1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York millipedes?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Elleken, May 1, 2009.

1. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Advertisement
    So I went out bug/spider hunting today and found some pretty large millipedes. They seem to be dark purple with red in between their segments. I know they are fairly common just wanted to know what the species may be and if anyone would be interested in them. Also found plenty of what i assume to be another species of millipedes. They were flatter with less legs and yellow between their segments.

2. Rick McJimsey

Rick McJimsey Arachnoprince

The latter sp. might be Apheloria sp., maybe virginiensis

3. Miss Bianca

Miss Bianca Arachnoprince

4. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
  5. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    About an hour south from syracuse. Cortland... if you know where that is haha.

6. pouchedrat

pouchedrat Arachnolord

MD
    I do (grew up in central/upstate NY, about 45 minutes from Syracuse). I was completely unaware they that species of millipede there in NY! I used to search for inverts constantly as a kid and even this past week while on vacation up there I was turning over logs and such and seeing what I could find (just a TON of isopods, one small centipede, and some eggsac of some sort).

That's really awesome though.. There WERE a mess of baby millipedes of some unknown species that were all either in the middle of molts, or ending them, so I didn't want to disturb them but more than likely they were those tiny black ones.

7. Rick McJimsey

Rick McJimsey Arachnoprince

Sound right for the 2nd species?

8. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Yea that would be it for the second species as well. I only started noticing them about a year ago. As far as the first species goes for finding them.. me and my dad split wood at the end of the summer for the house so we find tons of them. I mean tons! I just went out to the wood pile and flipped some bark over and found one so I figured I'd ask about it finally. As far as inverts go here though other than these its pretty lame collecting here.

9. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Figured I'd take some pictures to be sure.

First one I was talking about.
    [​IMG]

Second species I was talking about.
    [​IMG]

What I assume to be the second species again only this time a lighter color?
    [​IMG]