1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie with lots of questions! (B. klaasi possibly)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Mithricat, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Mithricat

Mithricat Arachnopeon Active Member

Greece
    Advertisement
    She's definitely not skinny but come on, she's been with me for almost two months now and she hasn't eaten a thing. I thought Brachypelmas weren't the kind to fast so much...

And ignoring live pray in her burrow? That's... just wrong... :muted:

2. boina

boina Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Brachypelmas don't fast long??? Tell that to my B. emilia who's been fasting for more than a year by now... Brachypelmas are not the most voracious tarantulas there are.

And of course they ignore live prey, even in there burrow. That's not wrong, that's normal, and the reason why you should take it out again after a day or so if it isn't eaten.

3. Mithricat

Greece
    Maybe I should starve her then :D

But seriously, that's one of the reasons I don't feed crickets, roaches are very very very unlikely to attack the tarantula if accidentally left in.

I'm lucky it's a Brachypelma sling... I can't imagine how I'd ever take the roach out if this were a Poecilotheria or an OBT enclosure :blackeye::hurting:

I'll try to take some better photos with a real camera, these truly are horrible and you can't see any of the colors properly...

4. Mithricat

Greece
    Update
    She (hoping it's a she) has buried herself in her burrow since my last post. I got worried and opened the entrance (where she had piled A LOT of substrate). Interestingly I found the remnants of 5 legs (could be 4 legs and a pedipalp). It might be remnants from the last molt or she possibly molted again(?). That would certainly explain why she didn't eat last time. Using the tweezers I opened a tiny hole, enough to see inside without disturbing her a lot and she appears to be fine and fat.

Surely she must eat at some point? It's a sling, it can't possibly keep molting with whatever meal she had since two instars ago...

The B. lateralis I was given when I bought her are probably too big for her now. I will try a small dubia in a week or so.

5. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoknight Active Member

Sorry, but you really shouldn't have done that! If she burries herself, it's literally and actually a "DO NOT DISTURB!" sign. She will come out, when she's ready ... whether she moulted in the meantime or not. Just leave her be and wait with the feeding until she's out again. Even better, wait a few days after she opened up her burrow to make sure she has hardened up after a possible moult.

6. Mithricat

Greece
    She came out today! I caught a glimpse but when I approached she went immediately back under her cork bark. She looked bigger so after gently lifting the cork bark with the tongs I was able to see and remove a molt!

This is the second time she has molted, last one was in February. Two molts within two months and without eating a single meal since I got her in January! I didn't expect she had the energy to molt a second time without feeding but apparently I was wrong! She has grown a lot too, she definitely grew more than ¼ inch in leg span since her last molt and more than doubled her size since January! :D:D:D

Will post pics when she gets out again (hopefully soon, I really doubt she has the strength to do another consecutive molt without eating)

• Like Like x 1
  7. scott99

scott99 Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    Well it looks like you're off to a good, welcome to the hobby. When it come to roaches you might want to give it some more thought. Roaches are much better than crickets, they don't smell, their more nutritious and their easier to cultural. Do some more research on it before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

8. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnoknight Active Member

I'm just going to answer the most problematic things I saw from skimming this thread. You do not want any type of lights on your T (they like darkness), you do not want to handle your Ts, and if you aren't able to feed roaches OR crickets then you probably shouldn't get a T (not all Ts will eat mealworms, if you can find some other alternatives so you can feed slings and picky eaters then go ahead).