New to the hobby - enclosure disturbance question

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the hobby and the forum... Hi all!!
:)

I've had Valentina, by gorgeous GBB (approx. 3.5", 1.5 years old, confirmed female, housed in a 9x9x9 exoterra cube, super chill and relaxed temperament), for a month now and things have been going rather well as she's becoming accustomed to a new novice owner. haha

She went on a bit of a fast (45 days, 25 of those days while in my care) when I got her. I would assume it was due to the relocation. Her previous owner used to feed her two or three superworms every 2-3 weeks. The only real change I have made to anything she was provided with is her water dish. She has a larger reptile dish that i changed out for 2 stacked sauce cups to give her a bit more floor space and less disturbance when i change her water. She seemed to enjoy the change and finally ate (1 superworm) less than 24 hours later. She also laid down some webbing in the extra floor area. The night before last, she was a busy gal and spun a lot of webs, particularly to the lid of her enclosure and the side door. I was hoping she was hungry again and figure the meal the other day wasn't enough so I gave her 2 of head smash superworms last night. They were not head smashed well it seems as BOTH of them dropped to the substrate and borrowed immediately. Everything i read here stated that is should get them out of her enclosure immediately, which required me cupping her and removing 95% of the substrate to get them. I tried to place everything back the way it was but she lost the webbing on her floor and whatever as attached to the lid. All the webbing on the leaves still remain but the tunnels to the floor have pretty much collapsed. It wasn’t until this morning that i noticed I place the cork wood a bit too high and she no longer has as much space between the decorations and lid. Pictured is what it was before. Now the leaves are about 1/2" from the lid. I want to give her the space back but I'm so worried about causing her more stress.

Should i leave it as is or make a quick change tonight when i get home?

Attachments

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'm new to the hobby and the forum... Hi all!!
:)

I've had Valentina, by gorgeous GBB (approx. 3.5", 1.5 years old, confirmed female, housed in a 9x9x9 exoterra cube, super chill and relaxed temperament), for a month now and things have been going rather well as she's becoming accustomed to a new novice owner. haha

She went on a bit of a fast (45 days, 25 of those days while in my care) when I got her. I would assume it was due to the relocation. Her previous owner used to feed her two or three superworms every 2-3 weeks. The only real change I have made to anything she was provided with is her water dish. She has a larger reptile dish that i changed out for 2 stacked sauce cups to give her a bit more floor space and less disturbance when i change her water. She seemed to enjoy the change and finally ate (1 superworm) less than 24 hours later. She also laid down some webbing in the extra floor area. The night before last, she was a busy gal and spun a lot of webs, particularly to the lid of her enclosure and the side door. I was hoping she was hungry again and figure the meal the other day wasn't enough so I gave her 2 of head smash superworms last night. They were not head smashed well it seems as BOTH of them dropped to the substrate and borrowed immediately. Everything i read here stated that is should get them out of her enclosure immediately, which required me cupping her and removing 95% of the substrate to get them. I tried to place everything back the way it was but she lost the webbing on her floor and whatever as attached to the lid. All the webbing on the leaves still remain but the tunnels to the floor have pretty much collapsed. It wasn’t until this morning that i noticed I place the cork wood a bit too high and she no longer has as much space between the decorations and lid. Pictured is what it was before. Now the leaves are about 1/2" from the lid. I want to give her the space back but I'm so worried about causing her more stress.

Should i leave it as is or make a quick change tonight when i get home?
Hi, and welcome to the boards/hobby! :)

Honestly based on the fact that you have a screen top enclosure, i'd lower it. Larger Ts have the ability to chew through screen like that, and a bored T loves to chew. Screen is also not good in general, especially for non-arboreal species, because they're clumsy with climbing and can get their tarsal claws stuck. Ts have lost limbs because of this, and if they fall from a large enough distance or even only a few inches just wrong, it can kill them.

One solution to this would be to replace the mesh with a well-ventilated sheet of acrylic. Another would be to perhaps look into a different enclosure entirely.

