Newbie trying to learn

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for all of your advice/tellings off Vanisher you have been truly a godsend! One more question for you. He’s only had water from dishes in the last 7 days due to all the stress of shipping and the poor ‘enclosure’ I gave him first off and I’m wondering how long is best to be leaving before attempting to give him a meal now? He still has a water dish to help him hydrate whilst he settles in. Thank you once again, Ross.
Based on the picture in your first post and in the most recent picture you provided, your tarantula is in late premolt. So it would be best not to offer food (especially anything alive) until after it molts. I assure you, they can survive months or longer without food, so don't worry that it's not eating. If you're truly worried, you can offer something prekilled, but I suspect it won't take it.

Ross Nation

Arachnopeon
Based on the picture in your first post and in the most recent picture you provided, your tarantula is in late premolt. So it would be best not to offer food (especially anything alive) until after it molts. I assure you, they can survive months or longer without food, so don't worry that it's not eating. If you're truly worried, you can offer something prekilled, but I suspect it won't take it.
Hi Pidderpeets, I’ve also noticed in person it’s legs are white and the carapace has black spots, They should be bright orange, so like you said It’s probably in the premoult. If it’s best not to offer it food I won’t. It has a full water dish which I will top up when required I just want the poor thing to settle now and be calm ready for the moult, so it goes well with no dramas. But I must say I’m really relieved knowing that it’s in a better enclosure and is safer. Thank you for your comment, Ross.

Ross Nation

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

Here’s an update on Nigel for you all.

Mr Vanisher as you said he has stopped roaming so much! He does wonder every now and again but he mostly stays put. I haven’t tried to feed him as many commenters have me informed me he’s (or she’s) could be in premoult, so I got this picture for a better look. His legs really have gone white, his carapace has several dark black spots on it and finally the abdomen looks to be blackening up. He does have a full water dish which I renew every two days to keep the water fresh. I have noticed he doesn’t like to use his hide very much, but I guess when you look as awesome as he does why hide?! ;)

So naturally being my first possible moult situation I must ask how long does/ could the premoult period last usually for a Brachypelma species T? (Understanding there is no set time scale and it will vary)

Secondly would a rehouse be in order as he would be bigger or is the current enclosure ok?

Finally I’m very pleased to announce that Nigel’s old enclosure.. after the stress of getting Nige sorted and settled, Has met the ‘hammer of righteousness’ and will not be a risk to any future Ts I wish to get!

Bringing it to a close now I would like to thank everyone who’s commented and posted advice for the help I really appreciate it and I look forward to future updates on Nigel and having tarantula filled discussions and learning with you all in the future.

Regards, Ross.

Attachments