New twist on an old question: Reptile Cage

Ace Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay, I got my first Argentinian Black and White Tegu recently. Very cool little guy, a bit nervous and rowdy but thats to be expected at his size/age. He is in a 30 gallon tank right now but I am planning on building a custom cage within the next 6 months to house him when he begins to put on some size.

Here is the dilema/question: Instead of building a large cage (8x4x4) I was wondering if anyone else has tried housing a large lizard/reptile in a connecting cage? In other words, has anyone set up a medium sized cage with a hide that has the ability via a pipe or tube that connects to another medium cage? One could be warmer than the other or have more ventilation. I'm also curious if anyone has tried this in a vertical format, with a ramp leading to another enclosure above the first one with a basking area etc. The idea here is that the two medium enclosures would be easier to move and build but actually produce a larger square footage area.

I am capable of building a large single enclosure but just thought it was an interesting idea... I could even set it up where one enclosure was inside and connected to an outside cage via something like a doggie door. Any thoughts out there, especially from the owner of a Tegu or Monitor lizard? Thanks.

dovii88

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well since they like to burrow....build a cage on top..and a connecting cage on the bottom so it can walk or crawl down..if you kno wat i mean...that would be cool..and you could have the top be a little bigger..

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That would be a neat Idea, but personally I just find that more work. A single large cage would be the best thing to do in my opinion. My tegu has a 6x3x2 foot cage and it'll do him good his whole life, yes most people say go bigger, but I personally think it's ok since i take mine out alot to free roam. He really seems to enjoy it outside his cage every once in awhile, these are really affectionate lizards.

I'm also on building a cage/pen outside in my backyard for both my black throat monitor and B/W tegu. It's going to be somewhere around 10'L x7'Wx6'H. It'll have a large pond in it with various plants(non poisionous of course), rocks and a huge log, almost as if a tree has fallen over. I'm actually even thinking of having a small tree in there as well. It'll have premaid burrows for them to get away from the sun if they want. This should be done within the next year or so. They'll only be out there all day during summer, and one at a time, not both at once. Currently my 2 little guys tolerate each other and I hope they will as they grow, but there is no way I'd leave them alone together unsupervised.

Sorry about going off topic.

I just had an idea based off of your idea when I was about to hit 'submit'. Your idea with an outside and inside cage wouldn't be bad at all. Make a large fenced cage outside, while a wooden cage inside. So he has the choice of where he wants to be during the warmer months and during colder months just have a "door" that you can lock preventing him to go outside. I wouldn't worry to much though cause he should be hibernating.

dovii88

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea like they have at pounds for dogs..that would be cool..

i would go the extra mile and dig up a small pit maybe 5 feet or so..and fence the border..so if he does dig its no biggy..and he wont escape

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yea like they have at pounds for dogs..that would be cool..

i would go the extra mile and dig up a small pit maybe 5 feet or so..and fence the border..so if he does dig its no biggy..and he wont escape
I was gonna do that with my lizards cage as well, but not 5 feet. I was gonna dig about 2-3 ft max, and just put fencing on the bottom as well, like a giant fence caged filled with substrate. :D

Ace Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a nice setup P. Novak, I had also been brainstorming about outdoor enclosures. Just as a side question for Novak, what did you build your cage from? I know most people use plywood but I am curious as to how you sealed it from moisture... Just any non-toxic deck sealant or what? Thanks again.