New to the hobby. Loving every day

Bree24

Arachnosquire
Lol ok then good thing to know, wont be posting on this website again. This is the kind of helpful tactics we get. Good day to all ill keep my hobby to myself from now on and seek the only advice from my breeder rather then been disected by the internet.
That sounds like a very bad idea, considering that a breeder is more likely to give misinformation in the interest of making a profit than the people on this board (who genuinely care about the wellbeing of the animals).

Not Claiming that breeders will do this, but to say that no salesperson has ever lied in order to upsell a product would be a stretch.

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Lol i had the pleasure of holding her once ie she ran onto on my hand chilled for a few seconds and walked back onto her web. My gbb isnt bolty or super fast she really calm slow and appears gentle.

I never try to stick my hand in her cage n pick her up to hold her. Seems like i may have taken things a little close to home, thats only because i love the spiders i have collected and my passion grows with each day. Ya the information may be a little agressive but my breeder has over 30 years in this business. And does a very good job in geeking out with me.

All i was trying to do was reach out to some experienced people and make a few frinds in the process.

Im not the type of person to take anyones crap but i guess this time i got offended.

I will do my dilligence before posting again. Thank you to the friends ive made. But to the others remain being bitter i could care less. Good day to you and watch my collection grow.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Don't mind Viper he's unpleasant to interact with at the best of times, in my experience. Some people just love to lecture. :rolleyes:

It was clear to me in the post that you knew handling was frowned upon, but with people who are recovering from a fear, knowing you can hold your animal is a very good thing. (Especially in the case that they get stuck in a bad molt and require assistance. If you're too scared to help they could emerge injured or not emerge at all.)

Though gotta be honest, GBB and genics wouldn't be my first choice for letting skitter across my hand.

As for getting more, my suggestion is to wait until you've got a molt- and also to see if you're sensitive to urticating hairs after a short period of exposure. It would be really unfortunate to get something like a Nandu sp. and find out that you've gotta get rid of it or resign yourself to hives all the time.

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Im currently going through the process with jenny (a.genic) she her colours have faded and abdomin has swelled a little. She spends most of her time in the watered part of her enclosure. With it being around 30degrees here i clean her water dish when ie filled with substrate or leftovers/poop. Both of my specimens leave the bulbous?? In there water dishes and i remove their droppings when i find them. I will be honest these being my first 2 specimens i do watch them intently and like being able to "hover" but im not poking around there cages to agitate them. They really dont seem to mind me. Both are always in the open the gbb is really chill and its kind of neat most specimens ive seen are bolty and angry, mine doesnt appear to me. Still a juvenile.
Grammastola pulchra
Brachypelma hamorii
3rd is a surprise sling. Will show when they arrive.

The reason i got a pulchra?
There not often found and can have a heavy pricetag. But for the shear beauty of a big black spider :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It is a wonderful hobby, I hope the surprise tarantula is a Poecilotheria metallica, or a Pterinochilus murinus!

Fingers crossed!!!!
Let's hope for the day where S.aruana would be frebies, instead :)

All i was trying to do was reach out to some experienced people and make a few frinds in the process.
I know that I'm late at this party but... you want to become my friend? :)

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :kiss:

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
These are great choices.

In general, it's best to minimize handling of any tarantula. They don't have the neurological capacity to engage in or consent to social behavior with humans.

A pouncy spider like A geniculata or the GBB thinks that anything that moves is food..... including your fingers!!

A paintbrush, catch cup with a lid and being calm are much better choices then handling. Of course, exceptions abound in emergency situations.

In terms of next species, any Lasiodora species is a great choice. If you want to do a terrestrial OW as a first one, M balfouri and H pulchripes are good but pricey choices. Both sexes are gorgeous. Definitely start with a 1"-2"sling, nothing bigger.

They are super fast, but not mean or aggressive spiders. Wait until they retreat to the burrow before opening the cage.

If you want to walk on the wild side, M balfouri slings can be kept communally safely and actually do better that way. The vast majority of tarantulas are ruthless cannibals.

Like GBBs, M balfouri slings web very complex patterns. They also construct elaborate burrows.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
You probably don't need any sand at all. Organic chemical free peat is worth looking at because it is more mold resistant them Coco fiber is.