Would you mind posting an image of the enclosure in its entirety?

Last edited:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
The mesh lid is no use it will be able to chew through that so I guess the furthest away from it the better if its going to web up the floor just give it anchor points and let it do its thing

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
Hi, and welcome to the boards/hobby! :)

Honestly based on the fact that you have a screen top enclosure, i'd lower it. Larger Ts have the ability to chew through screen like that, and a bored T loves to chew. Screen is also not good in general, especially for non-arboreal species, because they're clumsy with climbing and can get their tarsal claws stuck. Ts have lost limbs because of this, and if they fall from a large enough distance or even only a few inches just wrong, it can kill them.

Thank you! :) I've been gathering a lot of information from the boards so I'm very happy to finally be posting.

This is the only full on view of this enclosure that i have. I can get better pictures tonight. I'll be sure to lower the wood down to where it was before to provide more space. I do intend to upgrade her enclosure at some point but have read not to do it until after her next molt or when it's time for a deep clean. She's been housed in this enclosure since Dec 2018 by her previous owner.

Attachments

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Thank you! :) I've been gathering a lot of information from the boards so I'm very happy to finally be posting.

This is the only full on view of this enclosure that i have. I can get better pictures tonight. I'll be sure to lower the wood down to where it was before to provide more space. I do intend to upgrade her enclosure at some point but have read not to do it until after her next molt or when it's time for a deep clean. She's been housed in this enclosure since Dec 2018 by her previous owner.
Actually, it may be better to rehouse her before her next molt if she isn't looking like she could flip to molt any day now. It could encourage her to settle in faster.

Looks like the floor space is pretty cluttered in there for a decently sized T, although the angle isn't great. Seems like you've got the sub right up to the bottom of the door, so the height shouldn't be too much of an issue (looks somewhere between 1.5-2xs her legspan from the substrate to the top of the enclosure). If you can rehouse her sooner rather than later though I'd probably go ahead and do it. :)

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
Actually, it may be better to rehouse her before her next molt if she isn't looking like she could flip to molt any day now. It could encourage her to settle in faster.

Looks like the floor space is pretty cluttered in there for a decently sized T, although the angle isn't great. Seems like you've got the sub right up to the bottom of the door, so the height shouldn't be too much of an issue (looks somewhere between 1.5-2xs her legspan from the substrate to the top of the enclosure). If you can rehouse her sooner rather than later though I'd probably go ahead and do it. :)
The substrate is just below the door actually, maybe a 1/2 to 3/4" deep. Here s a pic of her on the floor after I opened up the space. You can see the moisture from the previous water dish.

As far as rehousing goes... what would you suggest for her, size wise? Most of the research on GBBs I've done say no more than 5gals as they tend to not like too much space. I want to give her the best possible set up I can and if a bit more space is require I will do what I can to provide that. I don’t want her to just survive but to thrive!:D

I don't foresee getting a new enclosure for about a month so I’ll have to tweak what I do have until then.

Attachments

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
The mesh lid is no use it will be able to chew through that so I guess the furthest away from it the better if its going to web up the floor just give it anchor points and let it do its thing
I have no idea they could and would chew thru the mesh I'm looking at new enclosures now.

cold blood

Staff member
ce. I do intend to upgrade her enclosure at some point but have read not to do it until after her next molt or when it's time for a deep clean.
First, there are no re house rules aside from dont re house one actively molting.

Second, t enclosures NEVER need a "deep clean". Substrate doesnt just go bad, and ts arent dirty animals....cleaning can be done with a tweezers, just spot clean bit by bit any uneaten prey or boli.

The substrate is just below the door actually, maybe a 1/2 to 3/4" deep.
Thats really shallow sub...a big issue with terrestrials in enclosures with front opening doors.

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
First, there are no re house rules aside from dont re house one actively molting.

