living creatures beyond "I can eat this" and "this can eat me."
They don't form any personal attatchments this is true, however isn't it possible that with repeated handling from early on that one could get used to the feel of a person's hand as a surface to readily walk on?

(I read this somewhere else and thought it made sense.)

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tarantulas are not puppies and kittens. They are tarantulas. They are instinct-programmed, reflex-driven robots. Fascinating, interesting, beautiful robots, but robots nonetheless. They are not mammals, and they do not form personal attachments to other living creatures beyond "I can eat this" and "this can eat me."
They don't form any personal attatchments this is true, however isn't it possible that with repeated handling from early on that one could get used to the feel of a person's hand as a surface to readily walk on?

(I read this somewhere else and thought it made sense.)

Pink-Poodle88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmmm on handling i guess i have to be frank i really like to handle her
one breeder ones told me to handle a T' you must handle them when they are still young to make them more tolerable (i dont insist its true but he has a point)
I've heard that too from lots of people, but I don't know if it's true. It seems like over time, they can develop likes and dislike(for example, refusing certain foods) which would seem to suggest that they have at least some sort of memory or mentality or something, and could be able to eventually associate things and experiences from the past and make conclusions based on that, but I don't know.

Tarantulas are solitary by nature though, they want to be left alone and will probably never actually like handling, but I think maybe after time they may start to tolerate it more easily. Some of my tarantulas are so docile that they don't resist handling at all or kick hairs or anything, but most of the ones like that were like that when I got them.

It's true that tarantulas and other arthropods are generally much more controlled by instinct alone than most other animals, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them "robots" or anything like that. Like I said, I definitely don't have the scientific authority to say for sure, but I think they must have at least some sort of a mentality.

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree 100%. While they are very interesting pets, and some may tolerate handling, they will never "get close."

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I certainly won't mess with my N. chromatus anymore than required. This is her response to filling the water dish, or any tank maintenance.

Last edited:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the main reason i want my N. chromatus to tolerate habdling
It might tolerate handling but you won't tolerate getting bit. I go with the others. Those I dealt with were ubber agressive.

They are ways to transfer without allowing the T to attack you. Put old enclosure in/beside the new one and steer the bug with a long stick. Get a content to catch it if it goes berserk.;)

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmmm dont really want to put in my noobish knowledge here but.... since a tarantula doesnt have what we as humans would percieve as a true brain , it will never really understand an emotional bond with its caretaker (is this a correct assumption ?) It might be more tolerable to handling but in no way shape or form does that mean it enjoys it more !!! plus a tarantula that has the speed burst potential of a lotus exige should not be tampered with in my honest opinion ..... All i can imagine is the sound it would make as it tried to escape from your hand and ended up splatting on your floor ?
but if you want to hold it (as most people want to with their t,s ...myself sad to say included ) then give a shot and be gentle and patient ... but dont be upset to find yourself in the bite report section of arachnoboards:D

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmmm dont really want to put in my noobish knowledge here but.... since a tarantula doesnt have what we as humans would percieve as a true brain , it will never really understand an emotional bond with its caretaker (is this a correct assumption ?) It might be more tolerable to handling but in no way shape or form does that mean it enjoys it more !!! plus a tarantula that has the speed burst potential of a lotus exige should not be tampered with in my honest opinion ..... All i can imagine is the sound it would make as it tried to escape from your hand and ended up splatting on your floor ?
but if you want to hold it (as most people want to with their t,s ...myself sad to say included ) then give a shot and be gentle and patient ... but dont be upset to find yourself in the bite report section of arachnoboards:D
dont worry ill more than likely be the post right under you talking about the effects of paraphybana venom or the toxicity level of an o.b.t bite to the face ( thats the first place she runs to when im handling her sorry cant help it haha )

church15

Arachnopeon
hmmm i guess theyre not kittens or mammals so they cant get personal attachment but im talking about how they be attached to your palm and
actually loving it when she gets used to it for her to adapt (or maybe im wrong)

she doesnt have a hide thats why i want to transfer her ASAP but the breeder told me shes just molted so i will wait for 2 weeks to transfer/feed her in a new cage

hmmm if i ever get bitten ill tell you guys hehehe

the good sign in my N.Chromatus is when shes a bit disturbed she doesnt
kick hairs so kicking hairs is out of the question my only problem would
be the speed burst which is very difficult to solve and the possibility of me being bitten

ok i wont wait till next week maybe maybe ill try handling her 5 days from now
i think that would be enough for her to settle down

but if all else fails and i cant handle her even for one bit i think she can make up for her good coloration and display shes such a beauty hehehe

