New to the hobby?

Ghkenn

Arachnopeon
I've been researching and lurking on these forums for a while now, but I think I'm ready to have a pede (or three) of my own.
I'm thinking about ordering from BugsinCyberspace for my first pedes.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! uwu

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I've been researching and lurking on these forums for a while now, but I think I'm ready to have a pede (or three) of my own.
What part of Washington you from? There is an expo this weekend at the Puyallup Fairgrounds Sat/Sun starting at 10:00am. there is usually millipedes for sale there.
There are actually 4 annual decent expos around the PNW
https://www.pacnwrs.com/
http://www.nwreptileexpos.com/

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Get the African giant millipede, that is; if you have the funds to.

Ghkenn

Arachnopeon
What part of Washington you from? There is an expo this weekend at the Puyallup Fairgrounds Sat/Sun starting at 10:00am. there is usually millipedes for sale there.
There are actually 4 annual decent expos around the PNW
https://www.pacnwrs.com/
http://www.nwreptileexpos.com/
I actually live in Kent, I had no idea about anything going on this weekend? I'm usually pretty good about finding these things out hah.
Thanks so much for letting me know though, I'm definitely going to check it out

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I actually live in Kent, I had no idea about anything going on this weekend? I'm usually pretty good about finding these things out hah.
Thanks so much for letting me know though, I'm definitely going to check it out
Good luck I hope you find your millipede!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I highly recommend BugsInCyberspace and picking some out at an Expo is great too. :)
The ivory millipede (Chicobolus spinigerus) is gorgeous and often more visible and supposed to be one of the hardiest and easiest millipedes to care for but I’ve never had success with them and no idea why.

Narceus americanus and N. gordanus would also make great choices although the latter tends to be buried more.

Welcome to the hobby! :D

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Get the African giant millipede, that is; if you have the funds to.
Not for one’s first millipede, surely! o_O They’re rather expensive and there are many wonderful species that cost less, even in the prohibitive States. :rolleyes:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yes, BIC would be a great resource. You can follow classifieds here to keep an eye on what is available, but buying from someone in your state would be a great way to reduce shipping stress. :rolleyes:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I highly recommend BugsInCyberspace and picking some out at an Expo is great too. :)
The ivory millipede (Chicobolus spinigerus) is gorgeous and often more visible and supposed to be one of the hardiest and easiest millipedes to care for but I’ve never had success with them and no idea why.

Narceus americanus and N. gordanus would also make great choices although the latter tends to be buried more.

Welcome to the hobby! :D
I agree with you about the ivories! I bought two of them last spring - and they've already given me several dozen babies. They are super easy to take care of and are usually out in the open where I can see them.

I also love the Texas Gold Orthoporus ornatus. I was lucky enough to find a couple of them in New Mexico last spring. No babies yet - but then, I'm not even sure if I've got a female. I've never gotten around to trying to sex them. Regardless, they're beautiful 'pedes - and big!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Not for one’s first millipede, surely! o_O They’re rather expensive and there are many wonderful species that cost less, even in the prohibitive States. :rolleyes:
It was my first! Worked out great actually.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Whatever you pick, get a half dozen or more of them. The more the merrier.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Whatever you pick, get a half dozen or more of them. The more the merrier.
While it costs more, getting at least three (probably more) heightens your chance of getting viable eggs. The millipedes will triple their numbers in a few months with the proper care (and lots of cucumber).

Ditto what everyone else said, all of these are good starters.