Straight Coco fiber will work just fine.

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
Hey all.

So i got not one but 2 juvenile female Ts from an awesome breeder who also sold me 2 awesome enclosures for them

Chromatopelma cyanopubesence
Acanthroscuria geniculata.

Ive noticed my geniculata is a savage beast. But i love her all the same. She loves to fight me over her water dish. Its a weekly ritual. Same with food offerings. She has no problem beating up the crickets that keep me up at night...

Ughhh... lol

My GBB on the other hand is really laid back doesnt seem to mind me poking around her enclosure or adding water to her dish and web. Talk about gentle T. Even had the pleasure of handling her. She strolled across my hand.

Feeling of tarantula fear isnt gone but i have a stronger love for them. I do realize that no 2 are the same. I dont ever try to hold them. But have had a gentle experience.

I have also orderd 3 more Ts
Grammostola pulchra
Brachypelma hamorii
And my 3rd is a suprise from my breeder.

What type should i look into next?
Terrestrial and new world.
I dont have the cajones to own old world just yet.

Thank you kindly! View attachment 282541 View attachment 282542
Welcome to the hobby :smug: you should check out Brachypelma vagans. Super cheap and a damn good lookin’ T. Wish mine would come out and say hi. It’s been sealed away for over a month. Patience Daniel San :rofl:

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the hobby :smug: you should check out Brachypelma vagans. Super cheap and a damn good lookin’ T. Wish mine would come out and say hi. It’s been sealed away for over a month. Patience Daniel San :rofl:

Being new to the hobby my breeder is very helpful in helping me pick the right species. Mostly ones that are out n about. Petko from dark den once said to a beginner its not alot of fun having a ghost species. Lol. Maybe one day when my collection expands. But for now its mostly "rock types" lol ;)

Spiderella74

Arachnopeon
Hey all.

So i got not one but 2 juvenile female Ts from an awesome breeder who also sold me 2 awesome enclosures for them

Chromatopelma cyanopubesence
Acanthroscuria geniculata.

Ive noticed my geniculata is a savage beast. But i love her all the same. She loves to fight me over her water dish. Its a weekly ritual. Same with food offerings. She has no problem beating up the crickets that keep me up at night...

Ughhh... lol

My GBB on the other hand is really laid back doesnt seem to mind me poking around her enclosure or adding water to her dish and web. Talk about gentle T. Even had the pleasure of handling her. She strolled across my hand.

Feeling of tarantula fear isnt gone but i have a stronger love for them. I do realize that no 2 are the same. I dont ever try to hold them. But have had a gentle experience.

I have also orderd 3 more Ts
Grammostola pulchra
Brachypelma hamorii
And my 3rd is a suprise from my breeder.

What type should i look into next?
Terrestrial and new world.
I dont have the cajones to own old world just yet.

Thank you kindly! View attachment 282541 View attachment 282542
They both are absolutely beautiful best of luck!

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
I know you said you're looking to get another terrestrial, but if you're looking into getting OWs some day, I would highly recommend getting a couple arboreal NWs. Specifically a C. Versicolor sling. I had one and they're wonderful to keep. They can be a bit skidish sometimes, which would be good practice for the future. And they're absolutely beautiful both as slings and adults!

Bree24

Arachnosquire
Being new to the hobby my breeder is very helpful in helping me pick the right species. Mostly ones that are out n about. Petko from dark den once said to a beginner its not alot of fun having a ghost species. Lol. Maybe one day when my collection expands. But for now its mostly "rock types" lol ;)
Pet rocks are overrated. Jars of dirt are way more exciting!

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
I know you said you're looking to get another terrestrial, but if you're looking into getting OWs some day, I would highly recommend getting a couple arboreal NWs. Specifically a C. Versicolor sling. I had one and they're wonderful to keep. They can be a bit skidish sometimes, which would be good practice for the future. And they're absolutely beautiful both as slings and adults!
Isnt the c. Versicolour really hard to keep? Ive heard ppl say its tedious work and they like to reject food to?

Im warming up to the idea of an arboreal but i dont know what to expect, if someone would like to explain a little on how they are ill certainly look into it.

Heres the thing OW scare me. They throw gang signs and are really strong n i dont want to get bit. Lol