Next Tarantula

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
I recently got a B. albopilosum from Jamie's Tarantulas. If my parents allow me to get another spider, currently I have these choices: L. parahybana, A. geniculata, B. vagans, G. pulchripes. I can't choose! :banghead:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
G. pulchripes is a great overall package. Cool appearance, grows to a good size, very cheap, widely available, and docile for the most part. They can fast for months sometimes, and they can be a bit moody occasionally, but no major issues.

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
Ok, but they are from different dealers, they are all juveniles except for the G. pulchripes, which is a sling.

iwlim

Arachnopeon
I have all of the above, and personally i love the the genic and the LP for their feeding response and growth rate. Plus the LP is dirt cheap! What size would you get one at, as the pulchripes is painfully slow.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
They're all good choices. Out of the four I have only owned A. geniculata. I have not been disappointed from day one, however they are maybe a little more advanced than the three others. They can flick hairs quite often and I hear they aren't pleasant but not the worst. I'd give the nod to G. pulchripes, vagans or the LP, depending on your experience level as a 2nd T. I'd say leave the geniculate as a 3rd or 4th.

Which dealers are they?

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
The LP is a great choice if it's cheap, fast growing and pretty chill.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
Go with whichever one has the attributes you like the most! I would say the G. pulchripes but I'm biased as mine is my favorite T. They are super chill, great eaters and not to shy. Also, gorgeous when their coloring comes in.

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
They're all good choices. Out of the four I have only owned A. geniculata. I have not been disappointed from day one, however they are maybe a little more advanced than the three others. They can flick hairs quite often and I hear they aren't pleasant but not the worst. I'd give the nod to G. pulchripes, vagans or the LP, depending on your experience level as a 2nd T. I'd say leave the geniculate as a 3rd or 4th.

Which dealers are they?
Jamie's and Fear Not.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I would go for the G.pulchripes they are great eaters and great display T. But so is the A.genic + The Genic have a beautiful but :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I's probably go for either the G. pulchripes or the LP. My big female G. pulchripes is great, but has been fasting for many months now. And that sling will take pretty long to grow into a huge T. LP would be my bet, as they grow out of that sling/juvie stage fast and get huge. Have a great feeding response and hear they are great. Never owned an LP, but hear they are great :D

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I own all four. I haven't yet been too impressed by my LP. I would go for either the A. genic. or the G. pulchripes. I probably have a slight preference toward the A. genic at the moment because my G. pulchripes has been underground for the past 2.5 months and I haven't seen her. My A. genic has been growing fast, it is always hungry, and it is almost always out on display.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
My unsexed, suspect female, juvenile/sub-adult-ish is an eating machine. Never refuses to take 3 crickets every week or so.

It did however make a major slow down in growth. I've had her since a 3/4" sling in 2010 and hasn't molted since 2013. So this next molt I'm expecting a sizable T and hopefully a molt worthy of sexing.

In my experience, LP's are rather flighty and skittish. They also love to crawl on everything in the enclosure and are pretty much out in the open all the time. Also in my experience, they do have some noteworthy urticating hairs. Not as bad as a Theraphosa or Nhandu, but more so than my Grammastola's or Aphonpelma's.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
G. pulchripes - Mine is like a bulldozer in its deli-cup. It is always out in the open.

B. Vagans will grow to be the smallest of the four in case maximum size means something to you (6" versus 8").

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have all except the B. vagans, I'd personally recommend the A. geniculata, they're beautiful, pretty easy to care for, have an insane feeding response, only refuse food when in premoult, they grow quickly and are always out in the open as they get bigger.
Mine is pretty calm, once she realises something isn't food she usually just walks away, she rarely kick hairs but I do find the hairs mildly irritating, I got her as my second T and she's easily one of my favourites.

My L. parahybana is insanely skittish (I'm hoping she calms down once she hits subadult size), kicks hairs fairly often and I have the worst reaction to her hairs out of all of my T's (they cause small rashes and I itch for a few days after getting haired). I honestly prefer my L. difficilis as she's more inclined to throw up a threat posture than to kick hairs.

My G. pulchripes is pretty docile, has never kicked hairs, is quite inquisitive (it likes to try to wander out of the enclosure when I open it up to do maintenance), it's a good eater, mine is pretty active, they're meant to be one of the faster-growing Grammostola species but still grow pretty slowly I got mine as a 1" sling in July and it's a little over 2" now.