New to the hobby. Loving every day

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Hey all.

So i got not one but 2 juvenile female Ts from an awesome breeder who also sold me 2 awesome enclosures for them

Chromatopelma cyanopubesence
Acanthroscuria geniculata.

Ive noticed my geniculata is a savage beast. But i love her all the same. She loves to fight me over her water dish. Its a weekly ritual. Same with food offerings. She has no problem beating up the crickets that keep me up at night...

Ughhh... lol

My GBB on the other hand is really laid back doesnt seem to mind me poking around her enclosure or adding water to her dish and web. Talk about gentle T. Even had the pleasure of handling her. She strolled across my hand.

Feeling of tarantula fear isnt gone but i have a stronger love for them. I do realize that no 2 are the same. I dont ever try to hold them. But have had a gentle experience.

I have also orderd 3 more Ts
Grammostola pulchra
Brachypelma hamorii
And my 3rd is a suprise from my breeder.

What type should i look into next?
Terrestrial and new world.
I dont have the cajones to own old world just yet.

Thank you kindly! 20180719_104850.jpg 20180729_230840.jpg

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Welcome to the hobby! If you are really into it, the zeal you have now will only increase as you will come to appreciate these animals more and more. However, a word of advice, do not have your hands anywhere near enough that one of your specimens can stroll across them. Very dangerous situation for your T, and potentially VERY uncomfortable for you. I am not going to start beating the suffering horse (I wish it would die), but search “handling” here on AB and get the consensus.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey all.

So i got not one but 2 juvenile female Ts from an awesome breeder who also sold me 2 awesome enclosures for them

Chromatopelma cyanopubesence
Acanthroscuria geniculata.

Ive noticed my geniculata is a savage beast. But i love her all the same. She loves to fight me over her water dish. Its a weekly ritual. Same with food offerings. She has no problem beating up the crickets that keep me up at night...

Ughhh... lol

My GBB on the other hand is really laid back doesnt seem to mind me poking around her enclosure or adding water to her dish and web. Talk about gentle T. Even had the pleasure of handling her. She strolled across my hand.

Feeling of tarantula fear isnt gone but i have a stronger love for them. I do realize that no 2 are the same. I dont ever try to hold them. But have had a gentle experience.

I have also orderd 3 more Ts
Grammostola pulchra
Brachypelma hamorii
And my 3rd is a suprise from my breeder.

Terrestrial and new world.
I dont have the cajones to own old world just yet.

Thank you kindly! View attachment 282541 View attachment 282542
A. genics are known for that.

GBB is fast and skittish , so be aware it could bolt and it's faster than the average terrestrial. Once it webs up that enclosure though it will likely just retreat if disturbed.

The water dish will likely get lost in the webbing. If it does just give it a new one rather than dig for the old.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
If you want to eventually move onto OW I’d start with some of the faster new worlds. The Psalmopoeus genus comes to mind, and so does the Tapinauchenius genus (they are thought to be the fastest genus of tarantula). Neither of those genuses have those annoying urticaring hairs to deal with either :)

Oh you said terrestrial. I personally love everything in the Brachypelma genus

Last edited:

starnaito

Arachnosquire
If you can find one, get an Euathlus sp Red. They are adorable, docile, and curious. Mine was a rescue and was in pretty rough shape for a while, but she looks great now and has the best personality. I used to have a G. pulchripes, and would recommend them, too. They tend to hide a lot as slings and juvies, but they are simply gorgeous when you get to see them. :)

Your genic sounds like a typical genic. I have a penultimate male and a young female. They've been eating like beasts and growing like weeds. And God forbid you try to mess with their water dishes...

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Hahaha! How delightful!
I really enjoy the feedback.
Those are some seriously beautiful specimens.

Old world is something i will eventually get into. But the new world im just having so much fun with.

I know alot of ppl generally dont like handling of a T. But my gbb just strolled across my hand while i was adding some green to her home. Wasnt anything scary, was a very gentle experience.

Im just curious to know if there is one particular sp that is more tolerable.

Thank you kindly being new to the hobby im not sure what to look for. Hearty good eater. Lives a long time :)

Bree24

Arachnosquire
Not always a good eater, but my favourite new world has to be the G. rosea or porteri. Such beautiful spiders, even as little slings. Along with Euthlas sp. red, porteri/rosea was the first on my list of Ts to get.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
It is a wonderful hobby, I hope the surprise tarantula is a Poecilotheria metallica, or a Pterinochilus murinus!

Fingers crossed!!!!

Ashlynn Rose

Arachnosquire
I adopted a little G. rosea a while back. She thinks that she's an arboreal, but I love her. She's a lot prettier than I thought she would be. I definitely recommend them.

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
It is a wonderful hobby, I hope the surprise tarantula is a Poecilotheria metallica, or a Pterinochilus murinus!

Fingers crossed!!!!
From the little peices of info i have gotten he told me that its terrestrial new world. Is from his private collection. And is used to bring ppl over there fear of big spiders

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
From the little peices of info i have gotten he told me that its terrestrial new world. Is from his private collection. And is used to bring ppl over there fear of big spiders
Well that's disappointing.

So no unboxing videos where the camera tripod gets knocked over and a large shadow comes across the screen before it goes all static....

