xstrat7

Arachnopeon
Hi to All,
I'm new to the group and to raising Tarantulas.
I hope to learn alot and have this hobby spiral out
of control like all of my others. =D In the next week
I'm going to make my first purchase of T's. Any input
will be helpful. Glad to be part of the group.

Mark j.
Norfolk VA

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards Mark. There are many species that make great starter tarantulas. I'd choose an adult/subadult terrestrial that's affordable and easy to take care of such as G. rosea, B. albopilosum, E. campestratus or A. seemani. There are many others available that others will probably chime in with, but these seem to be readily available, very hardy and easy on the wallet. There's plenty of time to add the more advanced/expensive species (as well as spiderlings) later on.:)

xstrat7

Arachnopeon
Thanks Rob.
I looked around on your site very good info.
I'm not sure of what T I'm going to buy, doing my
research first. Then i will be diving in!:D

Mark j.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
welcome, and so nice to see you doing your research first :)
There's ALOT of info here, and if you can't find your answer with the search button, feel free to ask:D

xstrat7

Arachnopeon
Been looking at,

Nhandu coloratovillosus

Lasiodora cristatus

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Brachypelma smithi

Brachypelma boehmei

Any thoughts?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Out of those choices, B. smithi is probably the overall best choice for a first tarantula. They're extremely hardy and tolerant of dry conditions and are often calm enough to handle (if that's important to you). B. boehmei is just as hardy, but not as calm. Mine kick up so much hair that I'd get rid of the things if they weren't so good looking. Young B. smithi tend to be hair kickers too, but the boehmei are olympic level.

Nhandu and Lasiodora are generally pretty hardy and get large, but tend to be more nervous. If handling isn't important, they're good choices as well. Both are capable of being serious hair flickers.

Chromatopelma cyaneopuebescens has a reputation for being very sensitive to overly humid conditions. Many keepers recomend keeping them bone-dry without a water bowl. Animals with such requirements have a history of doing poorly at my house (since I have alot of other animals and conditions tend to be humid), so when I was given one I opted to keep her at my climate-controlled workplace. I've never tried to raise a spiderling of this species, but I think I read that they can be difficult to get to adulthood. I could be wrong about that, though.

Wade

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I agree with everything Wade said, with the exception of the C cyaneopubescens.
I've never had problems with this species, even from small spiderlings. He's right about the humidity though, so if you have a very humid climate, they might be more difficult.
It's humid here in Oregon, but indoors it's very dry due to the heating I use. I have almost the opposite problem, that is, in keeping humidity up in the moisture loving species.
The Nhandu and Lasiodora are very quick, nervous, and hair flickers...but like Wade said, if you don't plan on sticking your hand in the container, shouldn't be a problem. All species you listed are hardy, and very good eaters.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im a somewhat of a newby myself. Ive only started collecting T's less than two months ago but its seriously addicting. I already have (10) of them. Only three of them have any size(over 3 inches) but I actually get a kick out of watching my slings(spiderlings) feed and grow. As a matter of fact one of my newest additions is a 4 + inch Eupalaestrus Campestratus (Pink Zebra Beauty) I think It would be a great first "T". Shes very calm and a site to see. I have pictures but I cant get them to load (too big)

xstrat7

Arachnopeon
Well Wade is probably right about the C cyaneopubescens.
It looks like he lives only 100 miles from me. It is very humid
here in the summer. Also, I am not going to be holding these
Tarantulas. I will treat them like my saltwater fish, I never hold
them either. LOL

I tell you there are way to many to choose from and
the pokies look way cool. (I know not yet)

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
yea the lasiodora sp tend to move very very fast and love to show there threat display great eaters as well!

Iowa T Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I will have to chime in for the Brachy Smithi. Mine has never kicked so much as a hair at me and I reach into her cage all the time to fill water and feed ect. They are beautiful and calm. Great starter it was my first and is still my fav

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. Auerostriata?

IMO the best ALL-Around Spider you can get.

Grows large (7.5in +)

VERY Docile

Beutifull colors.

fresh after a molt, they even have purples and greens around their eye area.

plus, its only like 60-70 bucks for a nice sized female.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lasiodora cristatus would be a great T. I am a newbie at keeping T.s as well I have a female around 4 to 5 inches and she is just awsome...she is my pride and joy...nice colour and a great eater..

Good Luck with whatever you decide !!

Regards, Mike Hunt
:p

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I just picked up a full grown WC female G areostriatum at the show for $45. Docile as can be, very pretty too. You can't go wrong with these either :)

burnpile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by xstrat7
Well Wade is probably right about the C cyaneopubescens.
It looks like he lives only 100 miles from me. )
The SpiderHouse (<<----LINK) is also pretty close to you, (it's in Stafford). May be worth a drive up there if you're buying some critters.

xstrat7

Arachnopeon
Thanks Burnpile,

I just might go up and check the place out.
I wonder if there is a seller in the Tidewater area?

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Spiderhouse is going out of business but I am sure he probably has some beginner Ts. The best spieces for beginners are Brachy ,Grammostola,Avics (aboreal), Apholema (sp?) E.Camperstratus,GBB

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've heard "Chacos" are really good to keep. I only have a sling now so I don't know for sure. Wade, does keeping things dry
also apply to a GBB sling maybe 1/2 to 3/4 " in size? It is such a pretty little thing, looks like the slings people have posted on here. My B. smithi is a nice little guy. He is skittish compared to the female I had years ago, but she was quite old. I can pick him up and hold him if I want, but I don't do that too often because I worry he could decide to make a run for it and get hurt. I think an older close to adult juvenile or adult B. smithi would be different.
They are just so good looking and get their good looks early it seems. Don't require much from you either to thrive.

Sharon

spyder7697

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Deffinatly props to you for being someone who does the research before going out and getting the firs T that is available that says a lot about you. Good luck. Welcome to the boards. Just be careful these T's...They're ADDICTIVE!!! starts with one and the next thing you know you have a room dedicated to your little and in some cases big friends.
Ski-Ya Laterz
Russ