Newbie Question Asian Black Forest

Chuck131

Arachnopeon
When I bought my 3 baby Asian Forest Scorpions the dude at the pet store recommended Jungle Mix. Should I change it out and use Eco Earth instead? I have a feeling that the Jungle Mix might draw mites. Thanks for any help on this. :confused:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Most people use eco earth... i do, i use it mixed with a little sand with a few cork hides 20170818_172655.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Aren't they the same thing? Eco earth attracts harmless slime mold like flies to you-know-what.

I like peat moss.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Once there of course but in order for it to get there.. it would have to be caused usually by too much moisture.... I've used it for all my humidity needing sp. With very little issue... the only problem ive ever had was female crickets laying eggs and waking up to crazy loads of pinheads infesting the enclosure lolol

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Once there of course but in order for it to get there.. it would have to be caused usually by too much moisture.... I've used it for all my humidity needing sp. With very little issue... the only problem ive ever had was female crickets laying eggs and waking up to crazy loads of pinheads infesting the enclosure lolol
So have i. Even in high vent and lower humidity cages, I got it. 1508038734708-1257961531.jpg
Unavoidable ime. I don't really use the stuff anymore. There's cheaper substrates that don't mold naturally, and look more natural.

Then again, I have very damp cages with perpetually wet substrate, and haven't ever seen that mold.

Chuck131

Arachnopeon
Aren't they the same thing? Eco earth attracts harmless slime mold like flies to you-know-what.

I like peat moss.
The Jungle Mix is mostly Sphagnum Peat Moss with Fir Bark bits in and no Coco Fiber. The dude at the pet store did tell me it resists mold.
Since I am new to this I am just worried about my little babies, I already love them very much.
I already had an issue with a contaminated piece of cork bark, it had mites.
I threw all the cork bark away and took an inch of bedding off and replaced it. I do not see anymore mites, got it just in time.
I made hides out of plastic aspirin bottles, cleaned and sterilized the bottles.
Dang it, I really wish I could post my pic's my PC will not recognize my Android phone, going to try and figure that out today.
I have 3 babies and each has its own 10 gallon tank with a small Zoo Med heat pad on one side of each tank.
Each tank has 3 inches of Jungle Mix bedding with a hide on each side and an artificial plant in middle against back glass.
Temperature stays around 82 degrees F and humidity stays around 70% in each tank.
I stir up their bedding and mist each tank every morning.
I plan on building a very large colony tank in the future, I want my Scorpions to be very happy.
Oh I used the lids of the aspirin bottles for their water dish.

Thanks for your posts. :)

Kjoygray

Arachnopeon
Mites aren't a big deal unless you start seeing a ton of them, springtails or some some other tank cleaner will help prevent them (they compete for the same food source). The type of substrate won't make a difference with them so much as keeping the tank free of rotting material (dead feeders etc.)

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
When you say "babies" are you referring to actual slings or are they adults?

Regardless of size, they require several inches of substrate to properly burrow into.

Chuck131

Arachnopeon
When you say "babies" are you referring to actual slings or are they adults?

Regardless of size, they require several inches of substrate to properly burrow into.
They were born on 7/9/17 and 5/8 of an inch long.
They do not burrow much they just stay in their little hide.
3 to 4 inches of loose substrate is recommended for Asian Black, I have 3 inches of substrate.
I just spent 2 hours trying to get my phone to work on my windows 7 pc with no luck so I can post pic's.
I think I am just going to buy a digital camera, I hate this so called smart phone.

Last edited:

Chuck131

Arachnopeon
You can upload images from your phone directly to the site.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. When I connect my Android via USB I get a windows error saying

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it.

Anyway I decided to send the pic to my email and download it from there,
here it is. More pics coming today.:);)

Attachments

Last edited: