Newbie with a A.Seemanni

ALD

Arachnopeon
Hey there. Nice to meet whoever can help. So I went to Petco last Sunday and brought a A. Seemanni as they said. Not sure it's size or sex just yet. Picture below it was in a betta cup so I'm pretty sure it's a juvenile. So I noticed when I got it from the store how the abdomen is. Is this possible premolt? Hasn't eaten since I got it. Does roam the tank cralwed the sides fell a few times trying but has for the most part just been laying around. Offered it crickets and superworms but to no efeffe. Can I get anybody's thought? Thanks

Attachments

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I would add more substrate this species loves to dig.
I would also change out the hide for something partially buried, again they like to burrow.

Edit: probably not pre moult, they are skittish and kick quite a bit.

ALD

Arachnopeon
It's a 10 gallon tank and it's half full I have another brick of the Eco earth. I went half way so it wasn't at the top of the tank.

Ok I just wanted to make sure just gotta see when it feels like eating

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
So backing up to the original question your tarantula is a member of a species which have urticaring hairs. These are a defense mechanism that most new world terrerestrial tarantulas possess. NW tarantulas are native to the Americas. If you look at a urticating hair under a microscope it’s barbed. It sticks into the skin and is incredibly itchy and irritating. The hairs are kicked off the abdomen with the rear legs. Your tarantula has kicked hair enough to make a bald spot. It’s completely normal for hair kickers to have a bald spot some more often than others depending on temperament.

That bald spot is going to be your helper for a bit. As a tarantula gets closer to molting it darkens in color. The bald spot on yours is light colored so I would say it isn’t premolt. Most likely it needs some time to settle in. They don’t especially care for car rides. When I bring home or rehouse a tarantula I generally give them a week to get comfy before I try to feed them. Your tarantula looks well fed and hydrated.

I would also add more substrate as suggested above. I would actually probably add more and partially bury the hide. All of my NW terrestrials at that size preferred a tighter space and the option to dig a nice little burrow if they were so inclined.

One last note on urticating hairs: they ITCH. A lot. That goes on a long list of reasons why handling isn’t a good idea if that’s a consideration.

ALD

Arachnopeon
Yea I've done my research on NW and OW, and the itching hairs lol. I just wanted to make sure it was ok due to the fact that it was it was most of the abdomen bald. Any pictures Ive seen have only had the very end bald. bald when or how Petco had it( guess it was getting moved alot due to it being bald) or when it was fed.

As far as adding more sub I'll take everything out add the last block because it's 2 in there now, compact it and dig the hide a little lower and add it back in.

But once I get in the swing of things I want to try and grab a GBB (girlfriend wants to actually see it went up to the tank) and possibly a Brazilian Black.

So hopefully after a while it will get more relaxed and dig into these superworms I've been feeding

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
In still dubious, this species practically lives like a fossorial.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
The tank is honestly pretty huge for an A. seemani, I'd recommend a Kritter Keeper (mine is in a medium one and thrives). If you're going to keep it in there I'd recommend like 4 more inches of sub, these guys like to burrow. The sticks and stuff are pretty unnecessary, I'd take them out but its not like you have to. They're pretty skittish so when you feed be slow getting into the tank so you don't spook it.

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
I honestly couldn't tell you. Mine hasn't been eating for 2 months, and she is missing about the same amount of hair. She could be in premolt. At the same time, she could just be refusing to eat. I just leave her be and let her do her tarantula thang. This species seems to be great at being a pet rock, so it is hard to tell from the energy levels.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Sorry about that. I overhelp a lot. GBB are great tarantulas but definitely not pet rocks. I am currently having a running issue with water dishes with mine where she believes that all such items should belong to her. I usually draw the line around a half dozen and start stealing them back but this round of the game she’s feeling a little crowded by the tongs and has reminded me that the species can move pretty quick. In general I find the whole routine very amusing.

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
With the seemani I use reptisoil as substrate and make it at least 4 inches deep I start a burrow for them and place cork bark to bottom of tank over hole the love to burrow. Next I add water dish and only moisten tank near water dish leaving their hole half dry. They love crickets and once every 3 months I feed them a pinky mouse and often dubias my female will often go a while without eating just for no reason but then will come out when hungry so I wouldn’t be too worried here are some of my setups for them just start small burrow with your fingers they’ll do the rest.

Attachments

ALD

Arachnopeon
ill remake the tank tonight when i get home from work. see if i can make a peep hole somehow so i dont miss anything lol. the only reason why i make the hide so big was to avoid re doing it once it got larger

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
If you set it towards back glass and hand start burrow it’ll make nice pocket in back corner so you can still view it they are some odd birds but a beautiful species.

ALD

Arachnopeon
yea that was my original setup but it never went to the burrow it stayed out in the open lol ill try it again

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
I highly recommend reptosoil but that’s just what I’ve had success with substrate is surely dependent on keeper and there are many good examples in forums here in fact you should check the black earth substrate forum on this site I got some good ideas all around and a few I plan on trying as well :)

ALD

Arachnopeon
By the time I get off of work, the pet store will be closed so Ill have to try and do it on my next day off possibly. but ive see people say topsoil regular dirt a mixture so who know. I dont want to constantly disturb it to the point where it hates people lol

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
This is true and every T is different so what’s good for one another may hate lol good luck though and def post pics once you get it up and running.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yea I've done my research on NW and OW, and the itching hairs lol. I just wanted to make sure it was ok due to the fact that it was it was most of the abdomen bald. Any pictures Ive seen have only had the very end bald. bald when or how Petco had it( guess it was getting moved alot due to it being bald) or when it was fed.

As far as adding more sub I'll take everything out add the last block because it's 2 in there now, compact it and dig the hide a little lower and add it back in.

But once I get in the swing of things I want to try and grab a GBB (girlfriend wants to actually see it went up to the tank) and possibly a Brazilian Black.

So hopefully after a while it will get more relaxed and dig into these superworms I've been feeding
I had about 5 inches for mine. Give her that much and stand back .
Mine made the best burrow system.

By the time I get off of work, the pet store will be closed so Ill have to try and do it on my next day off possibly. but ive see people say topsoil regular dirt a mixture so who know. I dont want to constantly disturb it to the point where it hates people lol
Regarding 'hating people,' technically spids can't hate or love. Their neuron/brain doesn't have that groove;). This species is lively, and they're quick. Wouldn't handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALD

Arachnopeon
lol not so much as hating but even more skittish than what they are lol

Last edited: