Nhandu Chromatus 1 1/2 enclosure

maddanie42

Arachnopeon
Hey,

So Im still a beginner and ive just been double checking everything on here to get some second opinions.
I got a Nhandu Chromatus sling a couple days ago. More than 1.25, and it just molted so itll be even more than that, but I haven't seen it out and about since before the molt.

Anyway, I set up an enclosure and I just wanted to get some advice on it to make sure itll be suitable.

So, its in a burrito style deli container. Its packed down with slighty damp cocofiber and on top i put a layer of the bark that it was housed in when I got it just because I heard they might be more comfortable if they have some of their old substrate with them. Anyway, I have cut in half a pot for a hide and I added a super small cap for water after the picture was taken.

The first day I put them in there they went straight into the hide and the next day i woke up to a molt. So they will be slightly bigger than the picture you see, but they've been hiding out since then so i haven't seen them yet.

So, any advice or tips on the species in general and the enclosures? I am assuming its a little too big, but I dont think they can hurt themselves since its a fairly short container.
0810182148.jpg 0807181830a.jpg 0807181830.jpg 0808182156a.jpg

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Lose the bark chips, your Nhandu will be much happier on just the cocofiber. Since your substrate is going to be on the moister side for these guys I would recommend to put a few more ventilation holes into the lid, other than that it looks okay to me.

maddanie42

Arachnopeon
a 16 oz deli cup is what i use....
Ahh, I see. 3 inches would be almost pushing it though right? Like, if you bought a T at 2.5—3 would you still use one that small for a while or would it be more worth it to put it in something a little bigger? I know Ts like to feel secure but sometimes my mind is blown at how small containers can be....

cold blood

Staff member
Ahh, I see. 3 inches would be almost pushing it though right? Like, if you bought a T at 2.5—3 would you still use one that small for a while or would it be more worth it to put it in something a little bigger? I know Ts like to feel secure but sometimes my mind is blown at how small containers can be....
About 3" s when I re-house...but if I had just got a 2.5"er, I would go right into the next step up...which for me is generally a small kritter keeper.