Next T Ideas

sasker

Arachnoprince
P. irminia are similar but prone to hiding and maybe more defensive, right?
Not speaking from personal experience, but I think you are spot on. They are absolutely gorgeous, but I hear many keepers say their P. irminia's tend to hide a lot. Also, the males are not as vividly coloured as the females, which can be a bummer if you have to keep your collection small.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks to both of you! Hope to make it to the San Diego reptile show next month.. will keep an eye out for these. Have a pretty good feeling I'll end up getting one eventually.

P. irminia are similar but prone to hiding and maybe more defensive, right? I do like their bold chevrons and red streaks but if they hide, kinda a moot point.. got my I. miras for that kind of trick. ;)
polar opposites. Irminia is a very defensive t, cams are not like that....also where a cam hides less as it grows, an irminia hides more....and its excessive at times....theyre exceptionally reclusive.

Also, the males are not as vividly coloured as the females, which can be a bummer
males and females look identical...its only when the male matures that his look changes....and while not as striking, mms dont look all that bad.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
P. pulcher (I'd love to get one myself, but are a little hard to find)

B. albopilosum (who wouldn't want one, yeah they aren't that colorful, but they have a lot of character)

P. cancerides (very fast and defensive, but excellent eaters)

E. Sp. red (I always recommend this species, they are all around great tarantulas that walk around like royalty).

keks

Arachnobaron
My ideas too:
I could order three nice girls, I hope I can pick them up this weekend:
Brachypelma albopilosum Nicaragua 3 cm
Brachypelma emilia 2.5 cm
Grammostola pulchra 3.5 cm

(btw ... I got them... I got them .... I got them ... :):rolleyes:!!! I am sooo glad, I could jump to the ceiling :rofl:.)

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I think the OP already has a GBB and a A. versicolor. But you are absolutely right about the attributes if these species :D
Haha, oops. Sorry, there was a similar thread recently but the the guy was asking about the same Ts that were on this guys collection list...

To answer the OPs question...

I would suggest something E Murinis as you don't have a fossorial yet...

Casey K

Arachnoknight
OK. I only have NW terrestrials, so bear that in mind. Enjoying all of these so far:

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma emilia
Davus pentaloris
Euathlus Sp. red
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Lasiodora klugi
Nhandu tripepii
Pterinopelma sazimai

You can never go wrong with a pulchra!!! :)

aphono

Arachnobaron
polar opposites. Irminia is a very defensive t, cams are not like that....also where a cam hides less as it grows, an irminia hides more....and its excessive at times....theyre exceptionally reclusive.

males and females look identical...its only when the male matures that his look changes....and while not as striking, mms dont look all that bad.
Wow that's serious fuzz. Appreciate the info on differences, keeping irminia off the list.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Any suggestions on what to get next?
Well, since you're not sure which category you want, I'll nominate one for each.

Terrestrial
Grammostola pulchra: Sometimes affectionately referred to as the black lab of tarantulas, this species is generally easygoing and has gorgeous velvety black coloring. It can be a little expensive, but it's worth every penny.

Arboreal
Psalmopoeus cambridgei: A great all-around tarantula: good feeding response, fast growing, large with an athletic arboreal build, hardy, versatile, and inexpensive. As they get older, they tend to get bolder, so you will actually get to see them a lot (instead of the ghosts that some other species of Psalmopoeus can be). They lack urticating hairs, so you don't have to worry about your hands itching after doing cage maintenance or handling their molts. They are also good for gaining experience if you have an interest in getting into faster, more defensive Old World species.

Webber
Neoholothele incei (because you already have Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens): These are on my wishlist. A dwarf species, they don't take up much space, but they make up for that in a strong feeding response and heavy webbing. They lack urticating hairs, so you don't have to worry about your hands itching after doing cage maintenance or handling their molts.

Burrower
Aphonopelma seemanni: Said to be one of the more active beginner-friendly species.

Scolopendra1989

Arachnosquire
Well, I have to agree with the G. Pulchra but L. Parahybana could be interesting if you want that "huge freaky spider" aesthetic. Your collection so far looks nice as it can get

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
P.cambridgei is your best option, they are inexpensive and beautiful. Also, seeing as you only have experience with C.versicolor (arboreals) I would take the next step and try a more challenging arboreal species.

They can be hard to work with sometimes, but they typically aren't very defensive. My females are always out in the open, very bold spiders. P.cambridgei grow very fast as well and put on a lot of size from molt to molt, they are voracious eaters and don't spook easy like irminia.

It's a must for every collection, beautiful display species that gets quite large as adults. They are heavy webbers as well if that's something your looking for, all around great species to own.

Attachments