New Wheel Bug (Arilus Craigslist)

Moshtico

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, still extremely new to the hobby. One species that was on my list of things to keep was native to where I live here in South East Ohio, US, the Wheel Bug (Arilus cristatus). I figured it was going to be a while until I got one as in my area they are very hard to find. Well yesterday as I was visiting the in-laws I looked down and literally had one crawling up my leg. Now who am I to not take advantage of such luck, so I snagged it up and brought it on home. I couldn't find too much care on these but I figured it would be pretty close to any other assassin bug. Hope to find some more and more critters to add to the collection. IMG_20170930_194325425.jpg IMG_20170930_194311117.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice find! Care is pretty simple. Keep them on the drier side, you've already got climbing surfaces, so now it's just feeding once a week or so and it should be good!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great find! They're pretty easy to care for. Occasional misting, a few crickets a week, and something to hide in/behind. They liked cork tubes for climbing/hiding - a little too well, if you actually want to see them out and about! Mine spent most of their time inside the tubes.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They enjoy having some hiding spots, but you can definitely focus on climbing spots for them.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Wow, I've never heard of Arilus craigslist before! :p

Seriously though, nice new addition, hope it does well for you! :)

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
A. craigslist can be dangerous, try to only handle it near a police office or somewhere with security cameras. ;)
They are communal, IIRC, but slightly more aggressive towards each other than the norm for assassins. These are on my wishlist, but I can never find any assassin bugs around where I live.