"newborn" feeding

complicz

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, i have my first breeding project on hands. Its about 70 P. lugardi slings. I searched the forum but didnt find an answer for mmy question, so here it is - when should i feed them?
They are already in 1st instar for a day or two. Also should i separate them already or keep them together for a while?
I was a little worried abou them, they took their time, cocoon was made at 4.september.
I guess because the temperature in my room is little lower.
Anyway thanks for answers in advance!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
They are best together till 2nd instar. Then you need to separate them or they may cannibalize.

complicz

Arachnopeon
Yeah i wan planning to do so. And about that feeding? I tought ill wait a few days and then try to feed them

boina

Lady of the mites
Yeah i wan planning to do so. And about that feeding? I tought ill wait a few days and then try to feed them
They don't eat yet, so don't do that. All the nourishment they need they get from egg yolk. Wait until they molted to 2i and look like real spiders with hair and all - then they can eat.

complicz

Arachnopeon
Oh my bad, they already are in that stage, hairy and spiderlike, i tought thats 1i.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Then separate and start feeding. Or they will start to feed on each other.

.. and congrats on the spiderlings ;)

cold blood

Staff member
While its normal for slings to recover quickly from molting, its my experience that that first molt to second instar is very extended. Often they won't eat for a week or even two....seems like closer to two weeks is more normal for me...even cambridgei took like 10 days to eat their first meals, then it was game on.

My ezendami slings took 2 to nearly 3 weeks for them all to begin eating.

complicz

Arachnopeon
thank you guys, its been a week after molt now, ill try to feed one. Im super excited of them :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Do what many people like @cold blood do and give them pieces of prey items to avoid issues with live prey fighting back. They will be large enough to eat live food soon enough.