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
welllll

A. Genics and Nhandu are kind of the same so I have read and heard. My A. Genic is agressive but I still handle her. She hasnt bitten me once. Came close one time but thats it. I was careless and stuck my hand in to change the water, she was in her bark and bursted out and almost got me. If you do decide to handle it be sure not to jsut stick your hand in. Try and easier way like make it climb the side of the tank or w/e its in and place your hand flat on the other side so when it goes over the edge it is on your hand.

I still personally advise it.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmmm i guess theyre not kittens or mammals so they cant get personal attachment but im talking about how they be attached to your palm and actually loving it when she gets used to it for her to adapt (or maybe im wrong)
They will never, ever "love" being handled. They enjoy sitting in a familiar environment, where they have little web-lines on the substrate to let them know where they are. They enjoy being in that familiar space and doing pretty much nothing until food comes along. Any interaction is a benefit to the human only...although in the case of a high-strung bitey species, maybe not that much benefit. {D

ok i wont wait till next week maybe maybe ill try handling her 5 days from now i think that would be enough for her to settle down
No, you need to wait until she's recovered from the molt, same as with rehousing. If she's not recovered enough to eat, she's not recovered enough to be messed with in any other way either.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nhandu chromatus ummmm ya........... Not the best species to be sticking your hand in the tank too say hello.
I have a Nhandu Vulpinus that I tried to handle and the problem i had was that he was super skittish and fast. I'm going to try to handle him again I don't know when though. I got my first attempt on video but its hard to upload.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nhandu chromatus ummmm ya........... Not the best species to be sticking your hand in the tank too say hello.
I have a Nhandu Vulpinus that I tried to handle and the problem i had was that he was super skittish and fast. I'm going to try to handle him again I don't know when though. I got my first attempt on video but its hard to upload.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have males and females of both N.chromatus and A.genic; and we definitely choose to play with someone else....hehehehe

These are great display T's but not first choice for handle~ables...:p

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If handling is a must, why not get one of the less defensive species to "play" with. Still have the hairs, but less attitude.

The only attachment your N. chromatus is going to have with your palm is with it's fangs. lol

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While they can't get attached to you...what cacoseraph has seen is simple habituation. If the T gets a stimulus with no real negative consequenes(being handled) over time the T should object less to handling.

I've got a female...and she seems pretty nice. I have not attempted handling and see no real need to.

church15

Arachnopeon
Thnx for all infos and concerns

but the good news is ive managed to handle my T" hehehe yes!!!!

at first is kinda hard so i use a pen to caress her then put her on the side of the
cage and gently puh her upward to my hand then is easy shes fat moving so you have to let her crawl up to your shoulder i did this in front of a mirror looks cool

the only hard part is putting her back coz she wont go in her cage
when i put her down she just wanna go up

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your T only molted five days ago. WHY ARE YOU HANDLING IT? Much less putting her somewhere as potentially unsafe as your shoulder, instead of on your hand held low over a flat surface. The T is fragile and stress-prone enough right now, without taking those kinds of chances.

EDIT: I re-checked the thread, and it was definitely made clear to you not to pester the T excessively for like two weeks after a molt. Come on, man.

church15

Arachnopeon
dont worry shes safe

i wont hanlde her again coz i just transfer her in her new home hopes shes happy

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dont worry shes safe

i wont hanlde her again coz i just transfer her in her new home hopes shes happy
I would stop asking questions if you are only going to do the opposite of what we suggest. :wall: