Newbie got my first scare

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From the tarantula keepers guide (Pg. 191...also a reference on pg.205). Also got it from many videos from youtube demonstrating with straws, paint brushes, etc. that even the most docile T can strike when least expected...so use the paint brush to gently stroke the rear or side of the tarantula..if it is okay it will move in the direction being manipulated. If it is saying hell no not right now it will run, flick setae (New worlds only of course),bite, or turn to face the percieved threat. Basically always better to approach your T with an inanimate object first because better that than your finger if it reacts.
Umm... you should NEVER approach a T with your fingers?!

My point is that "testing the temperament" first by poking at the animal seems counter productive to me. When I do rehousings, my goal is to get the T into a catch cup before it really knows what is going on.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
My point is that "testing the temperament" first by poking at the animal seems counter productive to me. When I do rehousings, my goal is to get the T into a catch cup before it really knows what is going on.
I do the same thing. The longer you spend poking and prodding an animal the angrier its going to be. I think that's part of where old worlds get their reputation. "This heres an old world spider, one of the angriest in the world. One bite and it could put me in the hospital, I'm gonna poke it with these tongs. IT'S ANGRY!"

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I do the same thing. The longer you spend poking and prodding an animal the angrier its going to be. I think that's part of where old worlds get their reputation. "This heres an old world spider, one of the angriest in the world. One bite and it could put me in the hospital, I'm gonna poke it with these tongs. IT'S ANGRY!"
Or they give a burrower an inch of substrate in a sterelite container, then rip the lid (top of their burrow) off and get a threat display. And then they say "look how aggressive this spider is!".

PeteParker240

Arachnopeon
Umm... you should NEVER approach a T with your fingers?!

That make sense. I thought that too. And especially when most stories about escapes/attempted escapes start with "I was prodding my T when..". My A. Versicolor...I feel like I would be creating the escape route with a paintbrush.

I'm learning and I think open enclosure and get them in the cup immediately sounds like a great idea as opposed to guiding them into the cup. Thanks for the info. I question some of the things I read and see because I think everyone agrees that there is a lot to learn about these wonderful creatures. But I also know I don't know squat, lol...so I am taking it all in and using what seems most sensible.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That make sense. I thought that too. And especially when most stories about escapes/attempted escapes start with "I was prodding my T when..". My A. Versicolor...I feel like I would be creating the escape route with a paintbrush.

I'm learning and I think open enclosure and get them in the cup immediately sounds like a great idea as opposed to guiding them into the cup. Thanks for the info. I question some of the things I read and see because I think everyone agrees that there is a lot to learn about these wonderful creatures. But I also know I don't know squat, lol...so I am taking it all in and using what seems most sensible.
It's great that you are learning and checking multiple sources for information. This forum is full of knowledgeable people who won't beat around the bush, so you'll have no trouble discerning if advice you got somewhere else is good or bad lol

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Most pets are more complicated than T's
The care is more complicated however tarantula breeding is much much harder . And they are complex for spiders , but anceeint. Prob was a 5-10 foot spider during the age when trees ruled the earth. Mankind cut down so many trees bugs keep getting smaller!!!!
:greedy::beaver: Lower oxygen levels or something?

No T wil not bite or have mood swings. However people who handle them often get bitten thinking oh it’s docile.:hurting: