1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie at being a Tarantula slave

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Renna, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Renna

Renna Arachnopeon

Oregon
    Advertisement
    We are getting our new masters next week. Any advice would be appreciated.
    We are getting a curly hair sling at 3/4. And a Gbb at 1 in. We currently have a jumping spider and a wolf spider.
    We would appreciate advice on housing and feeding. We feed jumpy fruit flys and wolfy is picky. She will only eat flys. I was thinking gumball containers with som modifications would do well for both. Most things I have seen use deli containers. What is your experience with these containers and spider masters?

2. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

Both species will eat small crickets. I'd keep both species in 16oz deli cups, they'll want more width than height (especially the Brachy). Some people keep GBB semi-arboreally which is up to you I have 5 GBB slings in tall pill containers but they'll be kept terrestrially when put into their next enclosures because I feel its the most appropriate. I will make sure there is some height though like the dimensions of a 10 gallon are good for an adult female so size that down basically for smaller specimens. Keep both on dry substrate, coco fiber works best imo I keep all 50+ of my Ts on it.

3. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

• Like Like x 3
  4. Renna

Renna Arachnopeon

Oregon
    Ok perfect. I have coco sup and was going to get moss for around the water dish. I use pill bottle lids. For the water they work well for the spiders we currently have.
    Thank you I really appreciate your advice. It gets very confusing fast.

Andrea82
    yes I totally expect that. The wolf spider hides from us. If she could she would flick hairs. Very picky on food and her housing. The jumping spider is totally different. He got out of his enclosure and sat on top waiting to be let back in. Yes we fixed the enclosure. We have goggles and gloves for the hair flicks. We just want to watch them and not handle. My husband likes to watch them eat. He feeds wild spiders to watch them. We got the native spiders to see if it’s something we would like. If not they can just be returned to there native habitat. Turns out we love it.
    I have been pouring over that page. And all the information.
    Again thank you. I sincerely appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

The hairs on the species you have picked aren’t all that bad I understand taking precautions but in reality the goggles would only be needed if you have you’re face in the enclosure and gloves are a good idea if cleaning out an old new world enclosure as there will be hairs in the substrate but otherwise it’s best to use long tweezers in maintenance if you’re T wanted they could probably pierce gloves depending on size of T and thickness of gloves and using tongs you’re not going to disturb you’re T as much. Good luck and there some great species to start with GBBs make some amazing webs and B Albo’s are just the fluffiest ever

• Like Like x 1
  6. Renna

Renna Arachnopeon

Oregon
    Andrew Clayton
    Yes we have the long tweezers. I’m really sensitive to skin irritations so im being over cautious. I have to wear gloves to cut up a jalapeño or it burns for a day. Lol gloves are for the hairs nothing else. I’m very excited about getting them though they are my husbands birthday gift. I have been pouring over information. I can’t wait to get them.
    Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  7. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

No this isn't true. You are crazy if you think this regardless of any observations you may have to reply with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Renna

Renna Arachnopeon

Oregon
    Viper69 well we have put other insects in with her. She prefers the flys and ate a moth last night. I know they eat anything but she seems to prefer winged things or prefers the chase. We leave them in with her over night because she will only eat when it’s dark and quiet. We usually put them in at ten pm and my husband takes them out at 330am. She ran from the grasshopper so we removed him. She is very reclusive. And honestly there is little information on them as a pet. If you have more info I’m happy to learn. I’m completely new to owning spiders.

9. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I like feeding buffaloworms to slings

10. Renna

Renna Arachnopeon

Oregon
    I will look this up. Sounds interesting.

11. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Yes, they look like very small mealworms!

12. Renna

Renna Arachnopeon

Oregon
    Do you breed yours? Or buy?

13. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Mark (Or Luke, Matthew, whatever) my words: stick to crickets as feeders, and you can't go wrong, because crickets are 101% natural steroids for arachnids :pompous:

Now you can 'Like' this comment that given to you a bit of @Chris LXXIX Extreme Wisdom for free. Isn't this awesome?

:pompous: :pompous: <-- Double Impact 'Pompous' rating feat. Negroni cocktail

• Like Like x 1
  14. Renna

Renna Arachnopeon

Oregon
    Thank you. I am trying to find a source of food that’s easy to grow but not a problem if they get out or stink to bad. I live in an area that has limited options. Pet stores don’t always have feeders or we have to go 50 min away to get some from a different town. Wether can cause issues summer and winter. I have read you can put the buffalo worms with crickets to control nastiness.

15. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Crickets (IMO) are a pain to grow and breed and they stink and etc, honestly - but I love their 'chants' and smell so for me isn't a 'Cons' at all :kiss:

Plus, here in Italy, they are cheap as heck, ih ih :)

Thing is, they are the best prey for T's, really, I'm not kidding you Renna.

I've witnessed in those last 25 years a lot of various T's species (especially arboreals) act choosy as heck (when hungry, obviously) in regards of roaches like B.dubia etc, but never, in front of a wandering cricket.

Crickets, when it comes to arachnids, it's like having a gym where you can offer for free steroids without legal issues. Thing is, I know, they smell and they cannibalize each other (if a water source isn't present) plus maybe in the U.S, online, they may cost more than here but they are gold :)

16. Renna

Renna Arachnopeon

Oregon
    Well it gets so hot in the summer and cold in the winter, that getting live ones from the mail is not likely. 110 in the summer and it is usually 20 in the winter. I am also trying to get smaller ones for our jumping spider and wolf spider. I was thinking a small colony would help ensure we have food all year round.
    Thank you I really appreciate appreciate your advice.

• Love Love x 1