New world terrestrial best for beginners

dianemarie

Arachnopeon
I have 3 tarantulas one a.avicularia 5 inch, one a.avicularia sling, and a C.cyaneopubescens sling, would like to get terrestrial new world. I like watching them so webbers, even fossorial to see them dig tunnels. Any recommendations?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Sounds like you could use some Neoholothele incei. Heavy webbers and occasionally diggers, on the small side but have voracious appetites, lack urticating setae, and come in two gorgeous color forms - gold and olive.

dianemarie

Arachnopeon
Aphonopelma chalcodes are a blast to watch burrow throughout their enclosures. Love them.
Ty yes that looks like a good one for me

Sounds like you could use some Neoholothele incei. Heavy webbers and occasionally diggers, on the small side but have voracious appetites, lack urticating setae, and come in two gorgeous color forms - gold and olive.

I love the webbing and that looks like a good choice for me ty

Last edited by a moderator:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I love the webbing and that looks like a good choice for me ty
Most wouldn't recommend N. incei for a beginner they're really fast, more so than the GBB. And the GBB is a new world terrestrial as well...

I'd recommend Brachypelma, Phormictopus, or Pamphobeteus if you've kept a few Ts already and know somewhat what you're going.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Better webbers than C. cyaneopubescense IMO. Also quite fast, but not something you won't be able to handle, I reckon.
Oh, absolutely. My GBB is quite the webber, but she doesnt hold a candle to either of my N. incei. They're definitely a step up in speed, but if someone can handle a GBB then there shouldn't be too bad of a learning curve. :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
Phormictopus, or Pamphobeteus
Phormics and Pamphos instead of N. incei for beginner-friendlyness? I am not so sure. Most (not all) Phormictopus species are very defensive and Pamphobeteus spp. can be as well (and some species like to use their urticating hairs generously, I heard from other keepers). The sheer size of the members of these two genera also make them quite intimidating. N. incei may be fast, but its is not a defensive species. Their dwarf size make them also more manageable.

Having experience with all three options, I personally would recommend N. incei and leave the Phormics and Pamphos for a later moment. They are awesome species, don't get me wrong. Just not something for someone who asks for a beginner option, IMO.

NukaMedia Exotics

Phormics and Pamphos instead of N. incei for beginner-friendlyness? I am not so sure. Most (not all) Phormictopus species are very defensive and Pamphobeteus spp. can be as well (and some species like to use their urticating hairs generously, I heard from other keepers). The sheer size of the members of these two genera also make them quite intimidating. N. incei may be fast, but its is not a defensive species. Their dwarf size make them also more manageable.

Having experience with all three options, I personally would recommend N. incei and leave the Phormics and Pamphos for a later moment. They are awesome species, don't get me wrong. Just not something for someone who asks for a beginner option, IMO.
"defensiveness" doesn't really make them harder to keep if you've kept a tarantula or two before, if you're using tongs as you should to feed and do maintenance. GBB can be defensive often as well.

sasker

Arachnoprince
"defensiveness" doesn't really make them harder to keep if you've kept a tarantula or two before
OP states that she has only experience with an adult Avic. She has two slings, an A. avicularia and a GBB. She also asks for beginner recommendations. To me, that says that she is not looking for a specimen of two of the most defensive NW genera. For some people it is totally fine to start with, for example, an OBT, but generally speaking these people don't ask for recommendations on AB. I therefore have to assume that OP is not looking for a defensive species.

if you're using tongs as you should to feed and do maintenance
Assuming that the OP is not an idiot, she will not try to hand-feed her tarantulas nor do maintenance without tongs. With the proper precautions, every species can be kept safely. I raised an I. incei to adulthood and never did it bolt out of its enclosure. They tend to be a bit skittish and one should be prepared for this. But the tarantula will just bolt to a safe place in its enclosure and stay there when disturbed. That is pretty easy to work with for a beginner, compared to a Phormictopus cancerides bigger than your hand that attacks anything within striking distance.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Phormics and Pamphos instead of N. incei for beginner-friendlyness? I am not so sure. Most (not all) Phormictopus species are very defensive and Pamphobeteus spp. can be as well
See, that's what I read before I got them, but it hasn't been my experience at all.

Currently have 4 Pamphos and 8 Phormics. Total number of threat poses/strikes from all of them combined: 0. They tend to just walk into their hides when disturbed.

Number of threat poses/strikes from my two P. sazimai: 837. This week. Who knew? I still like them anyway, you just have to know that they're very defensive and be ready for it when you're doing maintenance/feeding/rehousing.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I love my Neoholothele incei girl and I love her web palace too. Yes, she is extremely fast, but I have never seen any type of defensive behaviour from her. Just make sure she has somewhere to hide, so she doesn't feel like bolting out of the enclosure is her only option.
DSC08327-2.jpg
DSC08337-2.jpg

NukaMedia Exotics

See, that's what I read before I got them, but it hasn't been my experience at all.

Currently have 4 Pamphos and 8 Phormics. Total number of threat poses/strikes from all of them combined: 0. They tend to just walk into their hides when disturbed.

Number of threat poses/strikes from my two P. sazimai: 837. This week. Who knew? I still like them anyway, you just have to know that they're very defensive and be ready for it when you're doing maintenance/feeding/rehousing.
See, agreed.
OP states that she has only experience with an adult Avic. She has two slings, an A. avicularia and a GBB. She also asks for beginner recommendations. To me, that says that she is not looking for a specimen of two of the most defensive NW genera. For some people it is totally fine to start with, for example, an OBT, but generally speaking these people don't ask for recommendations on AB. I therefore have to assume that OP is not looking for a defensive species.

