Newbie Questions: Am I over thinking temperature and humidity?

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
I understand things like picking the proper cage size, feeding, substrate, etc.

What I still for some reason don't get is how to keep the enclosure at the right temperature and at the right humidity. I'm not about to heat an entire room in my home to 80* and/or humidify the entire room. Am I expected to experiment with the right daily misting to keep the enclosure humid? Is the water bowl going to keep it humid enough for me? Am I to use a heading pad on the bottom? On the backside? A heating lamp? Are there heating elements out there with an automatic thermostat?

Thanks. This confusion is really the only thing keeping me from getting my first!

P.S. Considering either the Lasiodora parahybana or the Grammostola pulchripes.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, you're over-thinking those things in regards to those species.

They don't need 80 degree temps or high humidity. You don't need any of that crap you mentioned, aside from a water bowl...

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
Yes, you are over-thinking.
Just keep the T's at room temp and keep the water dish full. If you want higher humidity, just overflow the water dish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, you are over-thinking.
Just keep the T's at room temp and keep the water dish full. If you want higher humidity, just overflow the water dish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
You are certainly overthinking this one, especially considering the species or t's you are looking at getting. Neither require any heat, provided their temps don't fall into the low 60"s for too long. Also neither require any special attention to humidity other that the aforementioned water dish. There's no need to even own a mister in fact.

As a general rule, if you are comfortable in the house, the t's will be as well.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Water bowl and room temperature (from 50 degrees to high 90's, low 100's), and that's you, done.

Saark

Arachnosquire
I went nuts with my T. stirmi, automated humidity (84%) and temperature (85 with 9 degree temp drop at night) controlled with lights, Repti-fogger and Hygro-Therm to control it all, live plants etc. My other T's just live in the room they are in with water bowls and weekly enclosure mistings. So far, all seem to be doing well.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I went nuts with my T. stirmi, automated humidity (84%) and temperature (85 with 9 degree temp drop at night) controlled with lights, Repti-fogger and Hygro-Therm to control it all, live plants etc.
Those things aren't requirements for keeping T. stirmi though. Besides, keeping everything micro-managed down to the humidity percentage and temperature degree with daily consistency isn't so natural. Those factors would normally vary from day to day or even hour to hour, but it's not like the HygroTherm is very accurate anyhow. But such purchases do make Zoo Med happy.

Saark

Arachnosquire
They may not be requirements but they do help to maintain a more natural environment for the T which I gotta believe makes for a more happy, healthy animal. There is actually a bit of variance from day to day and sometimes, I let the humidity drop a bit, other times I alter day and night time temps. Besides, it makes me happy and I could afford the equipment. She probably doesn't "require" a 50 gallon aquarium with live plants and a population of isopods living in the substrate either but it makes me happy knowing I'm giving her the best place to live that I can. I guess, ultimately, that's the most important to me, that my critters are as comfortable as I can make them.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good grief! A 50 gallon aquarium? Do you ever see her? That's a lot of space even for a large tarantula. Does she wander around the entire enclosure or does she stay in one spot most of the time? Does food get lost in all that space? I'm not criticizing, I'd just love to see this set up!

Saark

Arachnosquire
Just out of curiosity, why does the stirmi get all that "comfort" while your other spiders don't?
A lot of it came out of my concern from all I read about how they are a more sensitive species with higher than usual humidity and heat requirements when compared to other species. My other Ts are quite comfortable as well but some are scrubland/dry area type T's so they don't need the humidity. Also, more than half of my collection are slings/juveniles so they aren't in their forever homes yet.

