1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to the hobby

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Seamus Gillespie, Aug 5, 2017.

1. jaycied

jaycied Arachnosquire

Idaho
    Advertisement
    I think for a beginner, you really should do away with the common names :p if you're going to be in this hobby you're not going to want to use them. Some hobbyists know what some of the common names are, but mexican red knee could mean any of like 5 species. Scientific names only please.

As far as A genic, G pulchripes, and B albo, great beginner Ts. Can't speak to N incei though, having never owned one

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tenevanica

Tenevanica Arachnodemon

Again, no use for common names. We all know the scientific names here. As long as you know the scientific names, which you do, don't put the common names in parentheses. Please.

G. pulchripes and B. albopilosum are both excellent beginner species. The other two you could probably handle, but I'd call them more intermediate species. The A. geniculata because they're pretty defensive and the N. incei because they require higher humidity and their care is more difficult.

Also, don't go off the deep end here. Are you prepared to procure housing for 10 full sized tarantulas? You can house hundreds of slings on a shelf that would hold one or two enclosures for some of those big beasties. Acanthoscurria geniculata and Grammostola pulchripes will both grow to 8+ inches in DLS. Do you have enough space to keep all those? Can you care for this many tarantulas? Don't overwhelm yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seamus Gillespie

Seamus Gillespie Arachnopeon

Yes definitely think I can easily handle this amount of adults if they all make it that far, I'm not worried about the humidity factor having kept poison dart frogs for years I've that one down to a fine art... And as for room my frog/gecko/aquarium/scorpion room is where they'll be and there's plenty of room for them there... I made sure of that... My only problem is the missus hates frogs and tarantulas... Guess she's gonna have to get used to them lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

That's a great start to a good collection. Nicely done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Seamus Gillespie

well gone slightly mad arrived home last week with 2 Neoholothele incei, 2 Acanthoscurria geniculata and another 2 brachypelma Smithi... i think i've been bitten by the tarantula bug:joyful:

• Love Love x 1
  6. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

All fun choices, but now you should take the time to raise and enjoy them before treating any more symptoms of the tarantula bug. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seamus Gillespie

ha ha Ungoliant i think you might be right considering my better half still dosent know there are nearly 20 tarantula slings in the house yet nearly 2 months later..... hidden in plain sight.... or is it a case of shes so sick of me doing this stuff that shes immune to it... probably 50/50

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Arachnosupporter

Yeah, when I read the initial "I went nuts" statement, I thought, "Yay, another beginner went beyond the experience level and bought some OWs before they were prepared for them."
    But you bought a pretty decent selection. Maybe a bit many for your first foray into the hobby, but nothing stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Fafner

Fafner Arachnopeon

Sweden
    Grammostola Pulchripes shouldnt be a problem for you. I started whit Grammostola's

10. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

You can always give the same joke response my husband gives when I notice a new gun: "Oh that? I've had it for years."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnobaron Active Member

What a fabulous group of species you've chosen and they are all perfect for a new person to the hobby! What a relief it was to see that when it is so often not the case. I'm actually glad you picked up a couple of faster growers, because the first list contained much slower growers.
    The A.geniculata and N.incei will grow a lot faster than all the Brachy's... except your albopilosum will grow pretty quickly too.
    Neoholothele incei will top out at about 2.5-3". They are going to be a lot faster and more skittish than the others. They are a wonderful species who is a prolific webber - they will create a web palace, with several entrances/exits, within a couple of days. Unfortunately, they are a bit more reclusive, but you have all the others to offset that. They have incredible appetites for their smaller size.
    You also have a couple of species who can be a bit defensive as they get older, but you will be able to accommodate that by the time that they get to be a size where it stops being adorable. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. dragonfire1577

dragonfire1577 Arachnobaron Active Member

Nice selection of T's you have going! B. emilia is a personal favorite. Also a fan of A. geniculata although they can be pretty nasty tempered T's in some cases since they are large and the one I've worked with wouldn't hesitate to throw up a threat pose and a cloud of hairs, definitely not one to put your fingers near lol, still love the species and they are great eaters and very hardy.

• Like Like x 1