Assuming that the OP is not an idiot, she will not try to hand-feed her tarantulas nor do maintenance without tongs. With the proper precautions, every species can be kept safely. I raised an I. incei to adulthood and never did it bolt out of its enclosure. They tend to be a bit skittish and one should be prepared for this. But the tarantula will just bolt to a safe place in its enclosure and stay there when disturbed. That is pretty easy to work with for a beginner, compared to a Phormictopus cancerides bigger than your hand that attacks anything within striking distance.
You basically negate your own point with your second paragraph, if any tarantula can be kept safely (as you say) and OP won't hand feed then why not a fairly easy terrestrial with low care requirements where the only danger is indeed sticking your hand in the enclosure?... Also Pampho or Phormic is not in any way comparable to keeping an OBT since they hardly bolt as the OBT often do, and assuming every N. incei will bolt into their enclosure when that is obviously not the case is a bad assumption.

dianemarie

Arachnopeon

No I am not a true idiot, and enjoy your feedback ty

sasker

Arachnoprince
I have a P. sp. mascara and she is a friendly giant. She only kicked hairs when I rehoused and nothing more than one would expect from a Brachypelma sp. I had a Phormictopus (never found out which one, just that it was a Cuban species) that was very easy to take care of as well. It just went into its hide when disturbed. However, a friend of mine has a Phormictopus sp. Green that rears up whenever you walk by its enclosure. It's quite a hassle to refill the water bowl, lol. I hear P. canceridus tend to be rather 'assertive' as well.

You basically negate your own point with your second paragraph, if any tarantula can be kept safely (as you say) and OP won't hand feed then why not a fairly easy terrestrial with low care requirements where the only danger is indeed sticking your hand in the enclosure?... Also Pampho or Phormic is not in any way comparable to keeping an OBT since they hardly bolt as the OBT often do, and assuming every N. incei will bolt into their enclosure when that is obviously not the case is a bad assumption.
I did negate nothing and I stick to my opinion. Defensiveness may not make a difference to an experienced keeper, but this is not the case for a beginner. It is simply no fun if your heart starts to pound and your palms start to get sweaty just at the thought of having to open the enclosure to clean out the water bowl. I never said OBTs are on par with phormics or pamphos. It was meant as a hyperbole to show that species that are easy to care for are not necessarily beginner-friendly. Again, the OP only has experience with one tarantula, the slings do not really count as experience.

Anyway, I think it is quite useless to let this debate drag on for much longer. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I agree with you that phormics and pamphos are awesome and do not require a ton of experience. However, I disagree that the N. incei's speed make it a less suitable choice than a high strung phormic.

NukaMedia Exotics

I have a P. sp. mascara and she is a friendly giant. She only kicked hairs when I rehoused and nothing more than one would expect from a Brachypelma sp. I had a Phormictopus (never found out which one, just that it was a Cuban species) that was very easy to take care of as well. It just went into its hide when disturbed. However, a friend of mine has a Phormictopus sp. Green that rears up whenever you walk by its enclosure. It's quite a hassle to refill the water bowl, lol. I hear P. canceridus tend to be rather 'assertive' as well.

I did negate nothing and I stick to my opinion. Defensiveness may not make a difference to an experienced keeper, but this is not the case for a beginner. It is simply no fun if your heart starts to pound and your palms start to get sweaty just at the thought of having to open the enclosure to clean out the water bowl. I never said OBTs are on par with phormics or pamphos. It was meant as a hyperbole to show that species that are easy to care for are not necessarily beginner-friendly. Again, the OP only has experience with one tarantula, the slings do not really count as experience.

Anyway, I think it is quite useless to let this debate drag on for much longer. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I agree with you that phormics and pamphos are awesome and do not require a ton of experience. However, I disagree that the N. incei's speed make it a less suitable choice than a high strung phormic.
I think you mean you didn't negate anything in proper English. Nobodies heart and palms will be reacting to cleaning a Pampho or Phormic water dish lol what kind of dramatization is that? Pretty simple to pour in water or pick it up with tongs like what?...

sasker

Arachnoprince
I think you mean you didn't negate anything in proper English.
I am not a native English speaker, but I am happy for you that you feel superior for being one :D

Nobodies heart and palms will be reacting to cleaning a Pampho or Phormic water dish lol what kind of dramatization is that?
Erm...many arachnophobes who get into keeping tarantulas to overcome their fear of spiders would disagree with you. I liked the anecdote on Tom Moran's blog where I literally passed out when he first tried to handle his G. porteri and it made a sudden move. So yeah, sweaty palms are a real thing.

But kudos to you for your fearlessness. You are awesome, dude! :astonished::astonished::astonished:

NukaMedia Exotics

I am not a native English speaker, but I am happy for you that you feel superior for being one :D

Erm...many arachnophobes who get into keeping tarantulas to overcome their fear of spiders would disagree with you. I liked the anecdote on Tom Moran's blog where I literally passed out when he first tried to handle his G. porteri and it made a sudden move. So yeah, sweaty palms are a real thing.

But kudos to you for your fearlessness. You are awesome, dude! :astonished::astonished::astonished:
Lol using an example of arachnophobes is not the normal person keeping a Phormic or Pampho, and OP is not either it seems from this post with him owning 3 T's already so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Lol using an example of arachnophobes is not the normal person keeping a Phormic or Pampho
It is more common than you might think and keeping a Phormic or a Pampho in that case is indeed not normal. A person specifically asking for beginner species is to me an indication that there might be still some 'uneasiness' around spiders.

Again, I don't count two slings as full 'tarantula experience'.

Anyway, before this debate digresses any further I am leaving this discussion.

@dianemarie There were some good suggestions given so far. Success with your next tarantula :)