New to the insect hobby

NYAN

Arachnoking
what else can I use that can be commonly found in a typical home?
I’m not sure what a typical home is to you but my home always has eco earth/cocofiber in it. Coco fiber holds moisture if necessary, is soft, non toxic and promotes burrowing when necessary. If you don’t want to do coco fiber you can use soil from the hardware store. However, the kind you want isn’t for planting plants, but filling holes in. You should be able to get 50lbs of it for like $5. Avoid any soil that says organic because it’ll still have things added to it. My opinion is to stick with coco fiber since it’s safe and you don’t need to buy it in such bulk.

Kennef

Arachnopeon
What are you trying to keep? Bark is bad for burrowing species and pretty much most terrestrial invertebrates. Some barks contain woods that are toxic to inverts also.
Death Feigning beetles ;-; I screwed up so many times today.. tomorrow I will go buy play sand.. I will just have to maybe offer my mom money xD

Kennef

Arachnopeon
Bad news. Walmart does not have Play Sand, my mom was more than happy to bring me to Walmart but unfortunately they don’t have it. I could go to Petco to pick up some sand substrates, like vita sand, crushed ground walnut shell, bearded dragon sand, etc. will these be okay? While I’m there Icod also grab some eco earth(dried not brick) so I can mix it with the sand.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Bad news. Walmart does not have Play Sand, my mom was more than happy to bring me to Walmart but unfortunately they don’t have it. I could go to Home Depot today if my grandpa can drive there(doubt he knows how though) or tomorrow I could go with my dad. Will they be okay on paper towel temporary?
If you wanted to, you could order online from amazon calcium free sand. Home Depot should have play sand though. I’m not familiar with your species, but I don’t think a day or two on towels would be awful.