New world species that web a lot

PancakesHimself

Arachnopeon
I want to start keeping tarantulas and i want to get a new world tarantula as my first one, but i can't decide which species to get. I would like a tarantula that webs up its enclosoure or atleast its burrow. Could you give me some tips which species to get?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So buy a 'GBB' - Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. You can't go wrong.

I would love to suggest even a E.murinus (just check this pic of my female, if you like web) but isn't the best spider for a beginner, honestly.

E. murinus II.jpg

E. murinus.jpg

Phia

Arachnopeon
Chromatopelma cyaneapubescens - beautiful but skittish. They're excellent to watch grow up because they change colors every molt. I wouldn't suggest them if you have any dreams of handling, though. (imo no tarantula should be handled purely for the enjoyment of the keeper, emergency situations only)

My Psalmopoeus irminia webs up her enclosure pretty good. So long as the enclosure is the appropriate size, lol. I wouldn't recommend this spider for a beginner

Avicularia avicularia make some pretty nice web tunnels that are interesting. They'll hide in them and you'll rarely see them.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Can’t go wrong with a GBB. I would suggest N. incei, however, they are little speed demons. I’ve yet to keep a tarantula that has given me as many problems as my N. incei GCF has given me. That thing can move:confused:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
C. cyaneopeubescens: they are almost too easy to keep, color change with each molt is impressive.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
C. cyaneopubescens - Fast and skittish but pretty much bulletproof care-wise
View media item 44938
D. diamantinensis - Fast, skittish & can have an attitude but they don't have urticating hairs and they're pretty small.

N. incei - Very fast and skittish but they make the last two species seem like utter slackers when it comes to webbing.
View media item 48289
G. iheringi - Web a lot for a terrestrial, fast & skittish but easy to care for.

Uial

Arachnosquire
I would also recommend N. incei, they are small though, might look big on pictures, but they are teeny tiny babies compared to the typical terrestrials you see around. If you want a big spider right away, it's not the one for you. N. incei have some moisture requirements, so a little more care intensive than your normal beginner spiders. They are wonderful webbers, but shy, mine mostly sits in the tunnel network she created with web and reinforced with substrate, so I really don't see much of her, it's always a treat to find her adding on to her web in the wee hours of night sometimes. Mine also eats like crazy, ate a superworm as long as herself the other day. So yeah, they are really fast too, and skittish, not a spider for handling or even viewing all that often, but the web is crazy impressive.
Heres a rare picture of her webbing:

20190307_020627.jpg

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
GBB like the others have said. They, even as slings, web like crazy. Plus they're good eaters which eliminates a lot of the "why isnt my spider eating" worry. I have 2 of the boogers and love them. Gorgeous as both adults and slings.

cold blood

Staff member
N. incei just may be the NW webbing champ, with GBB just behind. Incei are also dwarves, maxing at about 3.5", and also have no urticating hairs, uncommon for NWs. Very fast, but rarely defensive.

sasker

Arachnoprince
As a very first I would suggest a GBB. Their skittishness is not so bad. If you are not used to keeping tarantulas, you might be startled by their sudden dashes to their burrows at the slightest disturbance, but you get used to this quickly. At least they do not tend to bolt out of the enclosure, up your arm, in your face, you get the idea. Or at least not in my experience.

N. incei, as others have suggested, should be treated more carefully. Super fast and when they take off, they really take off.

@Nightstalker47 suggested two Psalmopoeus spp. and a Tapinauchenius. Beautiful species, but I would wait a little as an absolute beginner. They are all arboreals without urticating hairs, but they can all move very fast (especially the Tapi), they are a bit more defensive (at least the Psalmos, never owned a Tapi) and have more potent venom (at least the Psalmos do, I am not sure about the Tapi).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
GBB or N incei, can't go wrong. They web completely differently. GBB may cover the entire container like a cloud, or only local area of container

Incei, live in burrows, and will make a carpet of webbing, with MULTIPLE entry/exit points. When you drop a cricket down, you never know where they are going to come out for dinner. It's a blast.