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Well that's disappointing.

So no unboxing videos where the camera tripod gets knocked over and a large shadow comes across the screen before it goes all static....
Hahahaha!!! There is always a chance! Should see the video of geniculata deciding to test the reflexes of my hand when i try to add water around her dish (i think shes premolt but have no clue, she still eats but its not as strong response)
She darts at the water droplets. Or jumps up the side of her enclosure. Talk about strength!.

Lolol thanks for the confidence.
All youd hear is . ... Ssspppppiiiiiideeerrr!!!! Then the video cuts to black... next shot... the whole house is destroyed. Me holding a sign like wild coyote... help...

Lololol ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Even had the pleasure of handling her.
Good way to kill a T, esp a fast species.

I dont ever try to hold them
Seems like you do based on the above.

None- sounds like these are your first, so the smart thing to do is learn about them, observe, read, instead of collecting them like Skittles. Too many people hop into something new only to leave the hobby for various reasons etc. Or they get a bunch, and some end up dead because they are NEW owners.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
The water dish will likely get lost in the webbing. If it does just give it a new one rather than dig for the old.
Yup, and the webbing is usually strong enough for you to plop a water dish on it if you can't reach the substrate anymore.

collecting them like Skittles
Now, I understand, and agree that collecting a bunch of animals as soon as you become interested in them is not a great idea, but this always confuses me.

I've never met, or heard of, a person collecting Skittles o_O
Skittles are for eating. Taste the rainbow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup, and the webbing is usually strong enough for you to plop a water dish on it if you can't reach the substrate anymore.

Now, I understand, and agree that collecting a bunch of animals as soon as you become interested in them is not a great idea, but this always confuses me.

I've never met, or heard of, a person collecting Skittles o_O
Skittles are for eating. Taste the rainbow.
It's a phrase nothing more, I could use marbles, cars, etc etc

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Good way to kill a T, esp a fast species.

Seems like you do based on the above.

None- sounds like these are your first, so the smart thing to do is learn about them, observe, read, instead of collecting them like Skittles. Too many people hop into something new only to leave the hobby for various reasons etc. Or they get a bunch, and some end up dead because they are NEW owners.
Lol ok then good thing to know, wont be posting on this website again. This is the kind of helpful tactics we get. Good day to all ill keep my hobby to myself from now on and seek the only advice from my breeder rather then been disected by the internet.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol ok then good thing to know, wont be posting on this website again. This is the kind of helpful tactics we get. Good day to all ill keep my hobby to myself from now on and seek the only advice from my breeder rather then been disected by the internet.

You typed conflicting information, do you expect people will just ignore that hahahah.... :rolleyes:

There was no dissecting. You said X and Y, and someone, in this case me, mentioned how X and Y are exactly opposite. If you call that being dissected, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
This is why it's a good idea to lurk for a while before posting. You get to know the users, and don't get butt-hurt when they reply to you the way they reply to everyone, all the time.

It is better to get information from a large group of knowledgeable people. Your breeder can't possibly know everything, and probably doesn't have time to answer every question you will inevitably have. And it's just fun to geek out with other T people. Everyone on this thread was being pretty nice to you, and @viper69 is just being himself. He's an acquired taste. He's very blunt, but he knows what he's talking about.

This is a forum on the internet focused on spiders, not a place to be overly sensitive. Thicken up your skin a little bit, and read some more. Nobody wants to run you off, this is an excellent resource for information. We all love tarantulas, and that means we want you to stick around so that you have all the information you need to allow yours to thrive.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Curse you @Mirandarachnid, for typing faster than me and beating me to it! :rage::rofl:

I really hope you don't let one bad experience deter you from accessing one of the most useful sources for tarantula care you can find. The majority of the notable people you find on here genuinely care for these animals. That passion can turn into agressive sounding words when the animal's life is potentially in danger by inexperienced keepers. It's not personal and it shouldn't be taken as such. It's worry for the animal.

Oftentimes, the majority of online and pet shop information is wrong for these animals, so having a source like arachnoboards where you can contact hundreds of knowledgeable people to help you with any problem you can think of is invaluable. I know a lot of newcomers get put off by the tone they interpret some of the more seasoned people to have, but please don't let it keep you from this site. We honestly do want what's best for your tarantulas, and many on here have the actual know-how to ensure that's what your tarantulas get

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is why it's a good idea to lurk for a while before posting. You get to know the users, and don't get butt-hurt when they reply to you the way they reply to everyone, all the time.

It is better to get information from a large group of knowledgeable people. Your breeder can't possibly know everything, and probably doesn't have time to answer every question you will inevitably have. And it's just fun to geek out with other T people. Everyone on this thread was being pretty nice to you, and @viper69 is just being himself. He's an acquired taste. He's very blunt, but he knows what he's talking about.

This is a forum on the internet focused on spiders, not a place to be overly sensitive. Thicken up your skin a little bit, and read some more. Nobody wants to run you off, this is an excellent resource for information. We all love tarantulas, and that means we want you to stick around so that you have all the information you need to allow yours to thrive.
True all the way. The OP brought this on him/herself by typing 2 different things in DIRECT contradiction of each other.:smug:;)