Saark

Arachnosquire
Good grief! A 50 gallon aquarium? Do you ever see her? That's a lot of space even for a large tarantula. Does she wander around the entire enclosure or does she stay in one spot most of the time? Does food get lost in all that space? I'm not criticizing, I'd just love to see this set up!
Actually, she does spend a lot of time in her burrow but she does come out pretty regularly (if not often). She usually comes out the front of her burrow, on the right side of the photo, slowly makes her way along the front and then cuts to the back on the left side and then goes back in her burrow through the back entrance. She's big, beautiful and really healthy looking with a great appetite so the set up must be working :) There are a few juvenile dubias in there as well that seem quite happy and will one day serve as an extra meal or two. I guess a female managed to successfully drop some young in there at some point. With the plants growing, reseeding and dying back, there's always decaying plant matter in there for them and the isopods to eat. I've had the tank for over two years and have never cleaned it, apart from pulling a big dead leaf out from time to time and it smells as fresh and clean as the day I set it up. Those isopods really do a great job of cleaning up the roach bits. They even hang out under the mat of webbing in the burrow so that area stays clean too. Anyhow, here's a quick pic. And yeah, I think I need to reign in the broadleaf plants a little. I started with one and it flowered and apparently is quite capable of self-fertilization because they keep popping up all over the tank. Oh and sorrry about the reflection. I had a window right behind me.

edit: About the food, I typically introduce it right at the mouth of her burrow. She nails the roaches as soon as they move.

Oh, and here's a short, unedited video of her out for a walk during the day which was a real treat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpBZu2fVTB4

20140619_130825.jpg

Here's a couple of her out and about from February.
20140223_200655sm.jpg

20140223_200142sm.jpg

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is an impressive set up! Do you have it somewhere in your house as a display?

I'd like to have a nice display enclosure for some of mine, but my set ups are utilitarian at best. Seems like every time I try to make a nicer set up, the tarantula overrules me.

Saark

Arachnosquire
Thanks :) I have it in my tarantula room which is supposed to be my computer room/place where I do my stuff. I'd love to have it out in the living room but the only free wall space is taken up by a 65 gallon aquarium which is tropical FW at the moment but I one day hope to do a marine tank.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A lot of it came out of my concern from all I read about how they are a more sensitive species with higher than usual humidity and heat requirements when compared to other species.
depending on what their other Ts are the strimi might be the only care sensitive one
That's crap. They aren't really that "care-sensitive". That's just another old myth that needs to be dispelled. The most "difficult" tarantulas are still easier to care for/maintain than any reptile, hamsters, even some plants, etc.

Moist-to-the-touch substrate, partially restricted ventilation, room temps. Simple.

Earthtojessy

Arachnopeon
She probably doesn't "require" a 50 gallon aquarium with live plants and a population of isopods living in the substrate either but it makes me happy knowing I'm giving her the best place to live that I can.

I realize this feed is more about temp/humidity but.......

I have been looking into a similar "bio active" set up for my B. Smithi. I was concerned the isopods and spring tails may disturb her during molting, especially since she is still young (2.5 years).. Have you had any concerns/issues with this? Any pros or cons to voice? I have a bio active set up with live plants and such for my ball python and she seems very happy and healthy.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
A good rule of thumb when it comes to those topics is to assume that they can withstand the environment that you are able to withstand urself. If you can stay in the room where your Ts are located for long periods if time with just your ordinary clothing and find urself comfortable,then chances are,with most species(like the ones you have),they will be too.

boina

Lady of the mites
Oh no, please don't do a bioactive set up for your B. smithy! You already live in Florida, in an environment with high humidity. B. smithy is an arid species. Put her in a biactive enclosure with all the moisture the isopods and springtails and plants require and you very likely won't have her for too long. A B. smithy that survives a moist enclosure in Florida will be a rare exception. I really, really, really hope you keep your spider on DRY substrate, like in bone dry, since you are in a high humidity environment to begin with?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
She probably doesn't "require" a 50 gallon aquarium with live plants and a population of isopods living in the substrate either but it makes me happy knowing I'm giving her the best place to live that I can.

I realize this feed is more about temp/humidity but.......

I have been looking into a similar "bio active" set up for my B. Smithi. I was concerned the isopods and spring tails may disturb her during molting, especially since she is still young (2.5 years).. Have you had any concerns/issues with this? Any pros or cons to voice? I have a bio active set up with live plants and such for my ball python and she seems very happy and healthy.
I wouldn't create a bioactive viv for a B.smithi, since this species likes it very dry.
Species that need a bit of humidity could be added, like A.geniculata, L.parahybana. But there's always a chance that the spider will web up, destroy and uproot your carefully planted vivarium. ;)