Second, t enclosures NEVER need a "deep clean". Substrate doesnt just go bad, and ts arent dirty animals....cleaning can be done with a tweezers, just spot clean bit by bit any uneaten prey or boli.

Thats really shallow sub...a big issue with terrestrials in enclosures with front opening doors.
I thought that GBB's were semi-arobeal and tend to never require much substrate? I have no issue adding more but feel it would be best suited for when i'm able to rehouse her as it would just limit her space more so in her current enclosure. I'll see if i can do anything at te end of this week but it will likely been a months wait.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I have no idea they could and would chew thru the mesh I'm looking at new enclosures now.
They definitely can when determined enough with nothing better to do, although it doesn't happen often and the bigger risk is her climbing on it, getting stuck, and getting hurt as a result.

I thought that GBB's were semi-arobeal and tend to never require much substrate? I have no issue adding more but feel it would be best suited for when i'm able to rehouse her as it would just limit her space more so in her current enclosure. I'll see if i can do anything at te end of this week but it will likely been a months wait.
They don't need much for digging, but they need it for physical safety. GBBs will definitely make use of a little extra height in their enclosures and web up to high heaven (calling them semi-arboreal seems to be a bit of a hot-button issue), but physically they're still built like a terrestrial and aren't the best climbers nor made to take a fall. Thus it's better to make sure that if they do fall, it isn't far and there is plenty of soft substrate to land on, rather than a thin layer atop the hard bottom of the glass enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
I thought that GBB's were semi-arobeal
This is a misconception, they are terrestrial....height however, is indeed less of an issue with them because, being heavy webbers, they are quite adaptable.

A big reason no one has them burrow is because many dont give enough sub to do so...self fulfilling prophecy.

Now they dont often burrow, this is true, but they can....but only if its offerred.

Here is my female emerging from her burrow to meet a mate.
While your t may need a re house....its not something so critical you need to be worried about it.

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
This is a misconception, they are terrestrial....height however, is indeed less of an issue with them because, being heavy webbers, they are quite adaptable.

A big reason no one has them burtow is because many dont give enough sub to do so...self fulfilling prophecy.

Now they dont often burrow, this is true, but they can....but only if its offerred.

While your t may need a re house....its not something so critical you need to be worried about it.
That's the first time I've ever seen a GBB that dug a burrow! That's incredibly neat.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My GBB's feet never touch the ground... they have always made webbing up in their decorations.

I would definitely suggest a rehouse when you can. GBB do fine with a little more space to web up.

She didn't have any choice in an enclosure that is completely bare...

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon

A big reason no one has them burrow is because many dont give enough sub to do so...self fulfilling prophecy.

Of all the images i have seen i've never seen them in a burrow. I'm interested in providing her with the extra space and substrate to see if she will burrow!

I'm looking around and finding some suitable options but most standard enclosures have the mesh screen top. I'm also seeing some mini counter top greenhouses and may need to use some of my crafty skills to switch out some glass for acrylic with air holes. :happy:

What is the height maxium i should provide and no exceed? I don't want her falling and hurting herself.

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
Here ya go! I was able to lower everything with no issues and didn't even need to move her.
Side note... would the mummy hand make a good hide? :D

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
would the mummy hand make a good hide?
It wouldn't be a hide, just a dead end. Hides shouldn't never have backs or bottoms. A common newbie mistake is to see the hide as a home, which its not....its more like a front door....its a starting place for an eventual burrow....the burrow would be the home.

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
It wouldn't be a hide, just a dead end. Hides shouldn't never have backs or bottoms. A common newbie mistake is to see the hide as a home, which its not....its more like a front door....its a starting place for an eventual burrow....the burrow would be the home.
Oh, i dont think it's a home, but an area with coverage for her to well, hide of course. The hand actually quite open. Like I'd you place your finger tips of each digit on a table. i dont want to use anything that wouldn't be apperiate for a ts space so thats why i ask. I think it would but a nice addition for her... or maybe another t seeing as this enclosure will be freed up soon. I was warned about this!! Haha